P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Firefox can't find "Proxy Server"!

Distinguished SOTW Member NissanVintageSax's Avatar

Default Firefox can't find "Proxy Server"!

Moderators, feel free to move this where it needs to go. I wasn't sure, so I started this here.

I'm on IE8 right now typing this. I prefer Firefox but it keeps coming up with "Proxy Server unavailable". I uninstalled Firefox, then re-isntalled it. Same message.

What's causing this, and how can I fix it?
    '60s Vito (France) Mo 38 A.Sax; '22 Harwood Professional C(Buescher Stencil); '26 King Bari; '70s H. Couf Superba II Tenor Sax;'20s Beaufort American Curvy Sop (Conn stencil) w/white Roos blueminorjazzcombo@groups.facebook.com

Default Re: Firefox can't find "Proxy Server"!

In Firefox, select Tools - Options - Advanced - Settings and select 'Auto-detect proxy settings for this network'.

That should fix it.
    TK Melody Harlem Nocturne Black Plated Soprano - Alto - Tenor
    Yanagisawa A901 - T901

Thanx for the quick reply! It worked! Problem solved! Woohoo!
    '60s Vito (France) Mo 38 A.Sax; '22 Harwood Professional C(Buescher Stencil); '26 King Bari; '70s H. Couf Superba II Tenor Sax;'20s Beaufort American Curvy Sop (Conn stencil) w/white Roos blueminorjazzcombo@groups.facebook.com

That'll be $200 please....
    TK Melody Harlem Nocturne Black Plated Soprano - Alto - Tenor
    Yanagisawa A901 - T901

Just put it on my tab

No, have him charge it to your account, on account you can't pay him now.
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

Distinguished SOTW Member Jazz Is All's Avatar

Thanks to both of you, Nissan and Terjeo, you've solved the problem I was having on my laptop with Firefox.
    Music is a magic elixir. It renews the spirit and fills the soul with joy -- Jazz Is All
    "It's all about the spirit. The body will be gone in a blink, but the spirit never dies. That is jazz." -- Sonny Rollins
    ParkerColtraneMcLeanRollinsGordonGriffinHendersonErvinDolphyKirkLacyHandySheppMarianoSandersG.AdamsBergSpauldingShorter

Distinguished SOTW Member Jazz Is All's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rojertwose View Post
    Hello,
    It probably can't find the proxy server, because it was blocked.
    95% of the time proxy servers are used to look at sites they shouldn't be looking at while at work/school. Do your job and go to the blocked sites on your own time.
    Actually, you are off-base because I've been retired for a year and only use computers in my home. I never had that problem when I was at work either, and being a teacher I did my job, which was in the classroom...what I did in the teacher's room was my own business since they never paid us for more than 3 hours prep-time a week anyway. I prepped on my own time all my career, just as my wife does on weekends and it kills our weekends many times.
    Music is a magic elixir. It renews the spirit and fills the soul with joy -- Jazz Is All
    "It's all about the spirit. The body will be gone in a blink, but the spirit never dies. That is jazz." -- Sonny Rollins
    ParkerColtraneMcLeanRollinsGordonGriffinHendersonErvinDolphyKirkLacyHandySheppMarianoSandersG.AdamsBergSpauldingShorter

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum Contributor 2014 gary's Avatar

"In Firefox, select Tools - Options - Advanced - Settings and select 'Auto-detect proxy settings for this network'."

It's found in the "Network Connection" section and then you have to click on "settings".

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto
    Julius Keilwerth SX90R tenor

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Quote Originally Posted by hakukani View Post
    No, have him charge it to your account, on account you can't pay him now.
    Don't worry about this. Just check my "Pay Over Time" box and I will just make small automatic withdrawals from your checking account until the balance is paid in full. Out of site, out of mind.
    Good Luck,

Enviroguy

Official Spender of Too Much Time on SOTW/P. Mauriat Fanatic jmoen3's Avatar

newbies bringing up old posts -.-.
    Alto: P. Mauriat 67R w/ Solid Nickel Silver Neck/Drake Custom Ceramic .085/Van. Java 2.5 Reeds and Hahn Synthetic 2.5
    Tenor: CE Winds Brushed Vintage Gold Alpha Tenor/Jody Jazz ESP .120/RJS 2M Unfiled
    Soprano: CE Winds Silver Plated Alpha Saxello/Yanagisawa 7 HR/ Van Java 2.5 Reeds
    My Playing: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=954022
    -Jared

Quote Originally Posted by rojertwose View Post
    Hello,
    It probably can't find the proxy server, because it was blocked.
    95% of the time proxy servers are used to look at sites they shouldn't be looking at while at work/school. Do your job and go to the blocked sites on your own time.
    Way out of line dude! The advice given before was correct (solved my problem). And this was on my personal laptop AT HOME! Not when I had a job and was working.

Quote Originally Posted by jmoen3 View Post
    newbies bringing up old posts -.-.
    Gotta love newbs, re-hashing already solved material!

Quote Originally Posted by terjeo View Post
    In Firefox, select Tools - Options - Advanced - Settings and select 'Auto-detect proxy settings for this network'.

That should fix it.
    I had this same problem & stumbled upon this while searching for a solution. I just wanted to say... THANK YOU!