Sax on the Web Forum banner

A First Bassoon

13K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Woodwind guy 
#1 ·
OK so I`m going to play bassoon. I currently play tenor sax and clarinet and have been for about 5yrs. in little local bands. I`m a senior, senior.
What bassoon do I look for? Is there a student model? What about 2nd hand? I`ll get a teacher but I have to have an instrument to take with me.
If there are any Aussie bassoonists out there I`ld love a reply. Rusty:)

#3 ·
That's "Schreiber" if you are trying to find one on the web.

Make sure the bocal is in decent shape. If it's been bent or creased, it can make learning even more frustrating.

Enjoy. I love the bassoon.

#4 ·
My best recommendations for a first time bassoonist:

1. Fox or Renard Model 41 or Model 4 if you can find one. If you have small hands, a Model 51 (short reach) can often be found even cheaper.

2. Used Kohlerts can be very nice. Buy from a dealer, not Ebay.

3. Used Schreibers are good too. Stick to the more recent s16 model if possible.

#5 ·
That's interesting. How old should the Kohlert be? Do you know if they made English Horns too? We're in no rush whatsoever, but if I ever come across the 'English Horn deal of the century' it would be nice to know (for my daughter, who plays the oboe...)...

#6 ·
Thank you all for your help. Bassoons for sale in Australia are like Koala bears for sale in NYC, there aren`t many. I`ve located a few however and would value your input.
Moosman (new)..... US$7000
Shreiber S16.........US$6700
" Short reach....US$5830
" S71.........US$11055
None of these prices are very studenty to start with but would check these. They are available in Aus, bought from USA who have bought from "I don`t know".
Sterling SBS wood, Silver plated keys.....new US$1400 and
I&K Bassoon model TS-IKII-L maple......new US$2050
Both of these last two are detailed on ebay.com.au
Thanks.

#7 ·
I bought a used Kohlert about 10 years ago for $350 and a junker soprano. It's considered a student horn, but it really suits my needs beautifully. I bought it from an instrument-repair guy I knew. I love playing it.

It really depends on the price range you're looking at. You can find good instruments at every level.

I would look also in any used merchandise publications you might find in a convenience store. (Where I live it's called the "Want-Ad Press.")

And I would check out eBay. I've had success with two great horns (a trumpet and English horn) at good prices on eBay. They always have many bassoons for sale, and good ones, too. Make sure the seller sounds like they know what they're talking about. And avoid the Chinese ones--I tried one once and it was absolutely horrible!

Last bit of advice--if you know you're going to have a teacher, why not contact that teacher first, say you want lessons but need help in finding a good instrument first. It's a win-win situation: if they find you a good horn, they get a new student!

#8 ·
You can buy the Puchner I have, but uhh well, it may be a hair out of the price range. The plastic Fox's are actually REALLY good. Had one until I got my Puchner. You can sometimes find them for sale, but a lot of pros buy them up pretty quick for outdoor gigs so they don't have to worry about the wood cracking on their good horns.

#9 ·
what model of Moosman is it? If that's within your price range they are a great bassoon and will see you through for many years

another vote from me for Fox, they really great beginner (and pro!) instruments. I think of Fox as equivalent to yamaha in clarinets and saxes i.e. great, consistent instruments that allow your playing to develop without holding you back and hold really good retail value

I'm not keen on schreiber but that's purely personal and based on only one example I tried a long time ago, perhaps the new model as suggested above are better

I would stay well clear of the last couple of ebay choices, you are either going to love bassoon and need to upgrade within 5 minutes of receiving them (if they're playable at all) or they will make life so difficult for you that you may hate bassoon before ever being able to give it a go

whereabouts in Australia are you?

#15 ·
what model of Moosman is it? If that's within your price range they are a great bassoon and will see you through for many years.
+1 for Moosmann if you can afford it. I had an "intermediate" model for a while that played far better than the 84xx Heckel that preceded it.

If you are going with a Fox/Renard, I would recommend the short-bore models. The 220 seems to be a popular model for serious students.

#10 ·
Thing is I don`t know whether I`m going to like bassoon or not, hence my reluctance to outlay much over 2 or 3 grand to start wuth. I`ve asked but have`nt received a reply yet on the last two but I reakon they would be from China. They do offer a 2week trial and return tho` so maybe I`ve got nothing to lose except the $35 postage.
Hi smilez, I live in Port Macquarie, 4 hrs up from Syd. Cheers, Ronish

#14 ·
I played tenor sax in school, played bari for a year, then switched to bassoon at the request of my band director. I loved it. The embouchure was not that hard to figure out. I played off-the-shelf reeds (and made them last because they were pricey). I only stopped bassoon when I graduated, and could not afford to buy one of my own. Just my experience.

#17 ·
You are correct. I contradicted myself. Sorry for that.

I would indeed steer someone towards the short-bore models, but the 220 (a long-bore model) is a very popular instrument that could and does get used at the university level. When I recently asked a college professor for a recommendation, he recommended I get a 220, which is why I mentioned it. It is less expensive than the 240 for reasons I don't really understand. Between the two, I personally would be looking at the 240.

In addition to the 8k Heckel and the Moosmann I have owned a Fox model I, and currently own a Fox 301 (same as 201 but not wood). The model I (the top-of-the-line long bore) simply did not seem to have the characteristic focused sound of a Heckel-style bassoon in my opinion.

I was mainly trying to steer the poster away from the 41, which is *really* a student instrument. That's what the kids at my son's middle school play.

Alan

#18 ·
Would you comment on the Chinese ones. Perhaps they labour under a bad country of origin. I`ve heard some very good reports on them (or is it some of them?) and at a third of the price and perhaps, for a senior who wont be going further that a little local band worth a look??

#19 ·
The only Chinese made bassoons I've played that were any good were the Takedas bassoons - they, however, are finished in Japan. Much pricier than most Chinese bassoons, but worth it.

#20 ·
I know this is probably a dumn question but I`m playing on a bassoom ( I may buy) that has no markings on it except one word Armstrong. Anyone heard of it? My question really is how do I know if it is wood or plastic? From the look of the case it must be at least 10 yrs. old. Maybe there were`nt any plastic ones back then.

#21 ·
My advice:
Don't spend too much if you're not sure you want to persue bassoon, but spend enough to give it a dencent go.
Go for a used Schreiber or Kohlert or Conn bassoon in playing condition;
They're decent European instruments and will last a long time. Because they're german, they have a tendancy to be sharp, but if you get a used one for about US$1000 on ebay, you will hopefully have enough cash left over for a longer bocal.
Lintons considerably worse, but are durable and free blowing, and are fine to learn on if you really don't want to spend that much.
Chinese bassoons are dangerous, and far worse than chinese saxophones, as I have discovered by experience (I've tried 8 of them, none of which was playable) and even though they seem cheap, they're overpriced, considering how cheaply you can get a decent used bassoon.

Just my 2 cents,

cheers,

Oscar

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.