Sax on the Web Forum banner

Insuring Instruments

9K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  chemEtoo 
#1 ·
What does everyone do to insure their instruments? Homeowners policy? Independent company? Any recommendations (good and bad) would be appreciated.

I travel quite a bit with my horns...I've heard some companies won't cover that situation...???

Aside from my horns and my wife's instruments, we just bought our duaghter a Loree oboe and want to make that everything is (thoroughly) covered.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Great idea of thread here! :)

I'm interested by that subject too, especially from those who are in Québec, Canada (to distinguish the facts from other provinces, states or countries, namely USA).

I have a guitar and 2 saxophones and I envisage to buy a pro alto sax in the near future, and a pro soprano afterwards...

As there are thieves and other hardship that could cause some prejudice to my beloved instruments, I really care about being correctly insured.

Comments, advices and experiences are all welcome! :cool:

#3 ·
I have a seperate instrument policy with my insurance company - the same one that handles my homeowners policy. The problem became the 'appraisal.' I don't believe the local repair shop or retail operation knows the value of a '61 Mark VI tenor or any of my other horns. So I went with a policy where I set the price for each instrument and we figured out a yearly insurance cost. It was more money but hopefully, I won't get into the 'replacement cost' situation if something happens.

'Professional Use' is also a higher rate. As far as traveling, that's something I haven't looked into. My gigs are usually local or drive-able.

#5 ·
Mine are covered by Clarion Musical Instrument Insurance (www.clarionins.com) . To the best of my knowledge, that's world-wide 24/7 coverage. I thought the cost for what I have was quite reasonable. Customer service and response was promt and professional.

Previously, I was covered by Sinfonima Insurance in Germany. The main difference between that and Clarion was a rider that stated if my instruments were in my auto between 24:00 - 06:00 they were not covered from theft.

Regardless of whatever insurance you choose, ask specifically to make sure there are no such riders - or if there are, at least that you are aware of them. Also if you go with a home-owner's policy, make sure that it covers you as a professional and not as a hobbyist. Your home insurance agent may give you a "no sweat" answer but if your sax is stolen while you're on tour in Timbuktu, there goes your coverage.

Both insurance companies I use(d) are tailored for professional musicians, and that's one thing I like about it.

#8 ·
Mine are covered by Clarion Musical Instrument Insurance (www.clarionins.com) . To the best of my knowledge, that's world-wide 24/7 coverage. I thought the cost for what I have was quite reasonable. Customer service and response was promt and professional.
I've heard about Clarion for years, and have considered using them. Has anyone here ever actually filed a claim with them? How did it work out?

#9 ·
#14 ·
OK...I spoke with a rep at Clarion and I think this is the route we will go. Next step for which I humble myself before SOTW...

What is the best way to get an appraisal? Local repair shop if I know them pretty well and can trust them.... Or...???

Own a VI tenor, Buffet clarinet (probably 25 years old), and a Jack Moore flute. I think Moore is still around and might be able to get something from him and can probably just get the price for a new Buffet clarinet...but what about the tenor???

Thanks!

#15 ·
Better double check, but I believe Clarion will take internet store prices for up to $5,000.00 as the appraisal. You give them the referenced web site. Anything above that, you need a written appraisal. In the past I have taken my horns to a music store (one that knows what they are doing) and to music repair guys who wrote the appraisals on their business letter head.

Regarding your tenor specifically, that's a toughie because I don't know where you could drive from where you live to get someone like Matthew Aaron at saxforte to write the appraisal. For your VI, someone like that is probably going to be your most authoritative appraisal. You know the area better than I ;), but these are the kinds of appraisals I've gotten in the past.

#16 ·
I am the owner of a (small) HO and commercial claims adjusting service. I did a few "public service" threads on this subject a couple of years ago. To sum it up:

1.If you do not "play for pay" Your HO policy covers you up to the Cov. C limit. It is wise to have "documentation" = appraiisal = photos = Proof of Purchase. Even so you are covered. If you are credible, you will have no probs with your claim (assuming that you are with a top drawer ins company).

2. If you do "play for pay" then you should probably have additional coverage on your horn.

These comments are based on Massachusetts HO requirements and are intended for general informational value, the coverage requirements in your area may or may not be different. Interested parties should consult their insurance adviser before commiting to coverage.

#17 ·
+1 on musicproinsurance.com I've been happy as a customer without claims. I don't have personal or anecdotal experience about their claims process, though.

+1 on homeowner's insurance not covering instruments used for pay. My homeowners insurance company was very careful to point out that receiving even a nominal amount for playing ($10 every few weeks at a Monday night big band) would make the instrument played ineligible for coverage, even on a claim in a non-paid situation (such as a jam session, or being stolen from my residence).

This is a repeated post; the original is missing from the thread (as of 1/29/10) presumably due to the ongoing SOTW hiccups.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.