P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Runyon Custom differences

Default Runyon Custom differences

Is there a difference in the material used (plastic) on the black piece, versus the color (blue, amber, red) pieces?

I was curious since the colors are translucent and the black is not.

Distinguished SOTW Member

Santy used to joke that the red was for hot jazz, the blue was for playin' da blues.

But no, the material is the same on all colors. The color tint, whether black, red, blue, or amber is a very tiny percentage of the total mix. Most of the material (and it is a mix of several different materials) is clear like glass, and the mouthpiece would be clear if not for the tint. Out of a double handful of the raw beads, you would only see 6 or 8 color beads. I was very surprised at how little tint is added to color the raw materials.

BTW, the plastic is a blend, or as Santy called it, and "alloy" of Acrylic and a synthetic rubber that was engineered to have the same "flex modulus" as quality hard rubber. Flex modulus being the same means it vibrates the same, and therefore sounds the same as hard rubber.
    You are all welcome to contact me at tenorman@teche.net, which is my public email address set up especially for my friends here on Sax On The Web.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Guru MojoBari's Avatar

Do yellow and blue beads make green tint...?

Distinguished SOTW Member

I asked about mixing colors, but no can do. Perhaps they could just buy green beads. I don't know.
    You are all welcome to contact me at tenorman@teche.net, which is my public email address set up especially for my friends here on Sax On The Web.