Sax on the Web Forum banner

Vandoren Blue alto - 2.5 too soft, 3 too hard

5K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  2thmechanic 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I play Meyer HR 7M with Selmer Series III. I'm using bluebox Vandorens 2.5, but I find most of the reeds in a box little too soft for me, when I buy box of 3's, they are mostly little too hard... I really like the sound of blue Vandorens, don't want edge in my sound (which is pretty bright from nature)... I like Miguel Zenon sound, warm, big, open... Any tips what reed to try? Thanks

#4 ·
You could try the new V12s. They're typically a little harder than the blue box, for the same strength number, so maybe a box of 2.5s will yield more useful reeds for you ?

They're more expensive than the blue box, but seem to be capable of more complex sound, as well, and can sound significantly warmer.

#5 ·
I made the switch from the traditional 2.5 to 3's about 4 years ago on all saxes and in my case it was just a case of getting used to them.
If you stick with the 3's, eventually your embouchure will get used to them. In the mean time you can maybe shave them down a bit if you know how.

#8 ·
Do you play your reeds right out of the box? (tsk, tsk)

Buy several boxes of 3's, play them all in one sitting, select the most vibrant ones (this does not mean softest), and simply take a tad more time to "cure" and "break" them in, and you will have a more robust sound without resorting to overly sanding or cutting them. Drawback? It takes more time and forethought. Your chops will thank you.

#9 ·
....simply take a tad more time to "cure" and "break" them in, and you will have a more robust sound without resorting to overly sanding or cutting them....
Absolutely ! Vandorens need a longer breaking in period that others.
You should play on a reed for at least an hour (starting out with only a few minutes a day and gradually increasing the length of time ) before you start working on it.

#16 ·
"Are lots of people really breaking in reeds this way, that means play the reed for just few minutes at begining and increase the time day by day? I actually never heard this..."
Absolutely. Like daigle said, people have different attitudes about how "anal" they are about the process. He even usues the word "ritual", which for many describes it to a tee. I'm more casual about it. I take it easy only the first time I play the reed, no extreme lows or highs, no percussive articulations and mf and quieter. Then I start to actually play it after that first session. Combination of vibration, and moisture cycles (wetting-absorbing moisture/drying out etc etc) breaks the reed in slowly. Since it's signifcantly harder than what I want it to be, I dont really play it too long, but I want it to settle into what it's going to be before I do anything to it.
Try this experiment: Take 4 brand new reeds that all play the same. Put them in your reed holder and play 3 of them in a rotation for a while and dont touch the 4th one. See how that 4th one is getting stiffer and stiffer over time? Its not. The others are softening and the 4th one is staying the same. Learn how cane changes over time and use these changes to your advantage.

#18 ·
A+
I always break in new reeds in a manner similar to this. I suspect the OP will find more useable reeds amongst his #3's if he breaks them in gradually before trying to modify them in any way. This, IMO, is the way to go.

#17 ·
You could try Gonzalez. They play very much like a good VD blue box - or better - and you get them im quarter strengths. A good EU source for Gonzalez is www.saxshop.nl - and they sell single reeds for testing new reeds. Strength of VD blue box and Gonzalez are quite close.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.