Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 MyMartinTenor's Avatar

Default Martin Home Model

I just got one of these. Although the seller claimed it had new pads and was in playing condition, it was not. Obviously an amatuer repad job, and a bad one at that.

But okay, I can still blow it and hear the sound. I've got to say, I'm quite impressed! I expected it to sound "little", but its got a lot of core to the sound. Plays down to low C with better intonation than my '24 Handcraft c-mel. It has a little bit of a brassy "punch" to the sound, which is kind of amusing. But, overall, its a more modern sounding horn than my Handcraft, which is remarkable.

I wonder if Martin enlarged the bore for the Home Model, as compared to the earlier c-mels? Anyone know?

I can't wait to get it repadded and see what it really sounds like. But overall, I was quite pleasantly surprised by what I could hear, even though the leaks. A fun little toy..... obviously not a performance instrument, but amusing.

Default Re: Martin Home Model

god, I didnt know those things were even half playable! glad to here you lucked out again!!!
    "Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny"-F.Z.

"Halfway playable" is certainly about it. You have no idea how many times I bent my right hand for a Bb, only to hit air. I'm not used to Bb with

x
    o
    o

x
    o
    o

That's been a while since I used that. But, fun fun

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2011

man, that's a rare horn. how did you come by it?
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 2, bunch of other instruments
    Wall Of Blues, youtube video, P-Town All-Stars, get Rich, Cannons (my band in the 60's) and Cannons record

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician

I have been tempted and probably should have one in the collection. Also there are Buescher Acads around at times. I think a Home soprano would be neat!

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

well the Bueschers are not exactly rare but they are rather unusual and mostly in good state because they got little playing through the years , a couple of years ago there was someone on ebay frantically trying to sell a set of 4 from soprano to baritone.......it took a long time and several re-listings. Several brands had a go at a simplified horn for kids but they were never a success.

Forum Contributor 2012

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

the Buescher set that I've seen were the gold epoxy lacquer version and the 4 of them didn't fetch a figure higher than 1500$ (but it was probably less), as I recall they were in almost pristine state

Smile Re: Martin Home Model

My bare brass, no engraving of any kind Home model has the best 'sound' to my ears of any horn I have. I love it's tone,..it's the sound that I hear when I think about playing sax. Resonates like crazy and with curved neck it feels like a baby tenor. At only 3.75 lbs - it sounds much bigger than it should. I can do without the left hand palm and low B notes - but boy do i miss those RH palms.

Neck SN is 18xxx so I belive this is a case of dropped first digit- 118xxx makes sense.

And it was a cheap repad...

Good info on Home Model at the bottom of this Cybersax page:
    http://www.cybersax.com/QA/Q&A_Troub...st_Issues.html

MM
    Last edited by markm; 07-20-2009 at 12:00 PM. Reason: added URL

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMusicMan View Post
    man, that's a rare horn. how did you come by it?
    A guy tried to sell it on ebay, but the buyer returned it because he thought it was a normal c-mel (??!). I'd stayed in touch with the seller after the auction, and we worked out a price. I'd been watching for one for a while, very cool

yeah nice one, theyre interesting horns, having such limited keywork and very little extra mass on the body tube it would be interesting to see how different they sound and feel

Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Melody csax's Avatar
    Dorset, UK - via Cornwall and the civilised World...

The only key I really miss on the 'Home' is a side Bb.

There have been other 'minimalist' attempts, over the years, like the Yani/Leblanc alto -

Click here for the blog topic

And Trevor James have been promoting a similar student alto, called the Alpha Sax - here it is in glorious pink, lovely...

Well, at least it has a side Bb... Even tho' it seems a little lower on this picture, but the website says that "Bb bis and side Bb keys are retained"

Think I'll stick with the patinated Martin Home
    "
    csax.net website ------ csax on twitter ------ csax on facebook
    Martin, Kohlert & King C tenors / Martin Bb tenor /SG Orpheo alto / Aquilasax C sop & Mirage curvie Bb sop - Lawton, Berg, Couf, Jody Jazz, Meyer mpcs. RR/LaVoz reeds.

Forum Contributor 2014

Default $450 for a Home model!

I'm surprised that auction went so high. Mine was an impatient $175 Ebay BIN plus a total overhaul was $170. About 2/3 the cost of an alto overhaul.- This one did have an MP and a case so that counts. I picked up a very basic Buescher Cmel case without the partition around the bell. The shorter bell on a Home model flares out sooner so one might have to alter a standard case. Mine did not fit my Conn case because of that.
    I do love the sound of my home model -and only 3 3/4 lbs.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Here's the Buescher Academy set that was written about above. $1250 for the set now.
    Derrick
    '23 Martin Handcraft C Soprano, '59 Martin Indiana Alto, Aquilasax C Melody, '48 Martin The Martin tenor - I guess I'm pretty much a Martin fan!

I'm looking for a second Martin Home 'model' if anyone has one to sell. Does not need to be in playing condition. SOTW Marketplace Post is here:

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthr...Model-C-melody

Thanks!

Mark M

It sounds like you got a very heavy case of the Martin bug. I have about 18 Martins right now but no Home model. Keep watching ebay as they come along, mostly C Melodies. I have a nice playing Buescher Academy alto if you want to have another bare bones horn.

Bruce, Yes I do. Sticking with Martins only has limited the GAS madness. I'm down to 2 Altos (Comm II and Centennial), one curvie sop stencil and the Home Model which suits my C-mel needs perfectly. Fun to toy around with. I am looking for a second one for a friend.

Yes, I'm watching Ebay, but if any SOTWers have a home model they're not using...shoot me a PM or respond here.

MarkM

Find a C soprano as the Martins are the best.

Hello. I actually just happened upon one of these Martin Home Model C Melodies that go from C-C#. It is in awesome condition, has all the original parts, pads, neck, and case. I am trying to find out more about it and what it's worth. Does anyone have any feedback?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast