Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Shout Out To All the Gospel/Christian Sax Players!

Hello everyone! Its been a while since I've been on here and I am looking forward to being back. May all of you be blessed as you continue to blow for Jesus!

Anointed Saxman

Default Re: Shout Out To All the Gospel/Christian Sax Players!

How is the saxophone used in your worship service?

self deleted.
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

Forum Contributor 2014 kwgrinnell's Avatar

I play tenor and bass guitar in our worship group. After many yrs of playing clubs etc... I find it very fulfilling musically and spiritually. On sax I do background fills, lead lines and improvise a chorus or two.

Kevin
    42 yrs of sax and going strong

Distinguished SOTW Member CONN-hunter's Avatar

I do play my Zephyr alto in our church band. Drums, bass,guitar and keyboard with 3 female vocalists.

I do play free with improvisation, not through sheets. I take them just for orientation and go ahead on my own.

My Buescher Aristocrate 1 is being overhauled and a Rascher Mouthpiece is on the way.
    I expect to get a more mellow "heavenly" sound with this set-up.
    We will see.

God created the music.

New Jersey Transplant stuck in California.

Hello Fellow Brothers in Christ. Please keep me in your prayers. For the Glory of God, I will be putting some recordings together of myself playing praise music. I will post them on you tube for anyone who wants to listen when they are completed. If there are any other Christian musicians in or around L.A. County, please shoot me a PM. I love to visit other nearby Churches.

Quote Originally Posted by Anointed Saxman View Post
    Hello everyone! Its been a while since I've been on here and I am looking forward to being back. May all of you be blessed as you continue to blow for Jesus!

Anointed Saxman
    Amen Brother
    Merry Christmas!

Distinguished SOTW Member jazzcat58's Avatar

i play in a christian band also,and we play in various churches around the area, i live bridgwater/somerset.
    Its a band that plays for charity, so its a lot of fun, but not a serious venture [musically]..ive been in the band now about 9 years,my favourite music is gospel, and that goes for all the genres of music.
    I make my income from music ,, so the music with the christian band serves as a nice alternative.

kind regards!
    god bless.
    bryan
    bs gunning

Forum Contributor 2009 saxguy007's Avatar

Peace.

I was in a smooth jazz group with a Christian angle, and we performed jazzified arrangements of several hymns. If you have time, check out the clips on my myspace page-

http://www.myspace.com/jamesbjork
    Covering the bari part- because no-one else owns one...
    Cannonball "Lady Godiva" Vintage, Selmer Ref 36 and Barone MAC 8 tenors; Cannonball Stone Series and Mk VII altos; Cannonball Stone series soprano and bari

YouTube clip MySpace

Hi guys. I've been lurking on the boards for some time now and I just wanted to throw in my greetings to all my Christian sax playing brothers and sisters.

I've been playing alto for my church worship band and everyone enjoys it so much though I don't consider myself as good as I can be. God has definitely been using me to glorify Him. Anyways I've been wanting to try something a little different so I picked up a cheap Prelude Tenor Saxophone and I've been messing around on that. I use a 2.5 vandoren reed on alto. Those of you that double or have some knowledge in this area, does one usually go with a harder reed when one moves to a bigger horn? The 2.5 reeds seemed kinda soft to me on tenor. Also I'm more prone to chirp/squeak. Now is this because of my embouchure being used to alto? Any tips would be appreciated.

Amen Brother
    Merry Christmas!

Forum Contributor 2009 saxguy007's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rookie View Post
    Hi guys. I've been lurking on the boards for some time now and I just wanted to throw in my greetings to all my Christian sax playing brothers and sisters.

