P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 70's, 80's 90's songs with sax in that you love

TK Melody Endorser/
    Forum Contributor 2013

Default Re: 70's, 80's 90's songs with sax in that you love

This thread is excellent!!! I am putting together a classic rock/soul band for 2010 as if I don't already have enough to do?!?!

I would also add the following tunes in to the mix:

Michael Stanley Band w/Clarence Clemmons-"HE CAN'T LOVE YOU"

Joe Cocker w/ Clemons-"UNCHAIN MY HEART"

Al Jarreau-"WE'RE IN THIS LOVE TOGETHER"

Hall and Oates-"MANEATER"

B
    “We are what we repeatedly do.
    Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.”
    ~Aristotle

T'Pau - China in Your Hand - Soprano (?)

Distinguished SOTW Columnist king koeller's Avatar

"Small World, Part One" was a minor hit for Huey Lewis, peaking at 25 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1988 and coming at the end of a nice run of hits for one of the more well-liked pop acts of the Reagan era. It has a typically big, bodacious '80s pop feel, with a catchy keyboard riff, pulsing rock beat and big-haired rock guitar to match. Stan Getz is featured on part Two of the bisected song, "Part Two" is a straight continuation of "Part One," fading in where "Part One" faded out, right in the middle of guitarist Chris Hayes's solo. When he's done, everyone stops on a dime, signaling the great tenorman's entrance. As Getz gains traction so does the supporting cast, which includes the Tower of Power horns supplying some Chicago-styled horn riffs. He gets to blow away for nearly the entire four minutes of this extended coda turned into a jam. At age 61, Getz showed a surprising amount of vitality and, even more surprisingly, easily adapted his cool West Coast style to Lewis's mainstream pop tune. He was the real deal, he could have mailed it in, but he wanted to show up and blow!" This is my favorite song with sax from the 80's....
    "King" Koeller
    When you can't control the wind, adjust your sails!
    Alto:Selmer Mark VI #110***, Morgan Vintage 7M .080",Soprano Conn Curved, Morgan Jazz 7M
    Tenor:Selmer SBA #50***, Morgan Jazz 9M .110"
    Vandoren Java 3.5 for both horns...

Doors, Touch Me (may be 60's)
    Stones, Can't You Hear Me Knockin'
    King Crimson, 21st Century Schizoid Man (may be 60's)

I'm dating myself.

(Sorry I just now posted this in a really old thread; and I see this one is more current--just ignore the other one, please...)

From childhood this solo has always stuck in my mind as the epitome of the "urban sax sound"--you know, like you picture being in well, yeah, the soundtrack of a gritty 1970s film about the mean streets of NYC (fast forward to 2:15 for the solo):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix_8FFt-oVY

But very memorable and soulful for being so short--but then again, most famous pop sax solos are. And for some reason I had the misconception that it was a tenor solo and just listening to it today it finally occurred to me it was played on the alto.

I wonder who played it?

I wont repeat the ones already mentioned cause they are on my list too but how about....

At This Moment - Billy Vera
    When In Rome - Billy Joel (played by Lenny Picket)
    Just the Way You Are - Billy Joel
    Pretty much all the Billy Joel stuff with sax in it.
    Only the Lonely - Motels
    Love the Bari in Walk on the Wild Side - Lou Reed
    Reasons - Earth Wind and Fire

I could keep going and going but I think I'll stop now and let others continue the list.
    Tenor: Selmer Mark VI (194xxx)
    Alto: P. Mauriat PMXA 67R
    Soprano: Kessler Custom Deluxe (black nickel)

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Quote Originally Posted by king koeller View Post
    "Small World, Part One" was a minor hit for Huey Lewis, peaking at 25 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1988 and coming at the end of a nice run of hits for one of the more well-liked pop acts of the Reagan era. It has a typically big, bodacious '80s pop feel, with a catchy keyboard riff, pulsing rock beat and big-haired rock guitar to match. Stan Getz is featured on part Two of the bisected song, "Part Two" is a straight continuation of "Part One," fading in where "Part One" faded out, right in the middle of guitarist Chris Hayes's solo. When he's done, everyone stops on a dime, signaling the great tenorman's entrance. As Getz gains traction so does the supporting cast, which includes the Tower of Power horns supplying some Chicago-styled horn riffs. He gets to blow away for nearly the entire four minutes of this extended coda turned into a jam. At age 61, Getz showed a surprising amount of vitality and, even more surprisingly, easily adapted his cool West Coast style to Lewis's mainstream pop tune. He was the real deal, he could have mailed it in, but he wanted to show up and blow!" This is my favorite song with sax from the 80's....
    "King" Koeller
    Abso-freakin'-lutely!!!!! +1000! I first heard this tune shortly after Stan's death and my initial reaction was... holy cow, this guy sounds just like Getz!... what a dumb-*****... NOBODY sounds just like Stan Getz!
    "Zoot" would a good name for a kid...

