P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: SOTW new member introductions, June-Sept. 2009

Default Re: SOTW new member introductions, June 2009-

Hi,

I am Ed, 25, based in Singapore. An "absolute" beginner in Sax which is why I registered here in hoping to learn from everyone else. Been reading quite a bit and vaguely understand where I have to begin. Planning to get myself an Alto Sax in the next few days, perhaps a used Yamaha YAS-52. Saw a few listings on Ebay with prices ranging from US$ 100 - US$ 500. Might post for advices if I've found any likeable Alto Sax as I am totally new.

Thanks,

Ed

Wink Re: SOTW new member introductions, June 2009-

Hi.... I'm Jim Bays. I have been playing Saxophone since I was 8 yaers old. I am now 43. I live in the Cincinnati area, and play regularly in the area. I studied a Northern Kentucky University, and some at the U.C. Conservetory of Music in the early 80's. I love Saxophones, and everything that goes with them. I think Saxophonists for the most part are all a little "NUTS"!! We over analize things to death. I am trying latley to just Practice my rear off, and concentrate on my playing. I have read threads here for years, but recently joined. I wish I had joined long ago. I have already met some really nice people. Thanks Jim Bays...........

Hi!
    I'm new!
    Oh, who am I kidding?! I'm like, older than most people's grandparents' tractor.

Hello all.

I own a King S6 Soprano and a Keilwerth ST90 alto, however I want either a bari or tenor to double with my alto.

Hi everyone, i'm nathan. I've read a few of the threads on this site in the past and found them very helpful, so I decided to join up and ask a few of my own questions. Hopefully i'll be able to help other people too!

Ive been playing alto for 7 years but didn't get serious about it until early last year. I'm seriously considering going to college for jazz studies.

I play a Yani A9933, Meyer 5, and V16 2 1/2s. Also Rico Royal 2 1/2s.

Greetings,

My name is Wayne, and I am from Toronto. I am currently in my second year of studies at University of Toronto for Engineering. Before that, I attended the Claude Watson School for the Arts for the saxophone. I have been playing for eight years, and am a big fan of jazz music. I look forward to participating in this forum in the future!

Hello all,
    I'm a highschool saxophonist who loves jazz. I will be pursuing musical studies in the near future. I have always found SOTW very helpful so I decided to join.
    My setup is : 1925 Conn Chu Berry Alto m147xxx, Berg Larsen 95/2/M, Francois Louis Ultimate Ligature and Rico Jazz Select 3H reeds.

Hello

I'm Wubbe from Belgium. I am playing Saxophone for two years now, started with Alt, recently I started playing Tenor. The inspiration to play saxophone I got thanks to the band Morphine.

Sincerely
    Wubbe

Hi there. My name is Cara and I'm from Cape Town, South Africa. This is my 11th year of playing the sax (I started on tenor then switched to alto). So I play tenor, alto and also soprano. I also started clarinet two years ago. I am currently studying music and also teaching sax and clarinet at a high school. So I thought that this would be a great place for me to meet some people and learn a whole lot more.
    " We used to get on planes, and they'd ask who we were, and we'd say, 'The Dave Brubeck Quartet', and they'd say, 'Who?' In later years they'd say, 'Oh', which amounts to the same thing. " - Paul Desmond

Hey! Rusto here. I've been kicked out of every other forum so I thought I'd try my luck here. How DO you play the saxophone? Kidding! Been playing for 30+ years. Pretty much any situation you could name. Army band, wedding bands, polka bands, blues, R&R, R&B/funk, jazz combos, big bands, solo gigs. What am I forgetting? Not bragging, but I play a mean tambourine, too. I've made many a rendition of Folsom Prison Blues. I also teach private lessons. Signed up because I need to thin my herd. Too many horns and mp's. I used to say, "NEVER SELL A HORN OR MP!" But I've got too many that I'll never play so time to spread the wealth. Or something like that. Plus I'd like to get feedback from other teachers. Got a boy that just ain't gettin' how to play the blues. (That'll be another post.) See y'all around!

Welcome on board all newcomers. I hope you'll like it here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusto View Post
    Hey! Rusto here. I've been kicked out of every other forum so I thought I'd try my luck here. How DO you play the saxophone? Kidding! Been playing for 30+ years.
    I checked our your Youtube video and I liked what I heard.
    Let me point out the forum rules here are somewhat tighter than on other forums you've been kicked out.
    Looking forward for a long-time relationship,
    -Harri

Hi I'm Michael,

I've been playing alto sax, Susie, for about 7 years got my tennor sex, Tallulah about 3 years ago. Been neglecting my saxes for a while due to exams and other commitments. My new years resolution for 2009 was to play Susie and Tallulah regularly again and I've kept it up so far :-)

Looking round the site it looks like I've got a lot to learn but that's what I'm here for!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Quote Originally Posted by ShovinSunshine View Post
    Hi!
    I'm new!
    Oh, who am I kidding?! I'm like, older than most people's grandparents' tractor.
    Shhhh... there are several of us hiding here.
    "Zoot" would a good name for a kid...