I've been playing alto for my church worship band and everyone enjoys it so much though I don't consider myself as good as I can be. God has definitely been using me to glorify Him. Anyways I've been wanting to try something a little different so I picked up a cheap Prelude Tenor Saxophone and I've been messing around on that. I use a 2.5 vandoren reed on alto. Those of you that double or have some knowledge in this area, does one usually go with a harder reed when one moves to a bigger horn? The 2.5 reeds seemed kinda soft to me on tenor. Also I'm more prone to chirp/squeak. Now is this because of my embouchure being used to alto? Any tips would be appreciated.
    Hello and welcome. Short answer- the hardness of reed that will work well is more a function of how open the tip of the mouthpiece is, not which member of the sax family. Relative reed strength value assigned by reed makers seems to track or be calibrated across members of the sax family. For example, I use the same strength you do (a smidge softer than medium) pretty much on all four members of the main sax family, since I tend to play more open-tipped jazz and rock mouthpieces. However, other players may have other experiences.

Are you using the throw-in mouthpiece that came with your bargain tenor? That could be problematic. Mouthpieces seem like such simple things, but their dimensions are CRITICAL to your sound.

Were you to post this inquiry in one of the Beginners forums, or the Bb tenor forum or the reed forum (sans the religion context), I'm sure you'd get a flurry of helpful responses! Few come here, it seems.
    Covering the bari part- because no-one else owns one...
    Cannonball "Lady Godiva" Vintage, Selmer Ref 36 and Barone MAC 8 tenors; Cannonball Stone Series and Mk VII altos; Cannonball Stone series soprano and bari

YouTube clip MySpace

I just started jamming with our lead guitar player (my husband) and our keyboard player in hopes of providing some instrumental worship music after our service, while people are felllowshiping and praying for one another...our plan is to play familiar songs for mood music, for lack of a better term. I am really excited; I've only been playing tenor for about two years but have a background in piano, vocals, flute and a little percussion. The Lord gave me the desire to learn saxophone and I think He gave me the ability to progress well in these two years.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2011

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcat58 View Post
    i play in a christian band also,and we play in various churches around the area, i live bridgwater/somerset.
    Its a band that plays for charity, so its a lot of fun, but not a serious venture [musically]..ive been in the band now about 9 years,my favourite music is gospel, and that goes for all the genres of music.
    I make my income from music ,, so the music with the christian band serves as a nice alternative.

kind regards!
    god bless.
    bryan
    Hi Bryan - I'm down near Axminster now. Should you need extra SAT saxes, guitar or bass (if you're not too serious musically!) at any stage give me a shout

Jon
    It's an ill wind that blows nobody down a long lane which has no silver lining.

Here is a new saxophone artist: Leighton Kennedy. Check out this link on youtube.

My Heart - the Single

My Heart (Live)

Hope you like it.

Forum Contributor 2011 Steve Stockham's Avatar

Resurrecting the thread, hello everybody! I play Bb and C Tenor Sax in our "church orchestra" (in conjuction with the "band" composed of the electronic strings, keyboard and trap set.) I really get a wonderful feeling helping lead the worship service and I get a double pleasure out of using my C Tenor to do it!

Just aquired a vintage 52 "The Martin Tenor" !! Wow I love it! Check out my first recorded song with it. The Lighthouse (Ronnie Hinson). I belong to the Southern Gospel group "Chronicle" www.chroniclegospelgroup.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqnFaphDFZM

God bless you brother! I see you're from Massachusetts. I'm from Lawrence Massachusetts. I run a ministry and i am in desperate need of a saxophone player who is willing to come play at any of the preachings i have to do. The preachings will most likely be in New England and i may only be called to preach 3-4 times a year. Maybe even more but nothing constant. So as you can see it's not a BIG commitment. I have a pianist, drummer and even a guitarist but the saxophone is my favorite and it get's in touch with my spirit like no other instrument. If this is something you are willing to do, please let me know as i'm awaiting other peoples answers. Thank you so much and God bless!

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

I am from Singapore. just so blessed to be able to play both in and outside church
    current gear is Yani A992 alto + Selmer SAII Soprano
    Music - His gift, my duty, our fellowship 3Jn2
    Yanagisawa A992 Alto, Yamaha YAS-62 Alto & YTS-62 Tenor, Selmer Paris Series II Soprano Sax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast