P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Todd Oxford

Default Todd Oxford

Has anybody ever tried a Todd Oxford signature series alto sax? How do they compare to modern student and professional horns?

Also does Todd play on his own creation or another professional horn?

Thanks

Distinguished SOTW Member NissanVintageSax's Avatar

Default Re: Todd Oxford

Another Taiwan make. I don't know what his customer service is like, and he can't be doing that great at marketing, cause has anyone heard of these?

For a similar price, you can get a Barone, Kessler, Antigua Winds, or TK Melody, as well any number of used and vintage big 4 (both vintage and modern) brand horns. The design the Todd Oxford looks like a Yani Clone or an Antigua Winds (which looks like a Yani mated with a Selmer!). Not saying it's a bad horn, just don't know anything about it.
    '60s Vito (France) Mo 38 A.Sax; '22 Harwood Professional C(Buescher Stencil); '26 King Bari; '70s H. Couf Superba II Tenor Sax;'20s Beaufort American Curvy Sop (Conn stencil) w/white Roos blueminorjazzcombo@groups.facebook.com

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

In Sax Journal he was playing on a set of Mark V1's including soprano ( the one they don't like on here). He stated he couldn't get the sound he liked from anything else.

In regards to his Sax journal interview, he had not developed his line of horns when that interview was done.
    They are Chinese made, not Taiwanese. He actually does play and record on his signature line horn. And yes I know this for a fact. Todd is a great player, and his six is a great horn so if he is willing to put that down for his own signature line, then it might be special. I have played on them in every finish, they are nice horns.

I stand corrected . I assumed Taiwan, simply by the price. Seems too high for China.
    '60s Vito (France) Mo 38 A.Sax; '22 Harwood Professional C(Buescher Stencil); '26 King Bari; '70s H. Couf Superba II Tenor Sax;'20s Beaufort American Curvy Sop (Conn stencil) w/white Roos blueminorjazzcombo@groups.facebook.com

wtoddoxford

Hello All,

I appreciate seeing the conversation about my "Signature Series" alto saxophone. I thought it appropriate to chime in with my perspective. After 25 years of playing other professional line saxophones, I was presented with an opportunity to develop a custom saxophone designed to my own specifications. This opportunity came as a result of my visibility earned through heavy international touring.

(1) I expect my saxophones to produce at a world class level. (2) The "Signature Series" is not a copy of any other brand or model. Although different from previous altos I've used in my career, the "Signature Series" posseses the characteristics I have come to expect from great playing pro line horns. (3) Keep in mind, the Saxophone Journal article that was mentioned in this forum was conducted in 2001 or 2002.

For over a year now, I have been performing and recording exclusively with the Todd Oxford "Signature Series" alto. I am most proud of the quality and richness of tone the "Signature Series" produces. The palm key sound is HUGE, the scale and intonation is even. The black wood inlay feels great under the fingers. I have students ranging from beginner middle schoolers, to high school kids, and students in my studio at Texas State University sounding great on the instrument. A soprano prototype is currently in the works.

With any new business (we launched 15 months ago), it takes time to get the word out, and we are doing just that. I have an online store and encourage you to try our saxophone. I know you will be surprised at how great the "Signature Series" plays, especially for the price. I have a 10-day trial policy with purchase, so order an instrument, test it out and keep it or return it for a full refund within the 10 day period. The price of the saxophone is $1799 + sales tax which is an amazing price for a great pro line alto. Visit us with any questions at:

www.toddoxfordsaxophones.com
    email: toddoxfordsaxophones@earthlink.net
    phone: 512 589 5629
    Last edited by wtoddoxford; 05-15-2009 at 07:44 AM. Reason: not finished

Todd,
    Welome to SOTW! Hope to see you on here relatively actively. Good to hear about the return policy.

Wood key inlays? Is the black wood real ebony? If it is, I can now understand why the price is where it's at (ebony is expensive).

Now, to get some "guinea pigs" buying it so we can get some SOTW reviews

Todd,
    Welome to SOTW! Hope to see you on here relatively actively. Good to hear about the return policy.

Wood key inlays? Is the black wood real ebony? If it is, I can now understand why the price is where it's at (ebony is expensive).