Hello! My name is Chris, and I've been playing Sax for 25 years. I found this forum today while searching for information on the new Sax I bought today.

I'm the father of 3 wonderful (evil) boys, and have been married for 9 years. My Saxs are a Conservarte Etude Alto (its OLD) and a Yamaha YTS-23 (the new purchase). My wife wanted to kill me when I brought my Tenor home today, and then she realized I was wearing the shirt she bought me. It says, "It's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission!"

Chris

Sorry for the double post my computer freeked out

Hi everyone.

I'm Aaron, 20 y-o, based in Malaysia. Been playing the piano and violin, now looking to pick up a third instrument. I knew I wanted to learn the sax the moment I heard Kenny G when I was little, but my parents wouldn't support me (financially) through this.

So I worked and saved for two years and finally got myself a Yanagisawa alto sax. I am here to learn from others and meet new people.

Forum Contributor 2014
    The official SOTW Little Sister
    Nashville, Tennessee (no longer in a band room storage closet)

Quote Originally Posted by ShovinSunshine View Post
    Hi!
    I'm new!
    Ha, I like that.
    Welcome to the forum, we need another comical relief.
    It's only cool until Kenny G does it.

Hello there fellow musicians. My name is Kyle and I'm a 27 year old from upstate NY. I've played the guitar for the last 14 years and while it's been fun, it's taken me that long to realize that it's not the right instrument for me. An artist is constantly looking for the best way to express his/herself and I've finally come to accept that the music I hear in my head is not that of a guitar. It isn't a polyrhythmic instrument at all, but instead sounds like a linear flow of chaos... much like be-bop saxophone.

So, I bought myself a tenor sax. Nothing fancy, an eBay steal to dip my toes in before I commit. I played the alto for 6 months when I was in the fifth grade, but I don't remember any of it, so that didn't help much. Well, I've had my sax for the past 4 days and I can honestly say that I comprehend this instrument and the layout and flow of note placement much better than I did with the guitar after 14 years of playing. The guitar was always this endless sea of frets and strings and felt confusing to a right brainer like myself.... but the sax... the sax is like typing. You don't look, you just find your home keys and go. I can feel myself becoming expressively freer as the hours of practice pass and it is truly satisfying.

So, I'm here because I've decided that I'm committing myself to this instrument. For better or worse, I will become proficient no matter how much work it takes. I have lots to learn and am ready to absorb. I've already found several useful tips and tidbits of info on the forums and look forward to learning from all of you.

Cheers,
    - Kyle

Hi, I'm Courtney. I'm 16-years-old and I'm a junior in high school. I live in Florida. I have been playing flute for almost 6 years, alto saxophone for a year, piano for a little less than the flute, and guitar since December. This is my first year playing alto in marching band, but I played it in the jazz band for a year prior. I have been playing flute in the marching band for 2 years, this is my 3rd. Music is pretty much my life, and I love it sssoooo much!! I am also OBSESSED with conducting haha. I am desperately wanting to be the drum major and go on to University of Florida (home of the gators W00T W00T!!) and work my magic there. I came here because I have been having problems with my hand and I think it might be associated with the sax but i'm not too positive. I also discovered the site when I was first learning how to play, but I waited until now to sign up. Well, as you can see, I have problems shutting my mouth haha so i'm just going to do it now lol. Nice to meet all of you.

Stumbled onto this forum and have enjoyed wandering around a bit. 56 years old - have been playing for about 45 years and still don't play very well! Enjoy playing big band, some dixieland (never learned to double on clarinet - mistake) and 50s style rock n roll. Now mostly play in the local municipal band. I own a bunch of old saxes none newer than mid 60s (no "name horns) (dad played too). Straight and curved sopranos (neither in Bflat or Eflat) a couple of c melodies, four altos, two tenors and a bari. Had to sell my bass 30 years ago - darn! Mostly Buescher and Conns. Main horn is a Conn Tenor my dad bought used in 1935. Enjoy most all players - from old to new (even appreciate some of what's his name - that g guy's technical skills - the circuitous breathing is cool.)

Not sure where to pose this question - I am having a hard time maintaining consistent tone and control - I've been using Brilhart Levelairs mouthpieces for years - tried switching to a Rovner ligature - in fact I got to the forum while I followed a google on Bois ligatures. I haven't been sold on the Rovner yet - the ligature on the Brilhart doesn't seem to tighten like it did 25/30 years ago. I have tried the old hard rubber mouthpiece that has been with the horn since high school (35 years ago) but that seems so "constricting." I don't know if it is my reeds, my mouthpiece, my ligature, my horrible practice habits, or what. The horn has been gone over recently and got a clean bill of health.

Thanks for the forum and if anybody has any great ideas - feel free to share! I do apologize for being such a crappy player for having played so long. You guys (and ladies) embarrass me with your full steam ahead attitude and picking up the horn in your mid life. I am humbled.

Thanks!

CNolte

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast