Sax on the Web Forum banner

Limitations of my YTS275

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Robysax 
#1 ·
Well, firstly, I know that much of my limitation is coming from me and practice will surely ameliorate some of my pain. But, I've been listening to some folks play on somewhat more expensive pieces and they sound beautiful and I sound like crap. We don't have any stores around these parts that stock good horns. Maybe when I get to the city I'll be able to have a try. Anyway, just how much difference does it make? I've been told (and read) that the 275 is just not a really good horn. Maybe I should consider upgrading?

#2 ·
Theres nothing wrong with a 275,how long have you been playing?...to develope a good tone/sound can take a long time.
I would,nt think about changing too soon, what piece are you using ? with the horn.
I play on alto with a yas62, ok thats a pro horn nicely made,clear sounding/bright and i like it, i have played on 275s and 23s[thats also a yamaha].and although the finish is not quite the same, the sound i find good and i certainly could gig" out with these horns.
Theres nothing wrong with getting the best you can afford,but it may be technique..etc that needs addressing..?.

#3 ·
Been playing for nearly two years. Also playing alto & clarinet. Had some lessons on the alto and now concentrating on the clarinet (just because its harder I think). Anyway, pretty happy with what I get out of the alto (yas23). With the tenor it seems to take me about 30-40 mins before I feel that it is working for me. Maybe something to do with the cold here. I'm using a phil tone refaced (0.090) tone edge 5 which I'm pretty happy with. Maybe just a matter of working on it. But it would be good to pick up some other horns for comparison.

#8 ·
Been playing for nearly two years. Also playing alto & clarinet. Had some lessons on the alto and now concentrating on the clarinet (just because its harder I think). Anyway, pretty happy with what I get out of the alto (yas23).
This may either be the reason or at least a component of your problem. If you're playing alto and concentrating on clarinet, I'll just about bet that your embouchure is too tight for the tenor. Maybe even the angle that the tenor mpc is entering your mouth is too big. If so, try dropping your neck strap a little and taking more mpc in your mouth. Keep your oral cavity and neck open. See what that does.

BTW, two years isn't very long. Nevertheless, last year I had a little 6th grade girl as a first year student who was playing a YTS 23 and a stock Yamaha 4C mpc and her tone had a very nice, deep resonance. Also, I used a YTS 23 as a back-up at times professionally and never really had a problem, tone-wise. I don't think the sax is the problem.

#4 ·
you may find , you are more of a natural alto player" than tenor, i use to get told this but i always wanted to play the tenor and loved the sound.
The thing is with a horn like the 275, its an easy horn to blow, and for beginners/intermediates suits fine, however the richer sounds associated with the likes of selmers,kielwerths,and pro level horns, this includes the vintage ones too,ie king,martin,conn are well established.
I you get on with the 23[alto], i dont see a reason why the 275 would be different, possibly a change of mouthpiece might enlighten your sound you are after?...although you say the philtone is good, try and play the longer tones and develope the tone you want to hear more in your mind, it may be the switch from alto, is taking a while to adjust too, as i said it can be a different feel.
Listen to recordings and play along, this may help also..

#5 ·
....... I've been listening to some folks play on somewhat more expensive pieces and they sound beautiful and I sound like crap........
......Anyway, pretty happy with what I get out of the alto (yas23).......
....... With the tenor it seems to take me about 30-40 mins before I feel that it is working for me.......I'm using a phil tone refaced (0.090) tone edge 5 which I'm pretty happy with........
I am confused how you can be happy with your current tenor sax mouthpiece, when you are unhappy with your tenor sax sound. (I'm not saying there is anything wrong with a phil tone, but it might not be right for you).

If you are thinking of improving your tenor sound via changes to your gear, I would first have a tech look at your YTS275 to make sure all the pads are sealing correctly and that it is well adjusted. If you are still unhappy with your tenor sound after that, then I would consider the possibility of changing to a different mouthpiece - you can make bigger changes to your sound for less money via a mouthpiece change than by getting a new horn.

#6 ·
harmonizerNJ;1202743........ .... If you are thinking of improving your tenor sound via changes to your gear said:
Completely agreed with harmonizerNJ!

I played on a YTS275 for more than 2 years and IMHO, the sax did everything I wanted the sax to do (and more) technically... Sound wise, as decent as it is (with its default 4C mp), a "good/better" combination of mp/reed make a big difference (pls take the "good/better" term objectively...). I had "very good sound" (comment from listeners) with my Link STM 7*/VanV16 2.5 and WolfeTayne 6*/RJS 3S setups. I think the YTS275 sounded better with "darker/warmer" setup of mp & reeds...

#7 ·
Good points. I say I like the Phil Tone mostly in relation to what I had been playing. Initially 4C then 5C. Don't mind the 5C but it seems to lack 'colour' for me. Tried a 7* JJ HR - didn't work for me at all. So when I got the PT I was struck by how (relatively) easy it was to play and gave me a much nicer sound than before. However, and I suppose it might help if I say just what I like, I'm a big fan of Mathew Stone (aka crazydaisydoo) and I just love that rich, full tone he gets out of his Selmer ref (and his former Yani for that matter). I'd just like to get a bit of that for at least a little of the time. Practice and emulation I guess.

I bought the 275 new about 8 mths ago. I haven't had it to the tech as it all seems good. I was struggling with a yts23 before that. A long term question of whether the inconsistency I was getting out of it was me or the horn. In the end, after playing the 275, I was convinced (still am) that it was the horn.

But maybe I should try another mp / reed setup (currently using Vandoren trad 2). As you say, a lot cheaper than buying a new horn.

#9 ·
Thanks Gary, I definitely agree about the embouchure. I do think that my embouchure tends to be quite tight when I get onto the tenor. Probably why I feel like the alto works for me and the tenor doesn't. Maybe just trying to do too much. I came to sax because I always liked the tenor sound - and probably like it more in most instances. Just sort of frustrating wanting to get that sound but it seems out of reach.

#10 ·
I have few tenors, and the YTS23 (same as 275) is as good as the others.
MO is like the others, try a diferent set up and practice more with the embochure and tone.

Before spending the big bucks.
Take it to a repaiman it might have a leak or in need of adjustment.
And.
Make a trip to a music store with your horn and mouthpiece and "test drive" other horns and compare them with yours.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.