Now, to get some "guinea pigs" buying it so we can get some SOTW reviews

wtoddoxford

Thanks for your question. Yes the black wood inlay used on the Todd Oxford "Signature Series" alto is real ebony wood. My hands tend to perspire profusely under the hot stage lights, so I was looking for something with a bit more grip. The wood inlay feels very nice.

toddoxfordsaxophones@earthlink.net
    512 589 5629

That's cool. Also helps seperate your brand from the plethora of asian horns today. I look forward to reading some independent reviews on it .

wtoddoxford

Default Re: Todd Oxford "Signature Series" Alto Saxophone Customer Reviews

Here are reviews from current customers.

§ REVIEWS §

Todd Oxford “SIGNATURE SERIES” ALTO

I am very pleased with Todd Oxford's “Signature Series” Alto Saxophones. It is wonderful to see a professional horn at an incredible price! The tone that each saxophone generates is a dark and rich sound attainable by players at any experience level. I recently invited Dr. Oxford to present these instruments for my students in Georgetown, Texas and I am pleased to say these saxophones will now be on the District Recommended Instrument List for the 2009-2010 school - year. Placing the saxophone next to a tuner was what impressed me the most. These horns are very much "in tune" while playing through each octave of the different lacquered horns available. The attention to detail on how the saxophone contours to the human hand is very much appreciated as well. Dr. Oxford has hit a home run with these horns and I am looking forward to hearing about the success of these instruments. There are a select number of saxophone brands I recommend to my students and this one is by far, one of the finest.

~ Amanda Marino, Assistant Director - Director of Jazz - Georgetown High School – Georgetown, Texas ~

The Todd Oxford “Signature Series” Alto Saxophone is unlike most saxophones on the market today. It has an evenness of tone quality that is unmatched by other instruments in the same price point to include many of the main stream brand saxophones made today. The intonation of the instrument was wonderful and the keyboard was very comfortable. It took no time for me to adjust from my main alto saxophone to playing a Todd Oxford “Signature Series”. I would highly recommend it to professional saxophonists and students alike. The price is a true value.

~ Ramon Parker, saxophonist & assistant band director - Brazosport High School – Braszosport, Texas ~

One of my middle school students purchased a “Signature Series” alto last semester and he sounds so much better than before. We are looking forward to having Todd Oxford Saxophones on the Plugerville District Recommended Instrument List. Thank you for making these fantastic instruments available to our kids.

~Mandi McCasland, director of bands – Pflugerville Middle School – Pflugerville, Texas ~

I've played on them and they are great. His website has them listed at a more than fair price, and after trying it, it is the best saxophone for the price by far. Check out his site for more info www.toddoxfordsaxophones.com

~ Posted on the Texas Band Director Yellowboard by “Great Sax” ~

They are good saxophones. Todd wouldn't have it any other way!!!

~ Posted on the Texas Band Director Yellowboard by “Tried Them” ~

I just wanted to tell you how much of a pleasure it was to meet you and to play your saxophones. I was truly impressed with your horns.

~ Mike Reed, professional saxophonist with “The Revelators” Houston, Texas ~

I enjoyed playing on the Todd Oxford “Signature Series” Saxophones. They were nice!!

~ Patrick Trahan, professional saxophonist - Temple, Texas ~

This was a great deal for my child who is starting beginner band.

~ Liliana Mejia – parent of beginner band student at Vernon Middle School – Harlingen, Texas ~

I am excited to see my 7th grade saxophone student with a great horn !!

~ Billy McPhail–professional saxophonist with the ELISION Saxophone Quartet ~

toddoxfordsaxophones@earthlink.net
    512 589 5629
    Last edited by wtoddoxford; 05-16-2009 at 06:25 AM. Reason: not finished

Add my rave reviews to the Todd Oxford line. My son started on the standard Yamaha student horn and we upgraded him to the Todd Oxford Gold Antique horn after a couple of years.

I'm a brass player, but even I can tell the difference in the quality between the Yamaha YAS-23 and Todd's horn. It's sturdy as hell, the keys are firm yet responsive and there is absolutely no comparison when it comes to sound.

The ebony keys definitely have a different feel to them, but my son loves them.

Lee Fisher

SaxMaxPro - promoting Todd Oxford Saxophones. These are truly excellent professional saxophones. There are four contemporary finishes: Black Nickel with Gold Keys, Gold Lacquer, Gold Satin and Nickel Silver.

People who have tried them have had only positive remarks.
    Attached Images Attached Images