P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick! Low G and A on tenor

Exclamation Quick! Low G and A on tenor

I need help on playing the low g especially and a on the tenor sax, like fingerings and how you play it to make it work, etc. I'm in a rush....[Impnt]

Default Re: Quick! Low G and A on tenor

G: L123
    A: L12

Those are the basic fingerings. What do you need?

Forum Contributor 2011
    SOTW's pedantic pet rodent

Quote Originally Posted by Chunsoo View Post
    I need help on playing the low g especially and a on the tenor sax, like fingerings and how you play it to make it work, etc. I'm in a rush....[Impnt]
    Umm..

XXX 000
    XX0 000.

Actually your question seems a little bizarre if you can play at least some other notes, your sax is in working order and you have a fingering chart..
    "The sound of tireless voices is the price we pay for the right to hear the music of our own opinions."

If you're talking about the ones below then forget it.

Forum Contributor 2013
    Distinguished SOTW Member

I'm going to guess you mean Low G and A below the staff. Low A you can get pretty easily by twisting your left knee into the bell of the horn. It's awkward, but it works. If you have the posterior of a female singer handy, that works quite well, too.

Low G I've never attempted to get, but I suppose for that you'd need to build an extension to the bell that you can pop in... Maybe a Big Gulp could be adapted to work, or something similar.

But really, why?

Pete
    Disclaimer: My opinions are not based in any way on research, knowledge, experience, talent, insight, facts, or in some cases reality. Take any advice I offer at your own risk.

A few of Pete's recordings: Check it Out!

Forum Contributor 2013

To play the low A below the staff, play a low Bb and lip it down. It sometimes helps to cover the bell with your left leg. I told my son about it and he can do this pretty well on his YTS62II.

As far as G below the scale goes, I have no clue but I do know that would be some serious lipping.
    Good Luck,

Enviroguy

That's why I said "forget it"

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chunsoo View Post
    Have you considered asking a question politely?

To be honest, you didn't even ask a question, just made a statement and expected people to rush to your aid. There are better ways of finding answers.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 warp x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yamahaaltoplayer View Post
    G: L123
    A: L12

Those are the basic fingerings. What do you need?

He needs a baritone.

Or a low G extension of some sort... if he wants low G below low Bb.

Distinguished SOTW Member Jazz Is All's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SactoPete View Post
    Low A you can get pretty easily by twisting your left knee into the bell of the horn. It's awkward, but it works. If you have the posterior of a female singer handy, that works quite well, too.
    ...or of a drunken female customer, in Marty's case.

Quote Originally Posted by SactoPete View Post
    Low G I've never attempted to get, but I suppose for that you'd need to build an extension to the bell that you can pop in... Maybe a Big Gulp could be adapted to work, or something similar.
    Too bad they don't have spitoons in bars anymore...he could cut out the bottom of one and sit it on top of the bell. It'd go great with a vintage horn too.
    Music is a magic elixir. It renews the spirit and fills the soul with joy -- Jazz Is All
    "It's all about the spirit. The body will be gone in a blink, but the spirit never dies. That is jazz." -- Sonny Rollins
    ParkerColtraneMcLeanRollinsGordonGriffinHendersonErvinDolphyKirkLacyHandySheppMarianoSandersG.AdamsBergSpauldingShorter

Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008 martysax's Avatar
    Boston (pronounced: Bahsten), Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Is All View Post
    ...or of a drunken female customer, in Marty's case.
    I've been given more compliments for the wireless mic I use in those situations. A short skirt works best. Check the local laws. Familiarize yourself with parking lot exits as well.
    Just two questions: Where's the Bar located relative to the stage, and does the band get a discount?

Songs I recorded with The Cyclones

Check out my new informative site!

sorry about that, i was in a rush because i had a full band rehearsal and i had a few min to get there and the walk is like 3 min
    i knew already about putting your leg in the sax for the low A but i thought there was an alternative for that, so like its below the staff line, so i was asking about the low G because its in a song im trying to play so yeah..

Unfortunately, there seems to be a proliferation of pseudo-arrangers that have purchased music software, and mistakenly believe this circumvents the prerequisite for actually knowing music theory and arranging techniques. The result is that they are cranking out charts that consistently have an A below the staff for tenor (I haven't seen G yet, but I am not surprised). I must warn you that pointing this out to such novice arrangers is done so at your own peril.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008 bfahle's Avatar

The only way I play a G below the staff, is if I'm reading concert-pitched music (in which case I can sort of play a low A). Maybe they mistake the tenor for a trumpet, since they are the same key? Trumpet written range is down to F# below the staff. (but of course they play an octave higher than the Tenor, which plays a ninth lower concert pitch than what is written).
    Cannonball "Vintage" Pete Christlieb Tenor
    Pierret Oxford Tenor
    Cannonball Global Soprano

Distinguished SOTW Member Bebopalot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
    Have you considered asking a question politely?

To be honest, you didn't even ask a question, just made a statement and expected people to rush to your aid. There are better ways of finding answers.
    My exact reaction when I read the post.

Knowing why and how long a note would help because there are other ways of getting around having to play a written low G or A.

...or they think a tenor has the same range as a bass clarinet.

It's better to just take them up an octave than to resort to 'tricks' IMO.
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

Distinguished SOTW Member/SOTW Columnist Joey the Saint's Avatar

Low A

The leather pants help but are not necessary. It does help if you stretch out first.

I don't want to think about what you have to put in the bell to get a low G.

Okay, seriously. I found that kicking my leg over the bell and making a ^ with my knee above it (holding my leg up, not resting it on the bell; you'll break your strap hook) essentially "lengthens" the bell and it also doesn't interfere with my bell mike placement the way the knee-against-the-bell trick does.
    "Listen to vocal lines. Everything a sax player needs to know
    about the blues is laid down in 'The Great Gig In The Sky.'"

New album, Old Whiskey in New Bottles, available through
    iTunes

Free track available on
    TuneCore

http://www.joey-the-saint.com

Distinguished SOTW Member themacintrasher's Avatar

Take it up an octave.

Forum Contributor 2011

This thread somehow reminds me of a famous old New Yorker cartoon: the commuter in the suit is at the lunch counter in the train station saying, "Two eggs, 3-minute boiled. Hurry, I've only got 1 minute to catch my train!"
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 2, bunch of other instruments
    Wall Of Blues, youtube video, P-Town All-Stars, get Rich, Cannons (my band in the 60's) and Cannons record

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast