P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Vandoren Klassik Change

Forum Contributor 2014
    Distinguished SOTW Memberb

Default Vandoren Klassik Change

I just received a new Klassik clarinet ligature and I quickly noticed that Vandoren has changed the size of the wood peg that comes with the ligature. The purpose of the peg is to maintain the shape of the string ligature when its not being used on your mouthpiece. In positioning the lig on the peg, this helps me to adjust the ligature's slipknots before putting the lig on my mouthpiece. This method of using the Klassik has worked great for me since I started using the lig several years ago. The size of the wood peg that came with my older Klassik is perfect for having the Klassik just the right size for my Grabner clarinet mouthpiece. However, the new Klassik lig has a larger size peg...shorter and fatter. I'd really like to know why Vandoren changed the size of the peg.

I'm going to write to Vandoren to express a disappointment over this change. I've already sent a note to Sharon at Weiner Music (where I ordered the lig) to see if she has any information about the change.

Grrr.....

Roger
    1936 G.H. Huller alto saxophone, Ralph Morgan 6C mouthpiece, #3 1/2 Legere Signature reeds, Theo Wanne ligature
    1969 Couesnon Monopole Bb clarinet, Walter Grabner K14 mouthpiece, #3 Legere (old) Quebec, Klassik string ligature
    Yamaha bass clarinet, Walter Grabner LB mouthpiece, #3 1/2 Legere standard tenor, Optimum ligature
    Yamaha flute, diMedici alto flute

Visit my website and listen to my originals: http://www.rogeraldridge.com

Forum Contributor 2014
    Distinguished SOTW Memberb

Default Re: Vandoren Klassik Change

Mystery Solved!

Turns out that Vandoren didn't make any changes. Rather, I had not realized that they make French and German versions of the Klassik clarinet lig. The German version has a sticker with a D on one end of the wood peg and this model is LC35. The French version has a sticker with Bb (in French) on the wood peg and this model is LC 31. The wood peg for the German version is smaller than the French. I also learned that the original version of the German Klassik had the D stamped into the wood peg rather than a sticker.

After I learned all of this I looked at my older Klassik and sure enough it has a D stamped on the wood peg. If memory serves, I think that I got that Klassik from 1stopclarinet. Without knowing it, I got the German version.

It appears to me that there is little or no difference in the actual Klassik string ligature between the French & German clarinet versions and even the alto sax version. Rather, it appears to my eye that the main difference is in the size of the wood peg used to shape the string lig. Of course, the alto version has a larger cap than the clarinet versions.

Thanks to Jim Metz (Vandoren US distributor) for helping with this information. Now I understand!

Roger
    1936 G.H. Huller alto saxophone, Ralph Morgan 6C mouthpiece, #3 1/2 Legere Signature reeds, Theo Wanne ligature
    1969 Couesnon Monopole Bb clarinet, Walter Grabner K14 mouthpiece, #3 Legere (old) Quebec, Klassik string ligature
    Yamaha bass clarinet, Walter Grabner LB mouthpiece, #3 1/2 Legere standard tenor, Optimum ligature
    Yamaha flute, diMedici alto flute

Visit my website and listen to my originals: http://www.rogeraldridge.com