Sax on the Web Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

REVIEW: Voodoo "Tyrannosaurus" Rex Alto ("The Windup")

24K views 110 replies 22 participants last post by  patchmo 
#1 · (Edited)
*READ ME*
1. This thread is not about Steve Goodson, his past present or future. It is not about whether you like him or hate him. It is about a horn, the
Voodoo Rex Alto.
2. This thread is not about where the horn is made, or import issues.
I couldn't have said it better, myself!:D
The Evil one :twisted: is supposed to be coming out with a new model,...but it's not like anyone here is going to buy from him directly...except maybe a newbie off the turnip truck
Wrong again, Francis!:razz:
:cussing:Owww!!! I hate it when I fall off the truck:banghead:
...I do not see myself buying anything from the evil :twisted:eek:ne himself, now that he is back to being on his own,...without LASAX/Orpheus to make sure that people get what's coming to them;)
Great! More for me!!:mrgreen:
Next Chapter, "The Pitch."

#51 ·
Wow, this thread sure is wild and crazy :D! My review thread just wasn't cool or controversial enough I guess :(. Maybe I should have mentioned SG a few times... haha.

Anyway, with all the stereotypes and things aside, I'm glad you got a great playing horn Patchmo.

#61 ·
so, is it a good horn? and can i get one at a good price? i really like my steve goodson model tenor, if the voodoo rex is as good, or better, i would eb interested in getting one.

#65 ·
...is it a good horn?
Yes
...and can i get one at a good price?
You would need to check with Steve because I do not see the Voodoo Rex Tenor listed on his site, so I don't know what his current plans are. My impression is that he orders these in groups of about 20-25 based on demand.
i really like my steve goodson model tenor, if the voodoo rex is as good, or better, i would (be) interested in getting one.
I only have experience with the Saxgourmet Tenor Six & Voodoo Rex, so I can't provide any comparison. However, what I can tell you is that Steve is continuing to design improved saxophones, so it would be my guess that the Voodoo Rex is a step "up" on another branch of the Saxgourmet family tree.

#63 ·
I like this tread so much, that i'm really going to phone Steve and buy me self this particular alto... If enough chicken feather is an added value. And free shipping to the Balkans is required. Otherwise, i'm gonna summon me own spirits to deal with Steve.

#71 ·
No un-civility here, inquiring minds want to know. I would assume this review was posted to generate interest in the sax. If said interest is generated, it therefore follows that the inquiring multitudes would want to know the REAL price of this new Asian sax, as paid by a respected member of this community. It is entirely possible that this unit could be priced with a sliding scale. Think "Jim burns Louis apartment" and Louis Depalma as played by Danny Devito on Taxi ;)

#76 ·
I would assume this review was posted to generate interest in the sax.
:scratch:...:dazed:...:confused:...Uhhhhhhh...no, actually, I don't work for Steve Goodson, nor was I asked by Steve Goodson to write a review to generate interest in the sax, neither did I receive any discount from Steve Goodson, and I haven't met Steve Goodson in the flesh, or anyone who has identified themselves as being a friend, acquaintance, family-member, relative, long-lost cousin, Uncle, twice removed, business associate or partner, or pet, that has met Steve Goodson:lol::laughing:
...the inquiring multitudes would want to know the REAL price of this new Asian sax, as paid by a respected member of this community.
Boy, what have you been drinkin':? :blackeye: :drunken:
It is entirely possible that this unit could be priced with a sliding scale.
I paid the price on Steve Goodson's web-site (+ or -) :mrgreen:
Your price will depend on whatever sliding scale you believe exists or whatever arrangement you might work out with Steve Goodson.;)
(I am not an official endorser of Steve Goodson Saxgourmet products-that would be Tom Scott):D

#72 ·
No uncvility here either. I mean, it probably is a fine horn, with a rather silly (IMO) and long name.

Concerning patchmo's review--I think that it is fine to review any horn. However, the tediousness of the detail only served to keep it at the top of the 'new posts'. It comes close to being a bump--which I realize is what my posts here are doing.

I'm bowing out, and my ignore list grows...

#73 ·
No uncvility here either. I mean, it probably is a fine horn, with a rather silly (IMO) and long name.

Concerning patchmo's review--I think that it is fine to review any horn. However, the tediousness of the detail only served to keep it at the top of the 'new posts'. It comes close to being a bump--which I realize is what my posts here are doing.

I'm bowing out, and my ignore list grows...
+1 on H'kani's comment.

(BTW - isn't the preferred form on the noun "incivility"?)

#79 ·
I'm trying to use my psychology training to its full extent.
All day at work I push "buttons."
When I play my horns I'm pushin' "buttons."
When I'm on SOTW I like to find out whose "buttons" I can push.
Congratulations!!!:cheers:
It's now "official."
Your "button" has now been pushed!:D
(Your prize is a free, all expenses paid trip to beauoooootiful Canada!);)

#107 ·
Already addressed this quandary. Time will reveal all.;)
Ya'll have given me a fantastic idea:!: :cheers:
Since you introduced the fabulous:TGNCHK:, how 'bout you create little Troll Detective emoticons that you bestow on various SOTWers underneath their Avatars!
You could have different ones:!:
SHTHDTD
(Just trust me, these initials; though with the addition of certain vowels might be construed as having a negative meaning, really do have a very specific positive connotation!)
BSTD
(No, not that! Silly!! This stands for: Boy Scout Troll Detective; because we want to be all-inclusive.):D
JOTD
(Junior Officer Troll Detective)
DATD
(District Alto Troll Detective)
Feel free to suggest more:thumbrig:

#89 ·
So, in summary, Patchmo bought a horn for around $3500 that he likes. Given that similar horns are available for as low as $1300 made in more or less the same factories from more or less the same parts by more or less the same people, others are skeptical regarding either his motives or his sanity.

Personally, I don't think his motives are twisted - he seems to fully acknowledge that he's nuts. If he's got the dough and likes the horn, all the power to him. I probably paid way too much for my Cannonball Vintage (which I'm guessing is of very similar quality to his SG horn) as well, and I like it, so who am I to judge?

Would be nice to hear some clips, though Patchmo... the clips that SG posted on Youtube are of really crummy quality (combination of using a video camera's mic and youtube compression) - would be good to hear how the horn sounds with a proper recording setup, particularly next to your 54 as a comparison.

Cheers,

Pete

#108 ·
Given that similar horns are available for as low as $1300 made in more or less the same factories from more or less the same parts by more or less the same people, others are skeptical regarding either his motives or his sanity.
Sure! And if you got one of these, let me know where your review is:)
Personally, I don't think his motives are twisted - he seems to fully acknowledge that he's nuts.
What:shock:I thought I was the only sane one on here:!: :lol: :laughing: :D
Would be nice to hear some clips, though Patchmo
Hopefuly one of my computer owning friends can oblige. One of the bands I play with recorded some of our stuff I did on the SG Tenor Six

#91 ·
I'm wondering what psychology training you have. I'm leaning toward little or none.

#99 ·
I've deduced a couple of more things from this thread:

- Patchmo may in fact be the new Alon
- Deinstitutionalization may in fact have its drawbacks.

Pete

#101 · (Edited)
Why is it that every time I open this thread, I hear Curtis Fuller's JAMPH playing in the background?

#103 ·

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.