P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lacquer Over Plating - Good or Bad Idea?

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Default Re: Lacquer Over Plating - Good or Bad Idea?

I think the operative answer is whether you like the sound that comes out of the horn. Any plating or coating is temporary. I have a gold plated '98 Cannonball alto. At the first sign of flaking I got another alto so that my gold plated horn would keep it's luster. I cleaned it off and put it back in it's case for a while before I came to the realization that no matter how long it lasted it sounded much better being played than sitting in it's case; plus it sounds better to me than 95% of any other altos I've played (the reason I bought it in the first place.) So far, flaking gold plate hasn't changed the tone, and it's no longer a closet queen.

Jcaino had a thread going on unfinished horns vs. lacquered and plated horns. It's super informative; let's just say lacquer over plating may work well if you don't touch or play the horn, otherwise - go for the tone. Apologies to ya' Dr. G.
    "Zoot" would a good name for a kid...

Gotta say,... excellent point(s) jrvinson! Kinda wished I had read that thread before I pulled the trigger. No matter for me though, my folks won't let me get an un-lacquered horn.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

My point is, if you like what you got play it. We all get old, wrinkled, fatter and BETTER! At least we don't flake off our plating... Unless hair counts! Enjoy you horn, whatever it is!!
    "Zoot" would a good name for a kid...

LOL! Nicely put sir.

Distinguished SOTW Technician. Oric Muso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ericpd View Post
    Sounds nice Oric. I can only hope my Barone Vintage sounds as good. It gets just about the same set of words when describing it as you used on your TJ,... a little on the dark side with spread, but with good core. Some even saying Barone's Vintage tenor sounds like a Conn with a healthy dose of center, and his Classic tenor like a VI with a tad more fatness. Words like those always seem to confuse me a little and I end up letting the verbal smoke clear and then falling back on my ears. Sure wouldn't mind seeing a pic of your flaking on the TJ and where it tends to strike first. I've seen the little rubber cups you slide over the left thumb rest,... in my experience that's generally where it all starts.
    Thansk for the favourable comments - (sorry about the dodgy playing). ]
    The horn has some areas around the bell that has come away. It wasn't the palm key risers. I didn't have them until recently. (I needed to use up some Sugru so put some on.) There's some bits around the side Bb and C. This was where I first noticed it. It had a small dent in the middle which I pushed out. The lacquer came off there which wasn't a great surprise but then I noticed a spot higher up between the side keys. I had some drips marks which I wiped off and noticed little bits glinting in the cloth. I'll try and take some pics but it isn't always very eay getting the difference to show up.

Distinguished SOTW Technician. Oric Muso's Avatar

Here's a couple of pics. It's hard to get it to show up. The photos worked best on the bell.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12