P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Help Needed: Recording Concert Band with Zoom H2

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor 2009 JoAnnPeeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    358

    Default Help Needed: Recording Concert Band with Zoom H2

    I recently purchased a Zoom H2 and an 8GB SD card for the purpose of recording the community concert band I play in. For anyone who has used this device before, do you have any suggestions on how to setup for recording? I have both a mic stand and a camera tripod. If I understand correctly I should be able to use either. Which would be better? What is the correct way to set the gain to reduce clipping to a minimum? Also, are there any features of the Zoom H2 which I should become really familiar with in order to improve my success? I would like to take it to our next practice to get some experience for setting up on our next concert. Is there anything I should look out for which would change the setup I should use for concerts from the one I should use during practice?

    Thanks for any advice you can give.
    JoAnn Peeler
    Soprano: Antigua 586LQ || Alto: Selmer Paris Serie III
    Tenor: Yanagisawa T901 || Bari: Leblanc 7190BA

  2. #2
    Distinguished SOTW Member Fader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    4,365

    Default Re: Help Needed: Recording Concert Band with Zoom H2

    no problem......record at 24bit / 48k for the best resolution. A mic stand with the provided adapter works fine. Set it up out of the wind somewhere in the "listening area" in such a way that no one will bang into it. By the FOH mixer is great as then you get to hear what they hear. The 120 degree setting is best for what you describe. It's the last setting - the unit needs to be turned around backwards for this to work correctly. The record indicator light on the back of the unit will come on to show you the rear mics are active. Scroll through the options and turn on the compresser / limiter and choose "concert" (I think - I'm not near my unit). If after hearing the playback, the levels are too low, choose studio for the compression setting. the gain settings on the side are disabled when the comp. is on.....Avoid clipping - you can always boost a weak signal but removeing nasty digital feedback is virtually impossible. Good luck!

    PS. Place the H2 above your audience if possible so bodies don't block the sound.

  3. #3
    Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor Merlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Stratford, ON, Canada
    Posts
    3,039

    Default Re: Help Needed: Recording Concert Band with Zoom H2

    Don't put it too far back. Don't put it too low. Don't use auto gain control.

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor 2009 JoAnnPeeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    358

    Default Re: Help Needed: Recording Concert Band with Zoom H2

    Quote Originally Posted by Fader View Post
    no problem......record at 24bit / 48k for the best resolution. A mic stand with the provided adapter works fine. Set it up out of the wind somewhere in the "listening area" in such a way that no one will bang into it. By the FOH mixer is great as then you get to hear what they hear. The 120 degree setting is best for what you describe. It's the last setting - the unit needs to be turned around backwards for this to work correctly. The record indicator light on the back of the unit will come on to show you the rear mics are active. Scroll through the options and turn on the compresser / limiter and choose "concert" (I think - I'm not near my unit). If after hearing the playback, the levels are too low, choose studio for the compression setting. the gain settings on the side are disabled when the comp. is on.....Avoid clipping - you can always boost a weak signal but removeing nasty digital feedback is virtually impossible. Good luck!

    PS. Place the H2 above your audience if possible so bodies don't block the sound.
    Very nice! Thank you very much. As far as placing above the audience, are you implying that the H2 should be setup behind the audience? Just clarifying as my first thought was to setup between the director and the audience and as high as my stand will allow.
    JoAnn Peeler
    Soprano: Antigua 586LQ || Alto: Selmer Paris Serie III
    Tenor: Yanagisawa T901 || Bari: Leblanc 7190BA

  5. #5
    Forum Contributor 2009 JoAnnPeeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    358

    Default Re: Help Needed: Recording Concert Band with Zoom H2

    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    Don't put it too far back. Don't put it too low. Don't use auto gain control.
    Is AGC the same thing as auto compression/limitting?
    JoAnn Peeler
    Soprano: Antigua 586LQ || Alto: Selmer Paris Serie III
    Tenor: Yanagisawa T901 || Bari: Leblanc 7190BA

  6. #6
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2011
    MartinMusicMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    10,712

    Default Re: Help Needed: Recording Concert Band with Zoom H2

    Quote Originally Posted by JoAnnPeeler View Post
    setup between the director and the audience and as high as my stand will allow.
    yes...
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 2, bunch of other instruments
    Wall Of Blues, youtube video, P-Town All-Stars, get Rich, Cannons (my band in the 60's) and Cannons record

  7. #7
    Distinguished SOTW Member Fader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    4,365

    Default Re: Help Needed: Recording Concert Band with Zoom H2

    Quote Originally Posted by JoAnnPeeler View Post
    Very nice! Thank you very much. As far as placing above the audience, are you implying that the H2 should be setup behind the audience? Just clarifying as my first thought was to setup between the director and the audience and as high as my stand will allow.

    That's a great place for it (between director and audience). I'm not used to having the luxury of a director .....

    And rather than AGC, you want to be able set your own compression level...if you can try a couple of different settings during a practice and see what's best.

  8. #8
    Forum Contributor 2009 JoAnnPeeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    358

    Default Re: Help Needed: Recording Concert Band with Zoom H2

    Quote Originally Posted by Fader View Post
    That's a great place for it (between director and audience). I'm not used to having the luxury of a director .....

    And rather than AGC, you want to be able set your own compression level...if you can try a couple of different settings during a practice and see what's best.
    Our community band directors are great. In a 50-60 piece concert band, its always nice to have a talented director (or two!)

    I'm going to take to our Monday practice along with my camera tripod (I don't have a mic clip, but one is ordered.) I'll give it a try with the concert settings and see what happens. I'll post back if I run into any problems.
    JoAnn Peeler
    Soprano: Antigua 586LQ || Alto: Selmer Paris Serie III
    Tenor: Yanagisawa T901 || Bari: Leblanc 7190BA

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •