P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Note Numbering.

Default Note Numbering.

I`m getting confused on this. Is a note number, like say the lowest E that can be played on a specific instrument E1 and the next E up, E2 and so on? If so then does it depend on the instrument e.g. E1 on a clarinet would be different staff line E to tenor sax E1?
    Or is the note numbering related to a keyboard and universal so that perhaps middle C (or lower) is C1?

Default Re: Note Numbering.

It's universal. A440 is, well, A4.

Is this in a FAQ somewhere? I can't find it. And of course A2, G2, etc. are all too short to use in the search function.

If it were universal that would be great, but I'm not so sure it's always used in a universal sense around here. Seems it's often used relative to the playable range of the sax. For instance, "G2" is most often referred to as the first G above the staff - -, while "D2" is the D in the middle of the staff - -... the logic being, I suppose, that the lowest G you can play is the G in the middle of the staff - -, making that G1? And if that's the case, what's the A in the middle of the staff... A1? or A2, since there are low-A baris or basses that can play that note?

Which is to say (in case this is not obvious) I don't know either but am curious to find out!
    Last edited by PauliePaul; 01-25-2009 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Edited to emphasize my own ignorance of the subject matter! :)
    "Music is the best" - FZ. "Just move your fingers and blow!" - my PT
    Altos: Martin Handcraft Committee "Skyline" 123xxx, Yamaha YAS-23. Tenor: Yamaha YTS-62IIS

well see it kind of depends:

I've heard it as in course to the instrument.

But i've also heard it the octave a piano would play to match the note...

I use it within the range of the instrument.
    D below the staff D1 On the staff D2 Above the staff D3 8va and so on and so forth
    Alto: Kessler Custom/Otto Link STM 6*/Java's reds and normals
    Tenor: Antigua Winds A550SP/ Runyon Bionix 8/ V16

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum Contributor 2014 gary's Avatar

If you are communicating with knowledgeable musicians and the topic is concert-pitches, you use the keyboard pitch. That is, if you are standing around at a rehearsal with a pianist and a trumpeter and you are all speaking of the Concert Pitch notes, you use the piano's numbering system as the common reference.

When referring to one's own instrument, in and of itself, it is common use to think of the lowest named pitch as "1" and you can to simply "C1" or "C". The next octave will be the second time you see "C", so it's "C2".

Regarding a bari with low A, just use your common sense and how the term "A1" would apply to the context of the conversation. Frankly, if you are talking to someone who knows your horn has a low A, then it should be understood that your "A"" is the octave above your low A. And if he's playing a conventional alto, his "A2" is an octave above second space A. Context.

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto
    Julius Keilwerth SX90R tenor

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by gary View Post
    If you are communicating with knowledgeable musicians and the topic is concert-pitches, you use the keyboard pitch.
    This makes sense. I would add that since we are on a saxophone forum, we use the sax numbering.
    Life is too short for long tones

Quote Originally Posted by gary View Post
    When referring to one's own instrument, in and of itself, it is common use to think of the lowest named pitch as "1" and you can to simply "C1" or "C". The next octave will be the second time you see "C", so it's "C2".
    Thanks Gary.
    "Music is the best" - FZ. "Just move your fingers and blow!" - my PT
    Altos: Martin Handcraft Committee "Skyline" 123xxx, Yamaha YAS-23. Tenor: Yamaha YTS-62IIS