Sax on the Web Forum banner

Who do u think, is the best tenor player alive?

74K views 227 replies 157 participants last post by  FunkyHorn626 
#1 ·
I was just wondering, cus i wanna listen to more, and different tenor sax players.. i just listen to Michael Brecker, Joshua Redman, Kirk WHalum, Eric Marienthal, John Klemmer, and sorry.. but just a little bit from Coltrane..

If u could recommend some Jazz sax players! from Smooth to real crazy Jazz..

#5 ·
Whenever she will do the occasional stop on Tenor, Candy Dulfer is reeeaallly amazes me. Almost sounds like she's always growling. Love it... ;) The best in the world? Who knows.

#7 ·
Maybe instead of "who the best tenor player alive" is, you'd like to know about some good current players to check out. Let's go with that one.

1. If you're into crossover stuff, check out Chris Potter's "Underground" album and the other albums by that group (there's a live one and a second studio album that I haven't heard yet). The group is super rocking and grooving and great for someone who digs mixtures between jazz and rock/funk/dance music. And the playing is world-class.

2. Along those lines, definitely check out Rudder. The sax player is Chris Cheek and he's one of my heroes. www.myspace.com/rudderbandnewyork -- you won't be sorry.

#37 ·
Maybe instead of "who the best tenor player alive" is, you'd like to know about some good current players to check out. Let's go with that one.

That's what I was going to suggest.

Now....add Nelson Rangell to the list. I actually like his tenor better than alto.

#10 ·
Joshua Redman is an awesome player in every way, but aaroncorts may would prefer someone else, maybe Jan Garbarek, maybe Chris Potter, maybe David Sanchez , maybe ... It's all a matter of taste

#12 ·
hmmm, lots of different opinions again, and for the styles, they will differ,i would say modern sound chris potter has to be well up there!,, swing scott hamilton,..funk lenny pickett..soulful/gospel,, kirk whalum,..and and the last living great, from the past sonny rollins,! those all come to mind as living, players.
LOts of others of course.

#11 ·
Sorry, but last time I checked John Cotrane and Michael Brecker were no longer in the "best... alive" pool. That being said, If you want to listen to learn there are a lot of tenor players who have passed on that you need to listen to. They come from a lot of different genres of music too...

Coltrane
Brecker
Zoot Sims
Stan Getz
Coleman Hawkins
Dexter Gordon
Sonny Rollins (alive)
Joe Henderson
Lester "Prez" Young
Houston Person (live)
Scott Hamilton (live)
Chris Potter (live)..... all of these guys will be mentioned over and over again, but my point is that there isn't a "working pro" (past or present) you shouldn't be eager to hear.. they all have something to offer that may just wind up being incorporated into your personal idea of what you want your sound to be.

#13 ·
Oh, yeah, all a matter of taste, I agree.

I saw a concert with Dave Liebman, Joe Lovano, and Joshua Redman, who was subbing for Michael Brecker. To this musician's ears, Joshua Redman simply blew the other two saxophone gods out of the water. What I hear with Josh is a very strong sense of MELODY.

I'd also like to put in a thumbs up for Sonny Rollins. He's still around, isn't he?! Similarly, I hear a really strong melodic voice in his playing.

If Brecker were still alive, I'd go with him as #1 for the monster technique and his fluid, perfect upper register. He was always amazing in live show, especially when playing with Jeff 'Tain' Watts. I think they were soul mates. :)

#14 ·
Oh, yeah, all a matter of taste, I agree.

I saw a concert with Dave Liebman, Joe Lovano, and Joshua Redman, who was subbing for Michael Brecker. To this musician's ears, Joshua Redman simply blew the other two saxophone gods out of the water. What I hear with Josh is a very strong sense of MELODY.

I'd also like to put in a thumbs up for Sonny Rollins. He's still around, isn't he?! Similarly, I hear a really strong melodic voice in his playing.

If Brecker were still alive, I'd go with him as #1 for the monster technique and his fluid, perfect upper register. He was always amazing in live show, especially when playing with Jeff 'Tain' Watts. I think they were soul mates. :)
Jeff 'Tain' Watts, to my mind, is the best musician of all the modern drummers I've heard. I've seen him literally control the flow and direction of a tune when playing with a number of different outstanding musicians, not to mention that he's one of the more complex conventional drummers around.

#15 ·
I think a great reason for asking and answering this question is the encouragement that there are great artists whom we can support live. All the classics are great and they are classics and legends and are always worthwhile. That said. I wouldn't say best, but, those I like are...

Jerry Bergonzi
Chris Potter
Mark Turner
Donny McCasslin
Ravi Coltrane
Joe Lovano
Sonny Rollins
Seamus Blake
Chris Speed
Chris Cheeks
Steve Grossman
Dave Liebman

Just dig everyone you can....

#38 ·
I think a great reason for asking and answering this question is the encouragement that there are great artists whom we can support live.
Don't think THAT was the reason of the OP but.......... :?

#18 ·
I enjoy Pete Christlieb as well as the above mentioned folk. I also like Sax Gordon, but he probably doesn't count in this conversation.

#23 ·
Another vote for Eric Alexander. Check him out sitting in with David Hazeltine and his trio on "The Classic Trio meets Eric Alexander." Great Stuff!

On the cheap, go to Pandora Dot Com and create a station by searching Eric Alexander. It will stream a great mix of tenor saxophonists, as well as others, meeting a similar profile.

#24 ·
Sonny. Was there ever any doubt? :D

#31 ·
It's not a top ten but those are some of my favorite albums of some of my favorite Tenor players alive:

Chris Potter - Underground
Ralph Lalama - Momentum
Ralph Moore - Rejuvenate
Harry Allen - Tenors Anyone?
Pete Christlieb - Apogee
Wayne Escoffery - Hopes And Dreams
Abraham Burton - Cause And Effect
Craig Handy - Flow
Seamus Blake - The Call
David Murray - Special Quartet

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.