P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Runyon for Jazz?

Default Runyon for Jazz?

I was just wondering if a runyon jazz would be better than a jaguar for jazz. Also, what is the best opening # for jazz?

Forum Contributor 2009
    New York City (The Center of the Universe)

I have not had the pleasure to use a Jaguar, however, I really like the SR on my Alto. I think the best opening should be the one that's best for you.
    Paul
    - Try this useful scale sheet

One of the sax player in my band recently made the switch from Custom Jazz to Jaguar on his alto. As a matter of fact, as a result of this, the entire saxophone section has opted for the Jag (...now I gotta get me one of these for my bari 8) ) Before the alto players used to play on Custom Jazz and SR, us tenors on Custom and SR. Nothing wrong with these mpcs, just that they all prefered the sound of the Jag. I'm the only one who still plays with the Custom frequently, as I like to have more edge.

I don't play alto very often, but I got one which I'm going to play on the streets sometimes (whenever I feel too lazy to carry my tenor or bari out there ) - I used to play that alto with a Custom jazz #7 but now it's strictly the Jaguar. The mpc has excellent projection and IMO doen't have resistance unlike the the Custom Jazz I find. Quick runs are easyer to do too, since I'm clubsy when it comes to playing an alto this really is a + for me.

And the sound of the Jag is just so adictive. I haven't yet met anyone who has tried this mpc without loving it after the first try.
    Kim
    SOTW Administrator

Hi Kim, can you describe the Jaguar sound any more?
    I play an SR on tenor too.

-Daniel

Forum Contributor 2009
    New York City (The Center of the Universe)

Default kIM, THANKS FOR NOTHING

you are giving me G.A.S.
    Paul
    - Try this useful scale sheet

Kim, what number jag do you use? Do you play in the jazz band or regular band?

It's kinda difficult to describe a sound, but I'll try doing comparisons with the SR.

The SR has a dark and round sound, kinda Stan Getz-like. In comparison, the Jaguar is I wouldn't say that much brighter, but I think "sweet" is more descriptive and with more bottom in the lower range. There is something to the sound of the Jaguar, hard to describe, something, harmonic complexities which gives the mpc like a signature sound... I know, this isn't very clear, you have to try one out and you'll see what I mean. The Metal Quantum used to be a personal favorite of mine in terms of metal mpc, but the Jaguar is something else. Santy really outdid himself on that one.

Now to the other questions. My set-ups are:
    On tenor sax, I play size #8 on both Custom (+spoiler) and Jaguar.
    On alto, size #7 on both Custom Jazz (+spoiler) and Jaguar
    These are pretty much standard sizes
    On bari I'm currently playing a standard Yamaha 4C to get used to it (bari is very new to me) and planning to later move-on to a Custom #8 that was re-faced by Paul C and if all goes well, will eventually get a Jaguar of the same size.

I play in a Brass Band, we do a variety of styles ranging from blues, Swing and Latin. Go check the band-out if you'd like: http://equinox.musimage.com
    I also still play on the streets occasionally. I play more blues and some ballads.... you know, crowd-peasing-stuff. Projection is really important to me then since I'm competing against sirens and traffic noise. Sometimes when playing in parks or large open areas, your sound is different and you need a little boost.
    Kim
    SOTW Administrator

I'll tell you what I like about my Jag. I tried it side by side with a Jody Jazz ESP. The ESP played great, maybe even a little easier than the Jag, but the ESP tone was smooth where the Jag was throaty. It's like the ESP was saying "eee" or maybe "aah" while the Jag was saying "oh". Others may well disagree, but that's what it did with my ears.

I think Kim is right about the harmonic complexity - the "deep V" gives it a more complex set of overtones. They're not all high overtones, like you get from a high baffle 'piece, so the sound isn't thin. It's a very robust and hearty sound, and I love it.

I also bought an SR at the same time, because it's just a cool sound unlike any other MP I've tried.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Guru MojoBari's Avatar

That's a decent way of describing the tone Ex. I have a Delrin Quantum, metal Quantum and a Jag for my bari. All #11. I'd call the the Delrin Q tone more like "eee", the metal Q "ehh", and the Jag, "ahh". I'm using the metal Q.

What is the chamber size and baffel like on the Jag, compaired to, say a custom, or Lawton B or ??

Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Guru MojoBari's Avatar

A Jag is a Smoothbore with a narrow bullet relief in the baffle. Actually it is a cylindrical groove about the width of a pencil. The cylinder is at an angle so it makes a bullet shape.

It like what the Dukoff X is to the Dukoff D, ( the X is a D with a slot machined into the center of the baffle) but it makes a more significant difference.