Antigua Winds
AW Reeds

Default Putting new sounds on the EWI soundbank

I just got an EWI, and I am not completely satisfied with the sounds it comes with. I really only need one or two really good sounds, and my fiend has some really high quality ones, but they are for keyboard and I don't know if they will work with wind controllers. Has anyone loaded up their own sounds onto the EWI?

I was also thinking of getting the Patchman soundbank, but really all I need is a few great sounds like a lead synth and an electric paino sounds.

Anybody know how much space the EWI has for storing sounds?

Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contributor 2010 EZ's Avatar

Default Re: Putting new sounds on the EWI soundbank

Do you have the instruction manual or software that comes with the EWI? You can modify various settings manually on the EWI or use the software on your computer for a more intuitive interface. The range of sounds is somewhat limited from it's internal synthesizer, so an external sound module or effects unit really helps to make things more interesting.

I have the software and everything, but I want to have a couple of really good sounds like a flute patch and a lead synth.

Can I put these on the ewi, or do I need an external synth for really good sounds?

Forum Contributor 2011
    Distinguished SOTW Member

Contact Matt at patchman music. He is the guy to talk to. I've used his patches for years on a Roland synth. They made a huge difference.

Your question is too subjective. What does "Really Good Sounds" mean?

+1 on calling Matt Traum at Patchman... He's an EWI expert. go to www.patchmanmusic.com and check out his EWI patches.

However, the EWI is very limited as it's basically an Analog Synth. So, getting a "Lead Synth" is possible, since, well, the EWI is a synth. But a very organic sounding flute is impossible on the EWI, since that would require more of a TONE GENERATOR than a synth.

If you want more realistic wind sounds (woodwinds, brass, etc), you'll want to look at the Yamaha VL70m tone generator. But almost XG-like tone modules will give you better winds than the EWI will ever muster.

But to answer your root question: Yes, new patches can be loaded into the EWI's own memory without the need of an external synth. But, can you load the types of sounds YOU want? That's impossible for anyone else to answer.
    Yamaha Fiend: YSS-475, YAS-62II, YTS-82Z, YFL-225SII, MOTIF-ES RACK, VL70m (Turbo), WX5...

Distinguished SOTW Researcher Frank D's Avatar

Another endorsement of Matt. He has a nice bank of sound upgrades for the 4000s for under $ 100. If I recall correctly you can also download a demo of the sounds so you'll know what you will get.

You can audition Matt's sounds here: http://www.patchmanmusic.com/AudioDemos/EWI4000SV1.mp3

Later, Ray

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

Matt is the man. Nuff said.
    Come see me live with Platinum Express

Hello,
    there's a new interesting EWI soundbank with patches that reproduce the sound of famous synthesizers:

see: http://www.suonopuro.it/ewipreen.html?i6s2