P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: how to shorten a video to it will fit on youtube (or how to split it in half?)

Default how to shorten a video to it will fit on youtube (or how to split it in half?)

with their 10 minute time limit?

i have about 11 mins of video i was to upload
    and its barely over.

Help, on how to either shorten or split it into two videos.
    Alto: cannonball big bell series, silver plated. vandoren AL3 with vandoren 3.5's or stock cannonball with jazz selects Soprano "maxtone", vandoren AL3 vandoren 3'sClarinet: 1950's buffet r13, vandoren b45, vandoren 3.5's
    flute: miyazawa 202, 9mz headjoint. piccolo: emerson boston legacy with keefe headjoint.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 warp x's Avatar

Default Re: how to shorten a video to it will fit on youtube (or how to split it in half?)

Can't you compress it a bit?

Default Re: how to shorten a video to it will fit on youtube (or how to split it in half?)

how? what do you mean by compress?
    Alto: cannonball big bell series, silver plated. vandoren AL3 with vandoren 3.5's or stock cannonball with jazz selects Soprano "maxtone", vandoren AL3 vandoren 3'sClarinet: 1950's buffet r13, vandoren b45, vandoren 3.5's
    flute: miyazawa 202, 9mz headjoint. piccolo: emerson boston legacy with keefe headjoint.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 Finnerski's Avatar

If you already have it on a video file on your computer you can use Windows Movie Maker. It is free software that you can use. There are several videos on youtube that will show you how to use it. If your file is on a DVD then you can use AVS software to convert it to a MAV or WAV file and then use the Windows Movie Maker. Do a little reasearch on youtube, its pretty easy to figure out.
    Finnerski

Quote Originally Posted by Finnerski View Post
    If you already have it on a video file on your computer you can use Windows Movie Maker. It is free software that you can use. There are several videos on youtube that will show you how to use it. If your file is on a DVD then you can use AVS software to convert it to a MAV or WAV file and then use the Windows Movie Maker. Do a little reasearch on youtube, its pretty easy to figure out.
    thank you

uhm. its off of my digital camera
    and it says its a avi file...does that make a difference?

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 Finnerski's Avatar

I'm pretty sure an avi file will work. Upload that from your camera to your computer then use the microsoft movie maker. It's pretty easy to use, do a search on using microsoft movie maker on youtube. There are lots of examples. Once you get your video edited in the movie maker you just upload it to youtube. Piece of cake!
    Finnerski

Distinguished SOTW Member crazydaisydoo's Avatar

Hi Finnerski,

As said, use windows movie maker (or imovie on a mac) splitting an avi clip is really easy.

Why not use this program to add a title and fade in and fade out? Makes it much better for the viewer....

Personally, rather than spllt the clip 50/50, I would find a natural point in the action

Please use the excellent youtube "annotation" feature to add a link to the second video on the first once you have uploaded both. Add this annotation near the end of the first video. Don't forget to call your videos "Part 1 of 2" and "Part 2 of 2" in the titles.

If you want good viewing figures then be clever with your tags. I have seen some excellent stuff with just the words "Jazz" or "Sax" in the tags, with very low viewing figures. Mine normally have 10-20 words relevant to the song. I pretty much always use the word "saxaphone" incorrectly spelt too, about 3% of my hits come from that word.....The youtube search engine uses the Title, Description, and Tags, so bear that in mind.

If you are on mac
    download ffmpegx http://ffmpegX.com/ can convert between most video formats

Quote Originally Posted by Finnerski View Post
    I'm pretty sure an avi file will work. Upload that from your camera to your computer then use the microsoft movie maker. It's pretty easy to use, do a search on using microsoft movie maker on youtube. There are lots of examples. Once you get your video edited in the movie maker you just upload it to youtube. Piece of cake!
    thank you so much
    i got it to work