Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Default Re: The Saxophone in Christian Music?

Quote Originally Posted by smoothjazz1701 View Post
    There is nothing wrong with using your God given talents in the World. We are in the World but not of it.
    Yeah, I get that part, but what I was hoping for was an explanation on why some people feel that it's not. Some people make a clear distinction between playing in church and playing outside of it. As if the two should never meet. I just want to hear why that is, for no other reason than I'm just a sticky beak.

Saying one cannot play their sax "in the world" is like saying one cannot read anything but Christian literature, or sing a love song that was not Christian based to their wife, or play basketball on anything but a church based basketball league. More seriously, what they mean by "in the world" really has to do with playing secular gigs in places that historically are recognized as of "ill repute", like bars, taverns and night clubs. Places that are considered historically by the church to be the "den of Satan" because of the drinking, dancing and soliciting. I come from a very conservative fundamentalist background, and we heard arguments all the time against being in a place of temptation, exposing oneself to music and atmospheres that would plant desires that would be hard to control, etc. I remember several discussions we had in Bible college regarding whether it was OK to go in a bar with a friend if we were not drinking alcohol or looking to pick up women. Another issue that comes up is the question regarding if one frequents those establishments, are they saying they are appropriate places for a Christian to hang out, and will it be sending a damaging message to a young person who maybe is not as strong in being able to resist temptation. You could take it one step futher then, and reason that if you play your sax at one of these places, are you not then employed by them and therefore promoting the business, the activities that take place inside and making a statement that it is all perfectly legitimate behavior for a Christian to be a part of.

Distinguished SOTW Member ismail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bradshawm View Post
    ... places that historically are recognized as of "ill repute", like bars, taverns and night clubs. Places that are considered historically by the church to be the "den of Satan" because of the drinking, dancing and soliciting. ... being in a place of temptation, exposing oneself to music and atmospheres that would plant desires that would be hard to control, etc.
    Aaaah, sounds like heaven!
    my music

Quote Originally Posted by bradshawm View Post
    Saying one cannot play their sax "in the world" is like saying one cannot read anything but Christian literature, or sing a love song that was not Christian based to their wife, or play basketball on anything but a church based basketball league. More seriously, what they mean by "in the world" really has to do with playing secular gigs in places that historically are recognized as of "ill repute", like bars, taverns and night clubs. Places that are considered historically by the church to be the "den of Satan" because of the drinking, dancing and soliciting. I come from a very conservative fundamentalist background, and we heard arguments all the time against being in a place of temptation, exposing oneself to music and atmospheres that would plant desires that would be hard to control, etc. I remember several discussions we had in Bible college regarding whether it was OK to go in a bar with a friend if we were not drinking alcohol or looking to pick up women. Another issue that comes up is the question regarding if one frequents those establishments, are they saying they are appropriate places for a Christian to hang out, and will it be sending a damaging message to a young person who maybe is not as strong in being able to resist temptation. You could take it one step futher then, and reason that if you play your sax at one of these places, are you not then employed by them and therefore promoting the business, the activities that take place inside and making a statement that it is all perfectly legitimate behavior for a Christian to be a part of.
    Thanks. This is exactly the sort of thinking - as you describe it here, that I almost marvel at. It - the thinking, not you necessarily, sounds like something Ned Flanders would be to the left of. Bad behaviour can occur anywhere, and most often, the worst happens in people's houses. Anyway, it'd make a fascinating sociological study I think.

If you fella's are writing about my post.....I think you added a lot of idea's that weren't stated in my comments. For the record, I never stated playing outside of church was wrong, and a sin. I did say, ask the pastor which was preffered to play for peoples entertainment, or play for God's. There is a difference. One isnt wrong, it just doesnt really do much for the one who gave the talents. Read what ever you want out of my comments, but if your reading playing outside of church is wrong, and a sin, then your simply coming up with something you want to argue, and not what I stated or implied.

If you can make some money playing a sax, then for sure do it, as long as you don't compromise what you believe. If your making money playing in clubs that maybe arent the ideal place for a christian to hang out, or that might lead you down a bad path.....thats up to you. I wouldnt, but decide for yourself. If you can make a living playing the sax, and being a good representitive for God, not comprimising what you personally believe is right and wrong to make a buck, then fantastic!

As for the comments about worse things happening in friends houses.....my personal advice is to get some new friends to hang out with. The friends I choose to be around are good for me and my family. While bad things may happen in someones home, or even a church for that matter(nobodys perfect). I'd never purposely put myself in a situation, that makes no since to me.

These are my opinions. Just wanted to clear that up. I have zero hard feelings to anyone here, I just wanted to make it clear I don't feel playing a sax for money or any other reason is wrong, as long as it doesnt compromise your walk with God.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678