Antigua Winds
AW Reeds

Default Magic Musician Fingers

Is anyone here familiar with The Orósz Technique located at MagicMusicianFingers.com?

I do a lot of embouchure exercises away from the horn but don't get the hand practice a want/need away from the horn and was wondering if anyone knew if this was a good source or not.

I am not on this forum often so, any response that is also forwarded to pneumasax@aim.com would be greatly appreciated.

PEACE..........

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007 Peterogping's Avatar

Default Re: Magic Musician Fingers

Hi,

I am subscribing to this system and can confirm that it helps.
    I brought some of the exercises on my vacation where I could not bring the horn and carried them out regularly.

When I came home and played again I could feel a clear improvement in my speed and in how precise I used my fingers.

I think that the "20 minutes" per day as she claims is vastly understated if it is the intention to go through a full lesson once per day.

To sum up: I will recommend this system but don't think it is an easy short-cut. You will have to put in serious work every day.
    Soprano: Martin Handcraft, ARB HR 5* mpc, Charles Bay lig.
    Alto: King Marigaux, MC Gregory Master 5A 18M mpc., Charles Bay ligature / Pierret Super Artiste, Otto Link "Master Link" #3 mpc, Charles Bay soprano lig.
    Tenor: King Zephyr Military 265xxx, Dukoff Fluted Chamber 5* HR, Charles Bay ligature / Brilhart Streamline Tonalin (Great Neck) #4, Charles Bay lig.

Home: Nashua, NH - currently working in Pleasanton, CA USA

Hey Peterogping,
    I'm curious if the training helped you to improve use of the pinkies on spatulla keys? This is one area that I struggle with...
    Yamaha YAS-62ii, Drake Ceramic Double Ring Jazz, Rovner Star Series Lig
    Yamaha WX5, Native Instruments Kore Player with Sax & Brass
    Pleasanton Community Concert Band http://www.pleasantonband.org/index.html

Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008 martysax's Avatar
    Boston (pronounced: Bahsten), Massachusetts

My wife used to help me with finger and tongue strengthening exercises.

Now she helps me with volume.
    Just two questions: Where's the Bar located relative to the stage, and does the band get a discount?

Songs I recorded with The Cyclones

Check out my new informative site!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkN View Post
    Hey Peterogping,
    I'm curious if the training helped you to improve use of the pinkies on spatulla keys? This is one area that I struggle with...
    I don't feel I have a problem with these. My problem is more concerned with speed and accuracy. From my limited experience, however, (I have been lazy lately with these exercises) I am convinced that the exercises will improve any aspect of command of fingers.
    Alto: King Marigaux, MC Gregory Master 5A 18M mpc., Charles Bay ligature / Pierret Super Artiste, Otto Link "Master Link" #3 mpc, Charles Bay soprano lig.
    Tenor: King Zephyr Military 265xxx, Dukoff Fluted Chamber 5* HR, Charles Bay ligature / Brilhart Streamline Tonalin (Great Neck) #4, Charles Bay lig.

Can you explain a few of the excercises? I'd like to know what they do.

Arrow Re: Magic Musician Fingers

Quote Originally Posted by martysax View Post
    My wife used to help me with finger and tongue strengthening exercises.
    Marty, I'm not sure your wife sticking her fingers in her ears and waggling them at you while sticking her tongue out, is necessarily considered "exercise!"

Quote Originally Posted by sopranosaxman View Post
    Can you explain a few of the excercises? I'd like to know what they do.
    There should be a free download of the first lesson here:
    http://magicmusicianfingers.com/PurelyFingers.html
    Doesn't work for me, maybe because I already bought the course.
    But in general terms, the lessons concern different patterns of finger movements which become increasingly difficult as you progress.
    To give an idea: Fingers are numbered 1 to 5 (Thumb to pinky) Exercises can be tapping the fingers on a table like: 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 1-5 repeat 10 times with left hand. Repeat with right hand. Next: 5-4, 5-3, 5-2, 5-1. Perform as above. Then do the first exercise with both hands in "unison". Ditto with the second. Finally cross-over the two exercises left-right and then right-left.

That's just the beginning. As you progress, the patterns become more and more complicated.
    Last edited by Peterogping; 07-06-2009 at 11:08 PM. Reason: misspelling

Any more views on this?

I'm investing. It makes sense to me when I did the free sample. I'll be interested in the counting of beats aspects as well.

Forum Contributor 2011 F4UCorsair's Avatar

Does anybody have anything to add to these posts?

Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008 martysax's Avatar
    Boston (pronounced: Bahsten), Massachusetts

Just two questions: Where's the Bar located relative to the stage, and does the band get a discount?

Songs I recorded with The Cyclones

Check out my new informative site!

SOTW Columnist
    Distinguished SOTW Member

Quote Originally Posted by martysax View Post
    ROTFLOL! Somehow I knew that was coming.

I have no idea what these particular exercises are or how effective they are, but speaking of 'beats,' I have something I do sometimes when working on a new tune mentally. I'll 'count' with my fingers, using the thumb for beat 1, index finger for beat 2, the finger pictured above for beat 3, and the ring finger for beat 4. Then mentally sing the tune, placing the notes rhythmically while keeping track of each beat with my those fingers. I don't know if that made any sense to you guys at all, but it does work!