P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Runyon's for big band?

Forum Contributor 2006 Distinguished SOTW Member

Default Runyon's for big band?

can anyone make a recommendation on a runyon for big band?

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum Contributor 2014 gary's Avatar

I played lead alto on a Runyon Custom #7 for about a year and it worked very nicely.

Don't know what kind of music you play. This band played a normal repertoire of mixed styles plus a significant number of Latin pieces. The Custom worked well for me and my section mates preferred it to the Meyer I had been playing on previously.

I never played it with the spoiler in big band so I can assume that, if I ever really needed the power and cutting sound, playing with the spoiler would give me all I would've ever needed.

Oh. I just had a second thought. Although the Runyon quality is high, I had my mouthpiece professionally hand-finished. In that case, it might be better to order a Jody Jazz, which is based on the Custom and is hand-finished as part of the making process.

hey gary i was checking out the jodyjazz esp model it looks like a good mp...... i might have to order one

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum Contributor 2014 gary's Avatar

newking70, the Jody Jazz is based on the Runyon Custom. The ESP (which I now play) is an outstanding mouthpiece but it is not the Jody Jazz and it is considerably more expensive.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeonum Randall's Avatar
    Wilmington, Delaware (formerly Fukuoka Japan)

I use the Quantum Spoiler on my tenor and soprano for big band, Salsa, rock...everything.
    I can't recommend another piece more highly for a toot!
    Soprano: Martin Handcraft stencil- American Professional Altos: Yanagisawa A-pattern 9937 sterling, Saxgourmet Model 6, Cannonball 98, JK SX90 straight, Viking M21 Swing Sonic, TJ Prototype Sterling Silver, Vintage King C-mels: Aquila Sax matte black nickle Tenors: King Super 20 Silversonic, B&S Sterling Medusa, Ref 54, Buescher 400 TH&C Bari: JK SX90R satin silver, Maxtone flat matte laq. I am not a paid endorser for ANYTHING!

hola randall - what mp do you use with your vintage keilwerth's? 8)

Default Runyon tenor mpc

I play Red Runyon Tenor mpc in big band.

(the model # to be inserted here later.)

Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeonum Randall's Avatar
    Wilmington, Delaware (formerly Fukuoka Japan)

newk, the same piece....
    I have had some success with a metal #6 Beechler and Keilwerths too.
    Soprano: Martin Handcraft stencil- American Professional Altos: Yanagisawa A-pattern 9937 sterling, Saxgourmet Model 6, Cannonball 98, JK SX90 straight, Viking M21 Swing Sonic, TJ Prototype Sterling Silver, Vintage King C-mels: Aquila Sax matte black nickle Tenors: King Super 20 Silversonic, B&S Sterling Medusa, Ref 54, Buescher 400 TH&C Bari: JK SX90R satin silver, Maxtone flat matte laq. I am not a paid endorser for ANYTHING!

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Try the Runyon SR. Dark, smooth, and projects. A pretty cool piece to have in one's collection I feel. They still use the molds/tooling (tho slightly altered) from the 40's

i play the runyon custom (red) on tenor for big band . perfect for the job

The Runyon Custom Spoiler will work well for most big band playing. The projection is good, but still a nice, warm tone. I recommend 7 or 8 for alto (with most preferring 7), and 8 or 9 for tenor, with most preferring 8. Also, 8 or 9 for bari, but it is too bright with the spoiler for big band.

For something a little more aggressive, the Runyon Jaguar is excellent, but a much more expensive piece.
    You are all welcome to contact me at tenorman@teche.net, which is my public email address set up especially for my friends here on Sax On The Web.

I play Tenor in a big band and use the Delrin Quantum 8. Its great for standing up and blasting out solos but also handles the section work well. Most of our gigs are long all night affairs. I dont want to be struggling for 4 hours.

are they pretty good off the shelf, or do they need modifications?

They are pretty good off the shelf, better than stock Bergs, Links, Dukoffs, etc. Having it refaced is a plus, I had a Delrin Quantum that Mojobari worked on. It was pretty good before the reface, but after, it was on smokin' piece! I was able to use the Q for jazz band, contemporary praise band, and blues/funk jam sessions.