P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: King Curtis lovers

Default Re: King Curtis lovers

Quote Originally Posted by Rondalo View Post
    I have an Aretha Franklin LP with King Curtis backing her up. (That's the reason I bought the album!) I'll try to locate that again.
    Yes, please!

Aretha's Live at The Fillmore was recorded at the same show(s) as King's Live at the Fillmore with the same band backing up Aretha. Tower of Power was also on the bill that weekend.
    I'm a saxman yes I'm a saxman

Loved seeing all those messages about King Curtis. If any of you folks would like a copy of my 150 page sessionography by email (its a Word doc) just drop me an email to casasquirrels@aol.com. Contains as much detail as Ive been able to uncover over the past 40 years! Cheers Roy

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2011

Quote Originally Posted by roy simonds View Post
    Loved seeing all those messages about King Curtis. If any of you folks would like a copy of my 150 page sessionography by email (its a Word doc) just drop me an email to casasquirrels@aol.com. Contains as much detail as Ive been able to uncover over the past 40 years! Cheers Roy
    If I'm not mistaken, Roy Simonds used to publish a 'zine called Boss (in the 70's?), which was essentially a King Curtis discography-in-progress. I even had a very bad poem/tribute to King Curtis published in it. Anyway, it's wonderful to see Mr. Simonds here on SOTW. Welcome, Roy. And I'll be emailing you about the sessionography.
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 2, bunch of other instruments
    Wall Of Blues, youtube video, P-Town All-Stars, get Rich, Cannons (my band in the 60's) and Cannons record

Forum Contributor 2011

Roy Simonds' King Curtis sessionography is an amazing work, clearly a labor of love. It includes session personnel on all manner of recordings, many of them unissued. I don't know if there's anything else like it for any other musician.
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 2, bunch of other instruments
    Wall Of Blues, youtube video, P-Town All-Stars, get Rich, Cannons (my band in the 60's) and Cannons record

Quote Originally Posted by kingperkoff View Post
    Aretha's Live at The Fillmore was recorded at the same show(s) as King's Live at the Fillmore with the same band backing up Aretha.
    But you can't hear a lot of King Curtis in that recording, can you?

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit View Post
    I recently discovered some old blues CDs that highlight none other than the great King Curtis. In the order of my favorite:

2. "Honeydripper" --Roosevelt Sykes
    King Curtis still has a lot of prominent solos and licks.
    Which CD is it exactly? I just bought this one but there is no King Curtis playing. (No sax at all.)

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010 DaddyRabbit's Avatar

My copy is a different cover. It says "Prestige 1014 Bluesville" on the cover. It was recorded September 14, 1960 in Englewood Cliffs, NJ. Digitally remastered in 1993. It lists King Curtis and he clearly plays in virtually every song. I believe it's available on Amazon, but I haven't checked in awhile.
    "Everything that is really great and inspiring
    is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit View Post
    My copy is a different cover. It says "Prestige 1014 Bluesville" on the cover. It was recorded September 14, 1960 in Englewood Cliffs, NJ. Digitally remastered in 1993. It lists King Curtis and he clearly plays in virtually every song. I believe it's available on Amazon, but I haven't checked in awhile.
    Thank you! Now I've got the right one:

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010 DaddyRabbit's Avatar

I can never get enough of the King!
    "Everything that is really great and inspiring
    is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
    -Albert Einstein

SOTW Interviews/Editor
    Forum Contributor 2014

Did a search and this great track has been referred to before but apparently the video hasn't been posted:King Curtis and Duane Allman, "Foot Pattin".

SOTW's Blues, R&B, Rock n' Roll Teaching Resource
    http://www.saxontheweb.net/Rock_n_Roll/

Anxiety, Emotions and Performing Well
    http://www.saxontheweb.net/Resources...-NSharpe1.html

SOTW Supports The New Orleans Musicians' Relief Fund
    "These 16 great MP3s celebrate the rich, vibrant, musical heritage of The City Lights - New Orleans."
    http://www.nomrf.org/saxontheweb.html

Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Sharpe View Post
    Did a search and this great track has been referred to before but apparently the video hasn't been posted:King Curtis and Duane Allman, "Foot Pattin".

S-s-s-s-s-s-mokin!

They don't call him "King" for nothing. -- Thanks for posting.
    Be cool, be kind, and be well.

Sweet. And Duane Allman. D@mn!

Thanks Martin. You were right on the money.

Here's a cut from a Freddie King tune called "Stumble" off Freddie's album, "My Feeling for the Blues." Curtis blows a remarkable solo.

Sorry, unable to display

Forum Contributor 2011

take the letters that come immediately after the = sign in the youtube url. In this case it's DsQw-cfE5J4. Then put youtube in brackets like so: [utube]. Put the letters after the brackets, then close it with youtube in brackets with a slash in front of the youtube: [/utube]. I spelled it as utube instead of youtube to keep it from embedding the text as if it's a video. Click on reply with quote for this post and you'll see in the reply how this looks when you set it up.

Sorry, unable to display

BTW, outstanding King Curtis solo on that re-done version of Freddie King's Stumble. I'm a huge fan of both those guys.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123