Sax on the Web Forum banner

Clarence Clemons

42K views 87 replies 45 participants last post by  14470 
#1 ·
Yes, I have been taking a stroll down memory lane ;-)

I was looking for a tape last night and came across one I haven't had in the player in quite a while. Clarence Clemons and the Red Bank Rockers... Have this one on vinyl.

Popped the tape in on the way to work this morning, and it got my engine going, Raw, gritty, raucuous rock and roll....Clarence adding is unique tenor to these fantastic tunes.

Made me remember seeing the band once on Alan Thicke's late night talk show, can't remember the name, but they did Rock and Roll DJ, it was getting some airplay at the time. Another on this tape was from the Michael Stanley Band, 3 or four tunes off that album were graced with the Big man's tenor. One rose well on the charts, with Kevin Raliegh singing lead.... He Can't Love You.

for a sampling http://rockin_sax.tripod.com/Clemons.html

#3 ·
dang, I would have liked to check out that show in Evansville. When I was a little kid learning the sax, CC was my first sax idol.

Anyone remember his guest appearance on the sit-com Different Strokes? Mr Drummond got him to give some pointers to Arnold when he was learning sax. CC had a great line:

(to Gary Coleman) "The sax is like a woman. Treat her right and you can make beautifull music together. Treat her wrong and she'll squeek and squawk all night long."

I think that is how it went ... it was like 20 years ago :roll:

#5 ·
and to think, he's now 63, had both hips replaced and surgery to repair a detached retina and he is still out there blowin down the house.

As for acting: He was also in some TV series where the superhero was a sax player, something with Night, or Knight in the title on the WB, or Fox or UPN, and he was in the film Swing. He was in prison and taught this other inmate to play, gave him his horn when he was released and then later he gets out of prison and plays with the guys swing band.

#7 ·
Strewth! The only one older than CC is Coleman Hawkins! BTW I vote we all sign a petition and send it to Clarence stating that Billmecca is his biggest ever fan and maybe Bill scores a free lesson out of it. Then again maybe he scores a "Dear John" letter from the Big Man's press agent. :) Still it's worth a shot. Whadda ya say Bill?

#8 ·
DP,,you make me smile...

go for it! the big man is playing the Stone Pony in July, my drummer friend and I hope to make it. and jr!, yes he is 63, Big Jay McNeely is still out there doing it and he is 10 years older....I think Joe Houston is still around too. Joey the Saint was supposed to play with him at somepoint,but I don't think it ever materialized...

see I have this plan......but have no time, and unfortunately they are all getting older.

#12 ·
Pretty good, even though I have been too busy with other stuff to really market it but that will change. I did just record one for a huge power conglomerate, hope it will lead to more work (they own something like 800 plants worldwide)

Keep Honkin!

#16 ·
Sub, I am sure that CC is using the newer model since Rovner probably sends him the latest designs. Good for business! I also like the newer gold model on alto but I still like the older stainless on tenor. ED ligs on both.

Last time I saw CC he was playing what appeared to be a silver plated tenor. Any idea what brand he is using these days?

#17 ·
John,I recently saw a tv clip him playing a Keilwerth tenor, SX90R model,silver except the bodytube which was black-nickel I think.

By the way John,I recently got a new Deep-V for tenor.It came with a black plastic insert which was glued to the end of the window,where the window meets the chamber,between the rails.Do you know what is the deal with this insert?

#18 ·
OK, I know this is sacreligious but I'm willing to take the heat in exchange for a good answer that I can use. I just don't see what's great about Clarence Clemons. It's an honest question, not a slam on him or anyone liking him.

First, none of you above are saying he's the greatest player on earth. But you obviously regard him very highly and my post is not just about that but about other comments in the past that have been very praiseworthy.

After hearing a lot about him I got an album, Clarence Clemons and the Red Bank Rockers "Rescue", 1983, CBS 32580. Now, you gotta know I don't listen to things, go to concerts, etc to criticise or to have a bad time. I really just want to enjoy myself, so I listened to this album with no agenda. Here's what -I- heard.

