P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Borgani saxophones

Hybrid View

Default Borgani saxophones

I´m curious about the lack of posts regarding Borgani saxophones - I´ve seen one discussion with lots of posts - but recently nobody make statements about these horns. Is it because that very few people play them or...
    Regards Flora3

Forum Contributor 2006 Distinguished SOTW Member

Nobody can afford them

Quote Originally Posted by newking70
    Nobody can afford them

@ $3500 on pmwoodwind.com , I would rather buy a Borgani than a Selmer.

They are sold only at Roberto's in the U.S. and yes, they are expensive. They are handmade and it is my understanding that Borgani makes 30 per month. However, if you consider who plays them (Lovano, Marsalis) I believe that speaks volumes. Played one (alto) last week at Roberto's. Great ergonomics and sound. I want one!

Hi again
    Well the reason I posted this is because ...I have a Borgani 8) sorry for bragging, but I´m very pleased with it.
    Its a curved silver sop 157 J - and I just wanted to hear if other members are playing this kind of horn too and their experience with it.
    Regards Flora3

Distinguished SOTW Member
    & Forum Contributor 2010

I just bought(ordered) a new Borgani Vintage Tenor, the unlacquered brass one. I just found out today, I should have it by next weekend! I paid close to $5200.00 for it. Is that a lot of money? Sure it is...is that alot of saxophone, OH YEAH!!! Honestly, after playing several Borgani tenors at Roberto's last weekend, there was NO WAY I was going to continue playing the junk I've been playing, all mostly new mid $3000 production horns. Every one of them played out of tune at least somewhere. When I played the Borgani, I realized it's the FIRST and ONLY horn out of about 30-35 different ones I've played so far, that has played TOTALLY in tune from top to bottom...and the tone? He,he,he,he,he.....OH MY!!! I would have paid twice that for it now knowing and experiencing the VAST difference in quality and sound. When you try "other" horns and you can't tell much difference...there probably isn't...when you play another horn and your whole world changes after the first 2 notes....HOW DO YOU PUT A PRICE ON THAT?

Distinguished SOTW Member tinpalaceroach's Avatar
    Deep Dark Thoughts, Dangerous Bronx, NY and now Boreing Florida!

i found on a british sax retailer whose name escapes me now(will post later) borgani now makes a saxello and you can get your borgani in a pink gold finish! choices choices...

Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 2007 Morry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by josephmd
    They are sold only at Roberto's in the U.S. and yes, they are expensive. They are handmade and it is my understanding that Borgani makes 30 per month. However, if you consider who plays them (Lovano, Marsalis) I believe that speaks volumes. Played one (alto) last week at Roberto's. Great ergonomics and sound. I want one!
    I don't think who does or does not play a particular brand is of much importance. There are plenty of guys that are in Lovano and Marsalis' league that play other brands, so that tells you nothing. Also, they are other reasons that guys play particular horns. Mainly, monetary support. I don't honestly believe that Richard Elliot thinks the L.A. Sax is the best horn ever made.

The Borgani may, indeed be "all that and a bag of chips", but who plays them is no indication.
    JK SX90R Gold Lacquer over Nickel Alto
    JK SX90R Clear Lacquer Tenor

Current band:
    www.horndogsband.com
    www.facebook.com/horndogsband
    www.myspace.com/horndogsband

Take the Way-Back Machine to the 80's:
    www.myspace.com/cornerstonebandmusic

Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeonum Randall's Avatar
    Wilmington, Delaware (formerly Fukuoka Japan)

I used to play a very old Borgani soprano that was pretty good, no.... surprisingly good for the money, but nothing to write home about. Still, it served my needs well at the time.

To be honest, I am a tad bit sceptical about the hype on the newer horns.
    Same with the R&C horns....
    Plus the prices for these horns are bordering on usery.
    Still, I AM interested to give these newer horns a shot....but in no uncertain terms would I be willing to pay 5200.00 for it.

I KNOW that a lot of famous pro's endorse just for the cash. I am not casting doubt on everyone who endorses, but I have some very high profile pro friends who do not use what they endorse for much longer than it takes to shoot a photo of them with said product.
    Soprano: Martin Handcraft stencil- American Professional Altos: Yanagisawa A-pattern 9937 sterling, Saxgourmet Model 6, Cannonball 98, JK SX90 straight, Viking M21 Swing Sonic, TJ Prototype Sterling Silver, Vintage King C-mels: Aquila Sax matte black nickle Tenors: King Super 20 Silversonic, B&S Sterling Medusa, Ref 54, Buescher 400 TH&C Bari: JK SX90R satin silver, Maxtone flat matte laq. I am not a paid endorser for ANYTHING!

