Sax on the Web Forum banner

V.Nice recent Scott Hamilton video.

7K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  ManEast 
#1 ·

Master tenor player!!

#2 ·
Just by coincidence , I went and saw , Scott Hamilton for the first time at Pizza Express in London last night, with a fantastic rhythm section .

He plays in a an easy listening "Old Style " of playing , BUT he has a fantastic tone - all his notes are "spot in the pocket" , with a well developed sub tone , and an amazing, sparsely used, vibrato, which he uses to best effect on ballads.

I really enjoyed the sets, as a refreshing change from the usual raucous altissimos, and endless roaring cadenzas, played at breakneck speed by so many of the contemporary players. They often seem to head nowhere in particular , but are exciting players , and clearly technically and theoretically masters of their instruments , but somehow seem to miss the point about communicating something to an audience ! ( or am I just getting too old , and hankering after some vestigial link to melody in soloing ?! - end of Rant!)

I wish I sounded 10 % as good . He played an old MK VI , as far as I could see (so no surprises!).and a Link metal MP - so a pretty standard setup, except that I expect the Horn was set up in NYC by a Sax guru , and maybe the MP had been "heavily modified too!". It was a seemingly effortless, joyful, enjoyable evening

#6 ·
Thanks man!

I've had an absolutely sh**ty day, but that really helped!

rory

#8 ·
Scott Hamilton is a beast! I've posted this before, and not nearly as recent as the other, but this is my favorite Hamilton clip.

Thanks for posting these.

#10 ·
Haven't listened to Scott for ages but just found these recent videos of him and it reminded me of how much I love his playing.

Also interesting to hear him play totally acoustic which is not very common. I was always told his sound wouldn't project so well acoustically and that he relied on the microphone but happily, these videos prove he sounds just as great without a mic.

#19 ·
Indeed, his subtone is killing in that above clip :).

One of my favourite Scott Hamilton recordings is this (Indiana, recorded in his early days):

or

Tried to capture that same vibe myself in an old TOTM posting in 2012 on 'Indiana' (with limited success!):
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11934333

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.