Antigua Winds
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Default Re: Clarence Clemons

As Sun Ra told a close friend of mine "there is one band that never lets it's audience down-Bruce Springsteen". I've seen Bruce and the E Stree Band in clubs of about 150 up to 50,000 seat plus baseball stadiums, (I sat in the last row of the highest tier) and they always deliver the goods.
    I really don't go to anything but clubs anymore but if I were going to see someone in a huge venue they would be my first choice.

R.I.P. Clarence Clemons.

Does anyone know which brand of sax he used?
    Yanagisawa A-901, Meyer 5 Custom, BG jazz Ligature.
    Yamaha YTS 52, Otto link super tone master 6, vandoren v16, rico jazz filled reeds 2

Distinguished SOTW Member jazzcat58's Avatar

sorry to hear about this!..his passing away,very popular player and surprisingly well known for a saxophonists, who played in a rock band,primarily..but more people i talk to mention him only behind kenny G, as sax players they have heard of, which i think says a lot in his influence with springsteens band!, as the list indicated earlier in the thread lots of great solos, i very much enjoy his style!!...gutsy emotional, intense...
    bs gunning

E-mail problem

Keilwerth SX90R last I heard.

Forum Contributor 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Mecca View Post
    ...the sound was all Clarence, he transcended the gear.
    Like any player with a unique set of skills. Correct me if I am wrong, but before that, he played King Super 20 with stints on MKVIs alomng the way.

He was amazing; he poured so much raw energy and soul into everything he played. I really looked up to him.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xfx...ingsteen_music
    doms, doms.

Forum Contributor 2013

Someone might have commented on this in the parallel RIP thread for CC but it really belongs to the living, so please forgive if this reiterates another post. I am reading "BIG MAN - Real Life & Tall Tales" by Clarence Clemons & Don Reo. It is an absolute blast. Given the modest number of pages and the big font size, the book should be a quick read. The "problem" is, however, that the book is so darn funny that it actually reads rather slowly because you take so many brakes to laugh. I can highly recommend it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345