Sax on the Web Forum banner

Selmer Soloist Sax

38K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Dande 
#1 ·
I have a Selmer Soloist saxophone. I have no idea. Never heard. Cant find anything on it, just mouthpieces. I really think its a la viox because its ingraved big belled but model numbers dont match? Model number it says is
AK066. Any help?!?

#2 ·
Wizado, La Voix models are ingraved with the La Voix name on them. The serial number on the the La Voix is on two lines eg.

AK123

That is how it is stamped on my La Voix soprano. However the paperwork has the serial listed all as one 01234AK123.

It seems to me that because your horn has that AK on it, it most likely was manufactured at the same factory in Taiwan where most of the Selmer USA stuff is coming from these days. My guess is, is that it was a precurser of the La Voix and La Vie lines. They have since discontinued the La Vie and are now marketing the La Voix II.

You did not say if your horn is an alto or tenor. Also, do you like the way it plays? Sounds?

#3 ·
Its an alto. I love the way it sounds. Im pretty sure its not a La Vie cause ive seen some and they say La Vie too. I know that Bach and Selmer did a thing together and made "soloists", and i was just wondering because im thinking about selling it and buying a Yamaha 62 series.

#4 ·
i just bought a black nickel plated selmer soloist alto sax. i was wondering the same thing as you. it has a nice sound and a quick response time. but i recently got rid of my "artist series" accent saxophone that some guy at marshall music in michigan sold my mom (peice of crap, never buy one) and i took it back to get a nicer one and they told me that this was the nicer one of the ones they could give me money on from my old sax. does anyone know anything about these saxophones? i can't find anything anywhere on the internet about them. it makes me suspicious....

#5 ·
The Soloist is an alternative name available to select dealers in order to give them an 'exclusive' name brand to sell. It also makes it harder to comparison shop the La Voix saxes as this is what they are. They have different engraving and packaging as well. They are the same as the Omega versions, as well.
Taiwan made and not available anymore as Selmer now imports the La Voix II from another Taiwan manufacturer. That horn combines the attributes of the La Voix and La Vie (which is also not available).

#9 ·
For posterity (when the eBay link dies) that was a black nickel with lacquer keys model alto in very good condition that went for $438 + $25 shipping.

#10 ·
I have got your answer. I called Selmer at 574-522-1675 and got a live operator and was transferred to someone that could answer my questions immediately. I just bought a Selmer soloist provided them the serial number and was told the model was model TSOL 300 and was built in 2010. Was told Selmer still sells it today $2,595 retail but I found it difficult to find on line as I think it is again branded for retailers under a different name. Love the horn, mine was in near mint condition, big bell, high f# key great sound. I probably paid a premium at $652 but it came with a month warranty so I will take it back in 30 days for any adjustments or repairs. Hope this was helpful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.