Sax on the Web Forum banner

Open throat and diaphragm breathing

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  newageanubis 
#1 ·
I'm in the process of trying to improve my tone in general. I've been playing tenor saxophone for two years, with some time spent on baritone saxophone as well as alto saxophone.

I've been practising long tones (I recently switched to the exercises on Tim Price's website) and changing my shallow breathing to full-fledged diaphragm breathing. However, when I try to take a breath that fills the lower part of my lungs, I can't breathe in any more after about a second and I feel a discomforting pain in my lower torso - is this just my diaphragm "waking up" after years of shallow breathing, or am I doing something wrong?

Secondly, when I open my throat more than usual, I get a really nice, full sound with no air. However, I overblow quite easily - especially on second line G. Is there any way to fix this?

#2 ·
The quick answer is just keep working at it.

Most problems resolve themselves in time.

The G does tend to split easily, however after a while you should
learn to control this.

We are all built differently so there is no 'one size fits all'.

If you are taking advice from Tim Price, then you are on the right track.
Just give it time.

#3 ·
kavala is probably correct but always be alert to anything that
causes pain. Don't take it too far for too long.

Sitting upright, breathe in fully by pushing your stomach out
and gently filling your lungs, naturally bottom first then
middle & top. Change in pain?

#5 ·
I like to get students to add the "vocal" sound to their tone to establish the open throat concept. I feel it is impossible to "growl" with a closed throat. I tell students to do this while they whistle and for long tones. Sometimes, this exercise will help those who struggle with the throat thing. There are some great threads here to help players to develop this.

#6 ·
rabbit - It's not as discomforting as before when I breathe like that - I think I'm slowly getting better. I'll try to slowly get into the diaphragm breathing habit.

bandmommy - I've never smoked, but I do have a history of asthma. It doesn't affect me that much any more. though.

kavala - For diaphragm breathing and altissimo and other things, I've mainly used Pete Thomas' site.

Thank you all for taking the time to help me out :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.