Sax on the Web Forum banner

MJ and Beatles songs rights

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Graftonsax 
#1 ·
I think this is the proper place to post this.

I remember reading an article a few months ago that said MJ had made provisions in his will for the portion of the publishing rights to the Lennon-McCartney songbook he owned to go to Paul when he died.

I thought that was a pretty useless gesture since there was, at the time, every reason to believe Paul would be gone long before Michael.

That was then, this is now.

What I'm wondering is how that would work legally.

MJ bought the publishing rights to the L-McC songbook along with several thousand other songs when Associated Television Corp went under in 1984. 10 years later Sony and MJ went into business to form Sony/ATV records. I don't know what the details of that deal were, but I would imagine MJ retained ~50% of the publishing rights. If that's so, does that mean Paul would now own 50% of the publishing rights to the songs he and John wrote? Or would Sony/ATV have some kind of claim to that percentage?

I'm hoping some of our English friends might know more about this than I do, or maybe even that the BBC is reporting something about the whole mess.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.