Sax on the Web Forum banner

"How the Beatles Destroyed Rock and Roll"

27K views 95 replies 43 participants last post by  lexbro 
#1 · (Edited)
"How the Beatles Destroyed Rock and Roll", An Alternative History of American Popular Music by Elijah Wild (see correction below).

I'm just about a quarter of the way through this book, so this may be premature, but so far I'm impressed. The author, a musician and writer about music, traces American popular music, including jazz, during the 20th Century, giving his interpretation of how each style originated and segued into the next genre.

Seems to be well worth a read.

Make that Elijah Wald. Either I can't type or I can't read, take your pick.

#91 ·
Cool! I'll be interested to hear what you think!

#94 ·
I really like a lot of rap music. That being said to much of it now sucks so bad. How you can carry a whole song with one little musical phrase is beyond me. What ever happened to song from. Most rap now barely has an A section. Mos Def, Guru, Common are a couple guys that I really like. Guru is dead now but he did a three albums with major jazz artist that had great lyrics and great music. Jazamatazz was the name of the albums that guru did. The Roots are a great rap group that can really play and write some great music.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.