Antigua Winds
AW Reeds

Default Removing green-blue corrosion from unlacquered brass??

My old alto has some areas (mostly at the edge of the neck, and slightly inside) where the brass has developed some sort of corrosion. It's a bright green-blue color. My guess is that the copper in the brass has corroded, but I'm not sure.

Does anyone know how I can properly clean this stuff off? Is there some sort of brass polish that can be used? I don't want to damage the sax.

Also, is this something that's common for saxophones? I looked at a new alto in a music store the other day, and it seemed to have a bit of the stuff forming at the edge of the neck, where the lacquer stopped.

Distinguished SOTW Technician tbone's Avatar

Plain old Brasso works fine. I prefer Noxon myself but either will get rid of that grunge. If I want to really make one look good I will first polish with Noxon/ Brasso and then re-polish with either Wenol or Simichrome for a real high shine.

Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist

Yes, it is copper corosion. All manner of copper compounds have a green or blue colour - cholorides, sulphates, carbonates, acetates .....

The following site gives an insight in to the variety:
    http://www.realscience.breckschool.o...rPigments.html

With a musical instrument it is likely to be one of the various forms of copper choride, caused by exposure to salt in perspiration.

'Verdigris" correctly refers to copper acetate, made from the action of vinegar (acetic acid) on copper, but is also loosely used to refer to all manner of blue/green copper corrosion.

Distinguished SOTW Technician tbone's Avatar

I just placed that shortcut in my favorites file

It will really come in handy the next time I want to intentionally try to disintegrate a bare brass instrument!

Greenrent

Default Re: Removing green-blue corrosion from unlacquered brass??

Nice post... interesting !

TK Melody Endorser/
    Forum Contributor 2013

A must read. Should be a "sticky".
    http://www.cybersax.com/QA/Q&A_BareMetalSaxes.html
    “We are what we repeatedly do.
    Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.”
    ~Aristotle

Just wondering if this would be an issue on a bare brass finish you allowed to develop a patina, and if it did occur after you tried to have an even patina how would you remove the blue/green corrosion without discoloring the area, thereby making an uneven patina?