Antigua Winds

Default Tenor Saxophone Dark Sounding Mouthpieces

Can you give me some dark sounding Tenor Mouthpieces or some mouthpieces good for a reference 54.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian paulwl's Avatar

Darkness is relative...What do you use now on your 54? What kind of music are you using it for? Most important, how much darker do you want to get?

I use a Vandoren V16 T75, a would like to get a more dark sound, I use it for jazz, and classical.

For classical I use a Rousseau 5R : darker and broader than a C*
    For jazz I use the same blank only it has been reworked by JVW to give me more projection - best jazz mpc I've ever played.

For a dark sound on my Series III I use a Morgan L. Doesn't get much darker than that.

What about a Metal Link STM + Hemeke reed? This combination will sound very dark. However, may difficult for the player who have less experience to playing altissimo note. You may try Metal Link + La Voz/SJ/Java.

If you want dark you should try a JJ ESP without the spoiler. Very dark but still not too spread.

A Morgan 7L works really well on my Ref54 for that dark mainstream jazz. It still has fairly good projection too. It might be a little to edgy if you play it full time for classical.

The two darkest I have are; a copy of a '50s Otto Link (which tends to be a bit fluffy in a Ben Webster kind of way) and a Yanagisawa HR 5. I use a Vandoren T25 quite alot and it is hardly bright, it could be the more open facing you use is giving more edge than you want.

tomsch

Have you compare a Metal Link and ESP ? Which is more dark, full & rich?

Also, important is which piece are more easy to handle? Both piece has big difference in pricing. As many player know a Metal Link is not too easy to control especially for the new comer in tenor.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian paulwl's Avatar

Nobody's recommended the Caravan. It's expressly designed for darkness, not just a neutral, "unbright" tone. If a Morgan L or Rousseau R is too projecting, the Caravan could be your piece.

I occasionally use a Morgan C - the personality & feel of the L, with the edge "EQ'd" out. Very warm, but somewhat spread tone, with nice dynamics.

If you prefer a Selmer-approved option, or have to deal with Selmer purists, try a Larry Teal ("LT"; round chambered).

The best feature of the JJ ESP is how easy it is to play and control. Compared to the Links I've played it's darker but with a bit more center to the sound. Not quite as spread.

I have tried several mouthpieces for my Ref54 and here are the best dark sounding (for me) :
    - Ebonite : Berg Larsen Gold Ebonite (105/2)
    - Metal : Jody Jazz ESP (.100)

I am not a very experienced player but to have an idea, you can listen to some of my home recordings on my WWW site. All are made with the Berg Larsen, except one with the ESP.

Try some morgans, otto links, and meyers. All hard rubber.
    Selmer MK VI Tenor 198XXX
    Otto Link 7* HR and/or Metal with Rico #3 reeds
    http://www.youtube.com/user/CamTheCat

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

RPC....Ron Coelho makes the best playing and sounding mpcs I've ever used. I have a .110 tenor piece that is totally versatile, as dark and thick as you want but can be brightened up by reed choice and lig placement.Either way it has a great musical tone and blows beautifully. I used to have boxes of tenor pieces-I now have two- the RPC(they're all HR) and a Link STM 7* for when you just need to play Link. And my heartfelt thanks to all the folks out there that bought my Florida Links(about 25 of them) for crazy prices.

marc

I just visit to your homepage, which song you use ESP ?

Tears,
    On "All Blues" only.

Quote Originally Posted by paulwl
    If a Morgan L or Rousseau R is too projecting, the Caravan could be your piece.

I occasionally use a Morgan C - the personality & feel of the L, with the edge "EQ'd" out. Very warm, but somewhat spread tone, with nice dynamics.
    Ditto the Morgan recommendation. I, too, have gone through many a mouthpiece (Barone, Lawton, Link, Selmer Soloist, etc.) and have only two mouthpieces selected for my Ref 36 - a Morgan "L" .110" and a Morgan "C" .095" (both refaced by Jon Van Wie).

I use the "C" for my classical quartet and small acoustic combo work.
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.