There are endorsements and there are endorsements. Lovano chose the Borgani to record his latest CD. He also contributed to the design. This is a small family run company. Laura Dreyer reviewed saxophones two issues ago in the Saxophone Journal and had nice things to say about all of the horns. What she said about Borgani mirrors Lovano's comment (a conspiracy, perhaps) and speaks to the sound of the horn. I play a silver pearl alto and what I like best about this horn is the sound. For me, it sounds better than the other modern horns on the market. And that, of course, is the only reason to spend hard earned dollars.

I agree. Among all of the current production pro horns available, the Borgani is my favorite. It comes closest in sound to my favorite vintage models. The price is a little steep, but you do get a great modern horn for the money. I had a Ref 36 horn for about two years, and although I liked it initially, I decided after playing it for awhile that it didn't quite stack up to my SBA, and sold it. After I tried the Pearl Gold Borgani Tenor a few months back, I was tempted to spend the big bucks to add one to my collection, but decided I'd rather get another "brace" of Martin's for the same money.
    I will say that Borgani really need to promote their horns through more dealers if they want to have a chance in the U.S. though.
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeonum Randall's Avatar
    Wilmington, Delaware (formerly Fukuoka Japan)

Need I remind you Joe Lovano also endorsed LA Sax?

Still I would agree with the above post...they need to get thier distribution worked out better. If these horns are really "all that" (and I hope they are!) then a few more dealers will be good to get the word out and prices down.
    Soprano: Martin Handcraft stencil- American Professional Altos: Yanagisawa A-pattern 9937 sterling, Saxgourmet Model 6, Cannonball 98, JK SX90 straight, Viking M21 Swing Sonic, TJ Prototype Sterling Silver, Vintage King C-mels: Aquila Sax matte black nickle Tenors: King Super 20 Silversonic, B&S Sterling Medusa, Ref 54, Buescher 400 TH&C Bari: JK SX90R satin silver, Maxtone flat matte laq. I am not a paid endorser for ANYTHING!

My original comment was not who endorsed them but who played them. Consider that Borgani makes 300 horns per year- that's 6 per week worldwide. They don't really need to ramp up their distribution. These are beautiful handmade horns produced by the best craftsmen in the world, not mass produced (and marketed) instruments.

Just want to make a comment on which horn Lovano is playing mostly.
    He have in the the recent years been playing Borgani tenor and sop.
    Everytime I´ve seen him 6 times since 2002, it has exclusively been Borgani saxophones he performed with. Sometimes he has been using Fl ligs and sometimes his selmer vintage screwless lig instead. (on tenor)
    Flora3

And I know that, Tim Garland, Bob Rockwell, Emmanuele Cisi, Pietro Tonolo for sure are using them and I´ve heard that David Sanchez is using them too.
    Flora3

Quote Originally Posted by flora3
    Just want to make a comment on which horn Lovano is playing mostly.
    He have in the the recent years been playing Borgani tenor and sop.
    Everytime I´ve seen him 6 times since 2002, it has exclusively been Borgani saxophones he performed with. Sometimes he has been using Fl ligs and sometimes his selmer vintage screwless lig instead. (on tenor)
    Flora3
    The last time I saw Lovano he was playing a straight alto (pain in the arse to mic)
    Do you know if that is Borgani or if not who makes it

Has anyone on hear played a straight alto

Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2008 Hurling Frootmig's Avatar

I have a straight alto. Not a big pain to mic in the studio. The only problem I find with it is playing in an ensemble as you don't hear yourself as well as a regular curved alto.

Joe had a bit to do with the LA Sax straight tenor so perhaps he has one of their straight altos as well.
    "We'd all play like Stan (Getz) if we could" - John Coltrane

~~~~~~~~
    The Woodwind Forum

Borgani does not currently make a straight alto to my knowledge.

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum Contributor 2014 gary's Avatar

Well, here we go again, LOL. I suppose the models of horns is a factor and obviously the player, but I played with a burnin' player a couple of weeks ago in a big band and combo who was playing a silver Borgani alto and I thought the overall sound was a bit harsh. Different strokes...and all that, wot?

Whether I play my Conn 6M or my Borgani, I usually wind up sounding like myself.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast