P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classical Tenor Sax Musicians?

Default Classical Tenor Sax Musicians?

hey im trying to find how a real classical tenor sax should sound like, i only know how the alto sounds like but there are hardly any classical tenors, so do you guys know any classical tenor sax people i should listen to?

Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor Merlin's Avatar

Default Re: Classical Tenor Sax Musicians?

James Houlik is considered by most to be the pre-eminent classical tenor player, so you should try and find some of his recordings.

FWIW, there are one or two classical tenor clips on my own site that may be useful for you.

Yes, James Houlik is the concert tenor saxo pioneer and is still the man.
    CDs:
    - Tenor Tapestry
    - Eric Ewazen "Orchestral Music and Concertos"
    - Music of Russell Peck
    http://www.jameshoulik.com

Also, check out the recordings of these outstanding concert tenor saxos:

Stephen Pollock CDs:
    "So Near So Far"
    "Songs from the Heart"
    http://www.stephen-pollock.com

Niels Bijl CD:
    "Chant du Saxophone Tenor"
    http://www.nielsbijl.nl

Yasushi Arai CD:
    "Fantasia"
    Concert Saxophonist ~ Artisan Barman
    YSS875EXHGLAS • SG2RS • S27 • M/O • 4
    YAS875EXS • AV1AG • A28 • M/O • 3

Distinguished SOTW Member NissanVintageSax's Avatar

Much like the Soprano can sound oboe-ish, the Alto English Horn-ish, and the Bari Contra-Bassoon-ish, the Tenor sounds very much Bassoon-ish .
    '60s Vito (France) Mo 38 A.Sax; '22 Harwood Professional C(Buescher Stencil); '26 King Bari; '70s H. Couf Superba II Tenor Sax;'20s Beaufort American Curvy Sop (Conn stencil) w/white Roos blueminorjazzcombo@groups.facebook.com

James Houlik. there is some recordings of Claude Delangle on Tenor floating around. Andy Scott. and John Harle also come to mind.

Tenor saxophone is quickly becoming a very popular choice for contemporary music perhaps due to its ability to play the most extreme of any of the saxophones.

Marcus Weiss, Laurent Estoppey, Lars Mlekusch, Vincent Daoud (the last three being in a group called 4tenors) and Jean-Michel Goury all have sick abilities on tenor. Those are just the first to come to mind. Google any of their names and there should be sound clips on their website, especially Estoppey.

Yes, I was forgetting avant-garde concert tenor saxo. Jean-Michel Goury is the man. My favorite CD of his is "Lifting", but he has quite a number of quality releases. http://www.goury-josset.net

Quote Originally Posted by Sean P View Post
    Tenor saxophone is quickly becoming a very popular choice for contemporary music perhaps due to its ability to play the most extreme of any of the saxophones.
    I couldn't agree with you more. It's really exciting that composers are finally catching on!
    Adjunct Professor of Saxophone and Music History Lecturer, Georgian Court University
    Saxophone Ensemble and Saxophone Choir Director, Youth Orchestra of Central Jersey
    www.jordanpsmith.com

but i doubt that i'll be playing those music :P i always have the worst part of the band which you can never hear the tenor sax since we're usually having a mixture of the alto sax, baritone, trombone, and french horn part mixed up together
    unless a band director that i will have will play modern music like of right now

John Moore is also one of the great Classical Tenor Saxophonists. Though I don't know that he has recorded much. But, I am sure he has some recordings floating around out there.

E-mail problem

John Moore's my favorite, but it will be hard for you to find a recording of him. Your best bet is to find some good saxophone quartet recordings and carefully listen for the tenor player. Fabrizio Mancuso (Habanera Quartet), Bruce Weinberger (Rascher Quartet), and the previously-mentioned Stephen Pollack (New Century Quartet) are all good players to listen to. Be aware that all three sound very different, though.

Distinguished SOTW Member SaxPlayer1004's Avatar

Lynn Klock doesn't play tenor much, but he's really good as well. another +1 for Jim Houlik.

The only way you'll hear John Moore (aside from the Aeolian Saxophone Quartet audio cassette) is if you show up at the Cardinal Saxophone Workshop.

It's a travesty that he has not recorded. He's amazing.

Angel

John Moore performs frequently and I know that many of his performances are recorded. If you are able to hear his live performances by all means go hear them. Honestly, I love his playing. He's one of my favorite musicians and one of my teachers (no bias there). But, I have often wondered why he does not record much. I've never asked him. Though, I believe there are some old recordings of him playing in a saxophone trio with, if I'm not mistaken, Pat Meighan and Lee Patrick. I'll try to remember to ask him about recordings the next time I talk with him. However, I remember a former teacher of mine having some recordings of John Moore. But, I don't know where he got them and I don't know if John knows that they are out there.

+ 1 for Niels. Here's a few other suggetions:

Arno Bornkamp: Metropolis, Heartbreakers (Grab It!), Reed My Mind

Claude Delangle: The Tango CD (forget the name), Sax for a Lady, Solitary Sax, Historic Sax

Koryun Asatryan (tenor player from Alliage quartet)

Fabrizio Mancuso - Tenor player with Habanera Quartet

Another recommendation for Arno Bornkamp. And he is also the Tenor player with the Aurelia Quartet!

Kyle Horch is a wonderful tenor player, I think this CD has him playing tenor in two works :

http://clarinetclassics.com/home/ind...how&ref=CC0029

Although I have no association with this CD in anyway whatsoever he is a friend of mine.

Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor Merlin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Mickel View Post
    John Moore performs frequently and I know that many of his performances are recorded. If you are able to hear his live performances by all means go hear them. Honestly, I love his playing. He's one of my favorite musicians and one of my teachers (no bias there). But, I have often wondered why he does not record much. I've never asked him. Though, I believe there are some old recordings of him playing in a saxophone trio with, if I'm not mistaken, Pat Meighan and Lee Patrick. I'll try to remember to ask him about recordings the next time I talk with him. However, I remember a former teacher of mine having some recordings of John Moore. But, I don't know where he got them and I don't know if John knows that they are out there.
    There are certainly recordings of John's recitals at the Cardinal Workshops in 2002, 2003 and 2005. They were only available to the workshop participants.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Mickel View Post
    There are certainly recordings of John's recitals at the Cardinal Workshops in 2002, 2003 and 2005. They were only available to the workshop participants.
    Yea that is true. All of the performances from the Cardinal Workshops are recorded. They were recorded in 2006, 2007, and 2008 as well.

Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011

There are a couple of clips on Houlik's web site. mentioned in Angel's post below.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Yes, James Houlik is the concert tenor saxo pioneer and is still the man.
    CDs:
    - Tenor Tapestry
    - Eric Ewazen "Orchestral Music and Concertos"
    - Music of Russell Peck
    http://www.jameshoulik.com

Also, check out the recordings of these outstanding concert tenor saxos:

Stephen Pollock CDs:
    "So Near So Far"
    "Songs from the Heart"
    http://www.stephen-pollock.com

Niels Bijl CD:
    "Chant du Saxophone Tenor"
    http://www.nielsbijl.nl

Yasushi Arai CD:
    "Fantasia"
    The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there is no good evidence either way. - Bertrand Russell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast