P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: I have been offered a pit job...

Über Geek
    Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SOTW Member

Default Re: I have been offered a pit job...

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz House View Post
    Honestly, people. I am not one to usually make excuses and would appreciate not being labeled as a person who makes excuses for everything. I just can't do this one. I am also a bit short for altos.
    You're okay. There's nothing wrong with not having enough time, or not having the horn, or feeling like you'd rather be better prepared.

*I* respect people who run into these things, anyway. Pit playing will always be there when you're ready to do it. If you want to, then get ready.
    "Nothing is worse for a musician than getting an opportunity you aren't prepared for." - Quincy Jones

Quote Originally Posted by bari_sax_diva View Post
    Pit playing will always be there when you're ready to do it. If you want to, then get ready.
    Not in this country , opportunities don't come that easily and with previous government cutting arts funding which got rid of 40+ orchestras around the country.

Maybe in some of the more remote areas like Far North Queensland but not in the rest of the country.

Victoria has a better live music scene than NSW where most venues\pubs and clubs were ripped out and replaced with poker machines.
    Don't know what its like in Queensland or WA.

Ask Bootman , or others like him, what the music industry in Australia is like for work.

Über Geek
    Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SOTW Member

Quote Originally Posted by al9672 View Post
    Pit playing will always be there when you're ready to do it. If you want to, then get ready.
    Not in this country , opportunities don't come that easily and with previous government cutting arts funding which got rid of 40+ orchestras around the country.

Maybe in some of the more remote areas like Far North Queensland but not in the rest of the country.

Victoria has a better live music scene than NSW where most venues\pubs and clubs were ripped out and replaced with poker machines.

Ask Bootman , or others like him, what the music industry in Australia is like for work.
    All the more reason not to make things harder by developing a reputation for being incompetent.
    "Nothing is worse for a musician than getting an opportunity you aren't prepared for." - Quincy Jones

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum Contributor 2014 gary's Avatar

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto
    Julius Keilwerth SX90R tenor

Distinguished SOTW Member Jazz House's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by al9672 View Post

Unlike most of Queensland, Cairns is very lucky to have a very high concentration of good music teachers. There is a jazz club and there are loads of bands in town. The organization that the teachers are a member of wants to centralize the money and distribute it equally all over Queensland, but the teachers hate that. They want to keep the money they earn so that they can have an Eisteddfod and all of these bands around town.
    Soprano: Jean Baptiste Deluxe Curved Soprano, Bari Gold #8,#3 Alexander Superial reeds
    Tenor: Conn 10M Naked Lady, Sakshama Shorty 7*, #3S RJS reeds

Index of Common Questions!!!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345