More horns than I'm worthy of . . . Mick Stuppguy's Avatar

Okay, since we're resurrecting the thread, how about the sax duet riffs on Van Morrison's "Into the Mystic." It doesn't come any sweeter than that.
    - Mick -
    Mind frequently on vacation, mouth usually working overtime.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 Finnerski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Swingtone View Post
    I wonder who played it?
    I think it was Zach Zachary.

http://www.answers.com/topic/mfsb
    Finnerski

I love all of the same tunes already mentioned, "Year of the Cat", "Baker Street", all the stuff with sax on it by The Stones, SuperTramp, and Clarence Clemmons esp. "Rosalita" and "BTR". Alto Reed was revered here in Michigan. Motown rules - how about Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On?"Everything by Steely Dan blew me away. Everything Branford ever did with Sting made me want to pick up the soprano. Van Morrison's stuff is beautiful - "Into the Mystic", "And It Stoned Me", and I love it when he plays sax on his records. The tenor that's all over Dark Side of the Moon is excellent too.

In an attempt to resurrect this thread yet again, how about a few that might be a little more obscure: "The Working Hour" by Tears For Fears. It's awesome, one of my favorite songs of all time, but I've never been able to find out who the alto player was. Anyone know? Also, the soprano solo on "Memories Fade" also by TFF. Anyone remember the original version of "The Seduction" by the James Last Band? I think that alto instrumental was in the movie "American Gigolo" but I was too young to see it at the time! I have a Sanborn album where he covers that song, but it sounds very different, did he play on the original too? Chris Vadalla (sp?) played tenor on a tune with Chuck Mangione that got a lot of airplay and was used in the Olympics called "Give It All You Got". "Just the Two of Us" by Grover Washington, Jr. How about "Urgent" by Foreigner! The live version of "Knock Yourself Out" by Tower of Power. Lenny Pickett plays for like 8 minutes straight, circular breathes, wails on altissimo, multiphonics, etc., etc. - it "hurt my feelings" when I bought that album. The solos on "Whatever Gets You Through The Night" by Elton John with John Lennon is killer. "Cure For Pain" by Morphine. There is at least one Baritone and probably a Bass sax playing with that 2-string bass player, as well as a short Tenor solo. Tasty, just like the sax section riffs and the Tenor solo on "Lady Madonna" by the Beatles. What was the name of that instrumental that was a big hit on the radio in the late 70's by the Yellow Jackets? It was an Alto feature and I can still hum the melody but can't remember the name...

And yeah, I was in cover bands as a teenager where we played Hall and Oates' "Maneater" (my buddy, our trombone player, would pick up my Alto and he could fake his way through the echoes in the solo with me on Tenor). We played "Harden My Heart" by Pat Benatar, "Careless Whisper" by Wham, "The One You Love" by Glenn Frey, "Only the Lonely" by the Motels, and "Who Can It Be Now?" by Men at Work (Greg Hamm?). Those were all typical early 80's tunes where maybe the playing was produced and not as monumental as the great work of Brecker and Sanborn, et al, but the sax licks were the hooks that made those songs really identifiable. Anybody else cover "Flashlight" by P-Funk? I miss Leroi Moore of the Dave Matthews Band. I still love to listen to his solo in "Rapunzel" and his overdubbed sax section with staggered entrances in "Stay".

I guess it's kind of disappointing to realize that having one or more saxophones in pop/rock music was almost as common as having a guitar at one time. It's a shame that there aren't the same number of opportunities in popular music today, and the saxophone doesn't enjoy the role it once did in that genre.

Marty
    1921 Buescher True Tone C Soprano, 1925 Buescher True Tone Bass, 1927 Buescher True Tone C Tenor, 1928 Conn F Mezzo-Soprano, 1978 Selmer Mk VII Alto, 1978 Yamaha YTS 61 Tenor, 1998 Yamaha YBS 52 Baritone, 1998 Yamaha YSS 475 Soprano, 2004 Schill (China) Curved Soprano, 2006 Gulf (Taiwan) Sopranino

Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxophonist Extraordinaire chayjazz's Avatar

Candy-Cameo-Michael Brecker on sax
    Don't Let Me Be Lonely-James Taylor-Michael Brecker on sax
    Just The Way You Are-Billy Joel-Phil Woods on sax (classic)
    Reasons-Earth Wind and Fire-Don Myrick on alto (another classic)
    One More Night-Phil Collins-Don Myrick on alto
    Ohh, Baby, Baby-Linda Ronstadt-David Sanborn on alto

Distinguished SOTW Member piwikiwi's Avatar

My cd collection has a huge gap from 65-98 or something

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Stuppguy View Post
    I can't believe nobody's mentioned Pete Christlieb's gorgeous solo on Steely Dan's "Deacon Blues."

In my opinion it's the benchmark for pop-rock sax.
    yeah Christlieb ! a couple of years later I got Nighthawks at the diner , the Tom Waits album ( his voice wasn't all messed up there yet, great live recording) and recognized the sound Pete Christlieb once more.

and how about DR WU ? alto solo there is either by Phil Woods or Richie Cole I'd say. (i'm guessing here, someone who knows , feel free to jump in)

And this track on the Paul Simon album
    still crazy after all this years had a great alto solo in the last part of the song, I remember putting on the headphones and turning up the volume just to hear the last notes in the fade out.
    what was tthat song again ?

Turn The Page - Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band.

Rockin' At Midnight - The Honeydrippers
    P.Mauriat PMXT 66R DK Tenor, Yamaha YAS 52 Alto, E.M. Winston 375 GL Curved Soprano, Buescher 400 Bari. "Music is your own experience, your own thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn." Charlie Parker

"Reasons (Live)" YES, what killer tune! I love it after the 2 minute solo: "Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Don Myrick on the alto horn. He plays so beautiful, don't you agree?" Crowd goes wild!! Followed by a cool call and response thing to the end. Absolutely a classic!

Roxy Music: "Love is the Drug" and other tunes, Andy Mackay did some nice stuff. Is it too cliche' to say Maceo Parker on James Brown's "I Got You (I Feel Good)"?

We mentioned Branford on Sting's album Nothing Like the Sun, especially "Englishman in New York" but I can never hear his solo on the cover of Jimi Hendrix's "Little Wing" too many times!

Slightly off topic because it's not pop/rock with sax featured, but if you haven't heard it, listen to the Miami Saxophone Quartet play a live arrangement of "Paul Simon's "Still Crazy After All These Years". It's fantastic!
    1921 Buescher True Tone C Soprano, 1925 Buescher True Tone Bass, 1927 Buescher True Tone C Tenor, 1928 Conn F Mezzo-Soprano, 1978 Selmer Mk VII Alto, 1978 Yamaha YTS 61 Tenor, 1998 Yamaha YBS 52 Baritone, 1998 Yamaha YSS 475 Soprano, 2004 Schill (China) Curved Soprano, 2006 Gulf (Taiwan) Sopranino

Yet another resurrection of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by mhegerjr View Post

In an attempt to resurrect this thread yet again, how about a few that might be a little more obscure: "The Working Hour" by Tears For Fears. It's awesome, one of my favorite songs of all time, but I've never been able to find out who the alto player was. Anyone know?
    Will Gregory might be the answer:
    http://memoriesfade.com/band/4related.html

To add to the list:
    Do it to me - Lionel Richie - 1992 - alto
    Through the Barricades - Spandau Ballet - 1986 - tenor

Hi all,
    I am a vinyl collector and a new member here.
    I m trying some years now to id this song playing at the back of a 1983 movie.
    Please try to ignore actors voices and id artist and title,would be so important to me!!!

link to the movie is here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO8NPvlUHB4

wanted song plays at 38.48.

thanks!!!

Berlin (I wish) I really live in San jose California

Shine On You Crazy Diamond, part V - Pink Floyd - 1975 - Alto/Bari

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 Budget Explosion's Avatar

the first sax solo I tried to transcribe (in 8th grade) was:

John Lennon "It's So Hard" with King Curtis on alto sax (if I remember correctly.)
    http://combatjazz.bandcamp.com/

Selmer Mark VI Tenor Sax, Morgan mouthpiece

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123