Sax on the Web Forum banner

Radio Improved Tenor

4K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  BarrySachs 
#1 ·
Hey,

I've a radio improved tenor and am thinking of a change.......anyone any idea what these sell for these days ?

Thanks

#7 ·
Don't know if you sold the Radio Improved yet, only price I saw was between 300-400lbs UK, I am not sure how this transfers in to US $$. But a very good example of a RI not needing any work and in good outside condition would easily fetch $2,000-$3,000. US Dollars, they are great horns !! To this day imho they are the best selmers made, down side is the B-Bflat keys ae on left side and tend to catch on pants legs, even though it has a guard.
Good Luck, or keep it, you then have a top horn. bb

#8 ·
Don't know if you sold the Radio Improved yet, only price I saw was between 300-400lbs UK..
That was for a repad, not the selling price.

Pictures will help. If you are sincere in selling, put up pictures and an asking price. You'll find out quickly whether you have priced it low. If priced high, you'll get offers.

#10 ·
RI and Super saxophones are great values. Their street price these days in the US hovers around $2500-$3k depending upon cosmetics and operating condition.

Zoot Sims, Al Cohn and Teddy Edwards played those horns for most of their career.

Joe Temperley, the baritone player, has a RI tenor that was his main axe before he switched to baritone.

I think an original lacquer RI in better than average playing shape, ie "turn-key condition", could sell easily for $2700. A dealer would charge $3800. I'd put in on the market for $3200 to test the waters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.