P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: 25 Great (Rock) Sax Solos

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008 bfahle's Avatar

Default 25 Great (Rock) Sax Solos

This is a book by Eric J. Morones of transcriptions of 25 Great Sax Solos. The author currently tours with the Brian Setzer Orchestra, and seems to have a lot of personal knowledge of some of these solos.

Each solo is accompanied by a page or two of text giving the bio of the soloist, as well as some background on the solo itself and some tips for playing it. Growls, flutter tongue, and altissimo are all described in detail, along with some good altissimo fingerings, or alternate fingerings for various "tricks". It also gives the artist's setup when known. There is a picture of each artist and the band when available.

Complete transcriptions in the key of the original recording appear for each solo, although there may be other parts of the song where the horns are playing which are not included in the transcription. Each solo is annotated with where to use the various effects such as growl.

This is by no means a beginner's book, because just about all the solos are difficult, but if you work at it, there is enough there to shed on for a long time. Each solo is demonstrated on an accompanying CD, which just plays the part of the song with the solo, and there is no track WITHOUT the sax, which would have been helpful.

The complete list of the 25 solos follows (listed as they are in the book, in chronological order):
    Tequila by The Champs featuring Chuck Rio on Tenor in G (concert F).
    Yakety Yak by The Coasters featuring King Curtis on Tenor in D (concert C).
    Take Five by the Dave Brubeck Quartet featuring Paul Desmond on Alto in G minor (concert Bb minor)
    Yakety Sax by Boots Randolf on Tenor in D (concert C)
    Shotgun by Junior Walker on Tenor in Bb (concert Ab)
    Respect by Aretha Franklin featuring King Curtis on Tenor in G#minor (concert F# minor)
    Spooky by The Classics IV featuring Mike Sharp/Shapiro on Tenor in G blues (concert F blues) written in one flat.
    Mercy Mercy Me by Marvin Gaye featuring Wild Bill Moore on Tenor in G (F concert)
    Money by Pink Floyd featuring Dick Parry on Tenor in C#minor (B minor concert)
    How Sweet It Is by James Taylor featuring David Sanborn on Alto in E (Concert D) odd, because a lot of guitar tabs show this one in C
    Pick Up The Pieces by the Average White Band featuring Malcom "Molly" Duncan on Tenor in C (Bb concert)
    Takin' It to the Streets by The Doobie Brothers featuring Andrew Love on Tenor in D (actually concert F in mixolydian mode)
    Deacon Blues by Steely Dan featuring Pete Christlieb on Tenor in A (concert G)
    Just The Way You Are by Billy Joel featuring Phil Woods on Alto in B (concert D)
    The Logical Song by Supertramp featuring John Helliwell on Alto in A minor (Concert C minor)
    After the Love Has Gone by Earth, Wind & Fire featuring Don Myrick on Alto in Eb (concert C#, probably a relative minor instead)
    Just the Two of Us by Grover Washington, Jr. on Tenor in Bb (Concert Ab again probably a mode of F)
    Urgent by Foreigner featuring Junior Walker on Tenor in F# minor (concert E minor)
    Waiting on a Friend by The Rolling Stones featuring Sonny Rollins on Tenor in D and C (Concert C and Bb)
    True by Spandau Ballet, featuring Steve Norman on Tenor in F (Concert Eb)
    Maneater by Hall & Oates featuring Charlie DeChamt on Tenor in C#minor (Concert B minor)
    Caribbean Queen by Billy Ocean featuring V. Jeffrey Smith on Tenor in E minor (Concert D minor)
    One Heartbeat by Smokey Robinson featuring Kenny G on Alto in E (Concert D)
    (I've Had) The Time of My Life by Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes featuring Gary Herbig on Tenor in F# (concert E)
    Lily Was Here by Dave Stewart and Candy Dulfer on Alto in C#minor (concert E minor)

Again, Lily was Here gives just the extended solo, not the head for the song nor the guitar echo part. She has a full transcription of this on her site anyway.

Link again:
    25 Great Sax Solos
    Last edited by bfahle; 01-20-2009 at 06:21 PM. Reason: wasn't clear it was rock
    Cannonball "Vintage" Pete Christlieb Tenor
    Pierret Oxford Tenor
    Cannonball Global Soprano

Forum Contributor 2011 tenor71363's Avatar

Default Re: 25 Great Sax Solos

One of my students just showed me this book at our lesson today. It looks pretty good, although I don't recommend it for jazz purists.

