P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Basic technician in Vancouver

Default Basic technician in Vancouver

I've purchased my saxophone for a few years now, and being the beginner (which I still am) when I purchased it, I didn't bother to bring it to get it tuned up etc. Now, I'm somewhat dissatisfied with the tuning of the instrument and the middle D in particularly is extremely in sharp. The neck cork seems to be a bit loose too because I used the Yamaha mpc that came with it, and now I switched to a Meyer 6M and the Yamaha was much tighter than the Meyer.

If I'm correct, if you are sharp, you shorten the saxophone correct (by pushing in)? On my saxophone, it becomes even more sharp?! This is why I'm quite firm on replacing the cork, because the previous Yamaha really compressed the cork.

How much will it cost me to get my saxophone tuned? The cork replaced?

I'm going to bring it to Tom Lee, Long & McQuade or Prussin. Anyone know which one of the 3 have the best repairman? Pricing?

Distinguished SOTW Member BarrySachs's Avatar

Default Re: Basic technician in Vancouver

Terry Deane is one of the best saxophone techs anywhere. He was in New York for many years working as the saxophone repairman to the stars. The last time I spoke with him he was living in Abbotsford BC and working at Tom Lee. Here are his SOTW stats.

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/member.php?u=17955

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

I will vouch for Terry Deane as well.
    I bought a used Selmer Serie III tenor through him,
    nicely set up.

I have had good experiences with Massullo Music in Burnaby. Recommended.

http://www.massullomusic.com/

W.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Steve and Reno at L&M do all the horns for the lower mainland here.
    Plus we're actually downtown.

All the places mentioned so far are a good drive from Downtown Van. Massullo being the closest.

Steve has done all the work on my horns. Couldn't be happier.

Sandro at Masullo's is a damn fine player and tech though. And I think their prices are a tad better than ours if your willing to go out to burnaby.
    (\__/) Amati ATS-61 Custom Unlacquered key work, Phil Barone Neck
    (0.o ) CUSTOM: DG LT Studio, CE Winds Legend I. FL Ultimate lig, Vando Blue Box 2.5
    (> < ) www.soundclick.com/seanwinterJAZZ All of my posts should be prefaced by "IMHO"

Quote Originally Posted by wmclean View Post
    I have had good experiences with Massullo Music in Burnaby. Recommended.

http://www.massullomusic.com/

W.
    Seconded. (Thirded?)

Incidentally, if you are sharp, you pull the mouthpiece out further on the cork. Your neck cork is probably fine, before replacing it, try covering in a thick layer of cork grease and heating it over a candle. Keep it from smoking and charrign by keeping it on the move, and it should soak in the grease and expand. It will probably get too large, but just grease it and use it and it will shape to your new mouthpiece.

So I've been wrong all along?

Sharp = Pull Out (Make longer)
    Flat = Push in (Make shorter)

Anyone want to confirm??
    ---

Back on topic, thanks for the recommendations, I'll see which one of the recommended are closest and I'll get my horn there.

Distinguished Member and Bass Sax Extraordinaire Helen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Swingline View Post
    So I've been wrong all along?

Sharp = Pull Out (Make longer)
    Flat = Push in (Make shorter)

Anyone want to confirm??
    ---

Back on topic, thanks for the recommendations, I'll see which one of the recommended are closest and I'll get my horn there.
    You've got it right now: If you're sharp, you pull the mouthpiece out. If you're flat, you push the mouthpiece in.

Re: techs... Another option so far not mentioned is David Gsponer. He used to work for Northwest Music. Really nice guy. Very resonable in his price. Knows his stuff. I don't know where you are location wise, and where you want to go, but his shop is in Newton (part of Surrey). His shop number is: 604-596-7616. Lots of pros take their horns to him.
    One day the bass saxophone will make a comeback, and rule the earth
    Bassic Sax (The website) Just Your Bassic Blog (The weblog: part of the website, but updated daily) Bassic Sax Pix (Lots of pretty sax photos)

And my band director's been telling me to push in when I'm sharp ...

Thanks for the recommendation Helen, I'll give David a call.

If it makes it easy to remember, think about pulling out the slide on a slide whistle. It gets longer so it gets lower. Middle D is one of the worst notes, sadly. Try pressing your low B key while holding middle D- it should bring the pitch down nicely. It's a pain in the butt, but it helps.