Good band, nothing exceptional. Songs were indistinguishable from thousand of others in the same style. Nothing innovative in either the music or the sax playing. Clemons plays loud. I don't hear any melodic ideas that rival Jr. Walker or King Curtis and I don't hear any rhythmic ideas that rival Maceo Parker.

If we are talking about sax players in that genre, I think to be considered great, they should at least be able to hold their own with the above sax players, as well as guys like Sil Austin, Red Prysock, Lee Allen and many others. I just don't hear it.

Can you folks recommend albums that are "better" than the one I've got so I can get a better appreciation of him or have I already heard it? Thanks.

#19 ·
Sub, I have never heard of or seen a baffle/insert added to the Rovner. However, it might be adding a unique quality to the piece.

He makes two styles; the 30, which is a smooth traditional interior for a traditional tone, and a 40, which has a medium baffle for edge. Someone has apparently glued the insert to get the baffle effect. Similar to the Runyon insert.

I will not say that the insert takes away from your m/p but would encourage you to try a Rovner w/o any alterations. His design is super and the finish is excellent. Actually his one and only baffle gives all of the edge that one would need.

If you would like to try an "unaltered" model 40 (baffle), #9 or #10 send me an email. I have a couple that I have purchased on Ebay as spares. I do not want to sell them but will be glad to let you try one if you have an interest. JSAXL@aol.com

By trying one you will know what the insert is or is not doing to yours.

#20 ·
gary, I believe that most players who like CC are more familar with his Top 40 solos for which he became very well known;

BORN TO RUN-BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN-CLARENCE CLEMONS-TENOR

HE CAN'T LOVE YOU-MICHAEL STANLEY BAND-CLARENCE CLEMONS -TENOR

OUT OF WORK
- GARY "U.S." BONDS-CLARENCE CLEMONS-TENOR

DANCING IN THE DARK-BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN-CLARENCE CLEMONS- TENOR

FREEWAY OF LOVE-ARETHA FRANKLIN-CLARENCE CLEMONS-TENOR

I'M GOIN DOWN-BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN-CLARENCE CLEMONS-TENOR

WHO'S ZOOMIN' WHO
-ARETHA FRANKLIN-CLARENCE CLEMONS-TENOR

YOU'RE A FRIEND OF MINE-CLARENCE CLEMONS & JACKSON BROWNE -CLARENCE CLEMONS-TENOR

(UK) UNCHAIN MY HEART-JOE COCKER-CLARENCE CLEMONS-TENOR

#21 ·
I, too am prepared to commit that most heinous of SOTW crimes....

Not hearing the spark of greatness in a player worshipped by the majority!

While I don't find his playing offensive, Clemmons has his relationship with Springstein as his only real credential as a major player. Take that away and he's Holiday Inn material! A black Alto Reed!

This is my curse!

#22 ·
John,about the plastic insert on the Deep-V: I ordered this mpc directly from Rovner,it is a goldplated Deep-V 40D #9 for tenor.The insert was there when it arrived from Rovner so they must have put it in there.It was located not on the baffle but between the rails at the end of the window.Anyway,the insert came off while I was washing the mpc and the mpc plays better without it (plays great actually).I'm just curious what this insert was about,it looked to me like it was glued in there but maybe it was there just to protect the mpc during shipping,no big deal really.This is a really great R&R mpc,a joy to play.It came with a EVO-5 ligature but I prefer ED II ligature on it,LaVoz and Plasticover reeds work great with this piece.

#23 ·
Sub, that is good to know. As you say, it may have been for shipping. You might want to email Rovner to see if it was placed there as an option for tone purposes. He is always inventing new designs and each one plays a little better than the one before so the insert may be a part of the newer m/p to give more tonal possibilities. Interesting.

I agree, the ED II really responds. You will enjoy the m/p.

#24 ·
Thanks, John, for the list of Clemons solos.

#26 ·
John,thanks for your input on the Deep-V matter.This mpc plays great (without the insert),real rock'n'roll sound and good altissimo.If I remember correctly,you use plain Ricos on yours? I've been using LaVoz and Plasticovers but would certainly switch to Ricos if they work with this piece,they are cheaper too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.