Yes they are mostly Rock & Roll songs, and with all the bends, growls, and flutter-tounging involved, it certainly would not be considered jazz.
    Pierret Oxford Tenor

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

My friend borrowed this book from me about two months ago and has yet to give it back!

I'm itching to get back to urgent.

The rhythms in Lilly Was Here are fairly difficult so it's nice to see it written out.
    There's a section right near the beginning where she does this chromatic down to the A (for alto) and then takes it up the octave. I've started doing that on minor tunes lately cause of her.
    (\__/) Amati ATS-61 Custom Unlacquered key work, Phil Barone Neck
    (0.o ) CUSTOM: DG LT Studio, CE Winds Legend I. FL Ultimate lig, Vando Blue Box 2.5
    (> < ) www.soundclick.com/seanwinterJAZZ All of my posts should be prefaced by "IMHO"

Forum Contributor 2008

Default Re: 25 Great (Rock) Sax Solos

I have the book and love it!!!!
    It's great when your kids play sax!!!!More and more Saxophones!!!!All types and manufacturers!!!!

Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the Holton geauxsax's Avatar

Got it too---pretty cool!

I would get it just to read though the Money solo, lol.

Distinguished SOTW Member DanPerezSax's Avatar

My buddy recently told me about this book. Sounds like someone did all the work for anyone who wants to play in a cover band that wants THE ORIGINAL everything. He told me it comes with a CD, too, but that the playing isn't as good as the transcriptions and information.

Just ordered it. I always thought Yakety Sax was in Concert G.
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
    Alto- Selmer Super Balanced Action
    Tenor- Selmer Serie II
    Baritone- King Zypher

Is the book for alto sax or just tenor

Forum Contributor 2013

Quote Originally Posted by DanF View Post
    Just ordered it. I always thought Yakety Sax was in Concert G.
    It is but it modulates to C at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamantara View Post
    Depends on which solo in the book. If it was done on tenor they transcribe it for tenor. Alto - Alto.
    (0.o ) CUSTOM: DG LT Studio, CE Winds Legend I. FL Ultimate lig, Vando Blue Box 2.5
    (> < ) www.soundclick.com/seanwinterJAZZ All of my posts should be prefaced by "IMHO"

I also had the book. Gotta say though, not my favorite. I ended up trading it for a book of Bird licks lol but I liked it while I had it, it had some cool licks.
    YAS-875 EXB, YTS-82ZB, YSS-475II, Trevor James flute, Selmer clarinet
    Music technology major/jazz minor

Distinguished SOTW Member jazzcat58's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sycc View Post
    I have the book and love it!!!!
    an excellent addition to my collection!!!.... too much information is never enough, a good book overall..like it.
    bs gunning

Quote Originally Posted by Tamantara View Post
    If you look through the list I put "on Alto" or "on Tenor" on each transcription. The music in the book is written in the appropriate key transposed for that instrument, based on the original recording mentioned above. Sometimes songs are re-recorded in different keys, etc., so there you have it. Sometimes it's hard for me anyway to tell what key something is in, particularly from just the solo, but what I try to do is stick to the sharps and flats of this particular book, and give a key appropriate to that (major or minor).

So if you just have an alto, you would be able to play about half the songs in the book; likewise tenor.

Of course, this being Rock & Roll, you'll probably also want to get this book.
    Pierret Oxford Tenor

Forum Contributor 2013

Quote Originally Posted by bfahle View Post
    So if you just have an alto, you would be able to play about half the songs in the book; likewise tenor.
    You could conceivably learn the songs in the wrong key for the instrument just for the purpose of seeing which note choices the player was using.

The key won't be right but you'll know the passages/ fingerings all the same.

Cool Re: 25 Great (Rock) Sax Solos

Ty guys
    Alto- Yan A992 with custom silver neck, otto link super tone master 7* and v16 number 3
    Soprano-selmer series 3 silver,jody jazz dv and RICO plasticover 2.5

Quote Originally Posted by littlewailer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bfahle View Post
    You could conceivably learn the songs in the wrong key for the instrument just for the purpose of seeing which note choices the player was using.

The key won't be right but you'll know the passages/ fingerings all the same.
    That's a good point. In fact if you learned it in the wrong key and then later tried it out on the "correct" instrument it would all work out to be the same fingerings you were using before, and it would match the recording.
    Pierret Oxford Tenor