P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

View Poll Results: What Yanagisawa do you own?

Voters
500. You may not vote on this poll
  • soprano

202 40.40%
  • alto

212 42.40%
  • tenor

176 35.20%
  • bari

69 13.80%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Yanagisawa owners club

Forum Contributor 2013

Default Re: Yanagisawa owners club

A902 is a great horn, you won't regret of getting it. Mine lacquer lost at almost 20-30% but still play great. Mostly lacquer lost on the bell and the neck lacquer is almost gone off all.
    Alto : Yanagisawa A901 w/A991 underslung neck - Theo Wanne Amma HR 7 - Forestone Filled 3

Quote Originally Posted by Alexwan84 View Post
    A902 is a great horn, you won't regret of getting it. Mine lacquer lost at almost 20-30% but still play great. Mostly lacquer lost on the bell and the neck lacquer is almost gone off all.
    Mine has lacquer loss on a couple spots on the back of the body tube and
    some on the neck, near the cork .

Hopefully, I can get an A902 sometime next year .

New member Yanagisawa owners club
    Just acquired Minty VSP VITO Yani bari 900 #002012XX (year?).
    Played it in 7 piece jazz band rehearsal with metal brilhart mouthpiece 9, then 1 community band concert & then switched to the stock Yani rubber 5. Really like the Yani
    piece, probably will check out larger openings in Yani rubber & metal. VSP ergos, response, tone amazing. Yani stock neck has a little bend in it, anyone have a neck or info on how to get one? Thanks, Joe
    tone

I just got my beautiful A9930 which I won on eBay. What an amazing horn!!! The sound is so sweet and resonant, it plays so easy with Jody Jazz DV and Vandoren Java, especially the high notes.
    The low notes are not as meaty as my Selmer SAII, because of the higher upper harmonics with silver body, but are very well articulated.
    The best thing I like about Yani is intonation, it almost always is in green on my tuner, where Selmer needs a bit of adjusting.
    The mechanics are the best I ever saw - no loose actions, no sloppy keys, just like Lexus. Well-thought and proper metal thickness everywhere.
    I only wish they installed the non-sticky G# extra arm, just like Keilwerth does on their horns, but Keilwerth sterling silver does not have the same beautiful sound as Yani.
    Also, some concerns regarding the lacquer, the horn is a bit more than a year old, but some wear spots start to show up. I think the lacquer they use is too soft which will wear off pretty fast. Anyone has the same issues?
    When inserting the neck, it just stops there, where Selmer has a distinct metal to metal kind of sound, and I can feel when it stops, which I like better.
    Otherwise, very nice horn!!!

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

Congrats on the Yani! Long history of comments here of Yani's with lacquer wear problems. Fortunately, no effect on the sound!

Congrats on the 9930 . Christmas present to yourself, huh ?
    A tenor/alto pair of sterling silver Yanis is a fantasy of mine .

Quote Originally Posted by lucidreamer View Post
    I just got my beautiful A9930 which I won on eBay. What an amazing horn!!! The sound is so sweet and resonant, it plays so easy with Jody Jazz DV and Vandoren Java, especially the high notes.
    The low notes are not as meaty as my Selmer SAII, because of the higher upper harmonics with silver body, but are very well articulated.
    The best thing I like about Yani is intonation, it almost always is in green on my tuner, where Selmer needs a bit of adjusting.
    The mechanics are the best I ever saw - no loose actions, no sloppy keys, just like Lexus. Well-thought and proper metal thickness everywhere.
    I only wish they installed the non-sticky G# extra arm, just like Keilwerth does on their horns, but Keilwerth sterling silver does not have the same beautiful sound as Yani.
    Also, some concerns regarding the lacquer, the horn is a bit more than a year old, but some wear spots start to show up. I think the lacquer they use is too soft which will wear off pretty fast. Anyone has the same issues?
    When inserting the neck, it just stops there, where Selmer has a distinct metal to metal kind of sound, and I can feel when it stops, which I like better.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryptykon View Post
    Congrats on the 9930 . Christmas present to yourself, huh ?
    A tenor/alto pair of sterling silver Yanis is a fantasy of mine .

Quote Originally Posted by lucidreamer View Post
    Thanks!! Pretty expensive present, though, that was meant for Christmas, BirthDay, Valentine and maybe several other holidays to come

I am still new on sax and would probably end my search (at least for now) for a great instrument to play once I got this Yani horn. Selmer SAII is a great horn too, but Yani wins in terms of intonation and playability (smaller hands).

Er, well, I just unknowingly voted again..but since my vote was 9 pages ago...

I will reiterate my opinion, that all you need for Bari is the 901, and maybe a bronze neck to go with it.
    Intellect over emotion. Veritas Vincit. Recommended Reading: How the Irish Saved Civilization. Erin Go Bragh!

Forum Contributor 2009 Maggielou's Avatar

New member here
    I am now the proud owner of an Elimona soprano sax which I bought for a fantastic price on ebay a couple of weeks ago. it does not have the number 800 etc on it. It has a dual neck and serial number dates it to 1990/1991. Absolute pristine condition although I am going to get it checked and serviced beginning of January as it has been through the postal system. I love the salmon pink tinge of colour on the pearly keys.. The whole horn is beautifully made and feels and plays great. It came with a Selmer 80 E mouthpiece.

I am hoping to purchase a Morgan vintage sop mouthpiece from Junkdude but not sure of what size to get. I thought a 6. I play mainly classical. Any advice here much appreciated.

All the best
    Maggie

Last edited by davecoldron; 12-24-2009 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Already posted to this thread - Duh!

Forum Contributor 2014 MoonMind's Avatar

I recently acquired a T-500 (and most definitely not a T-800) in very good condition; at the moment, I use a Brancher ebony mouthpiece L29 with Alexander Superial D.C. reeds (2.5) I normally use for my Cannonball. The stock hard rubber Yani 5 that came with the sax is much too narrow for me, alas. I might have to find some tougher reeds to try it out for real, though.

Even if this may be said to be an intermediate or "step-up" sax, I really enjoy playing it! It may not have the power and responsiveness of my Cannonball, but the sound's really satisfying.

M.
    Last edited by MoonMind; 12-27-2009 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Matter closed for the time being...
    ss: King (H. N. White, curved); Bauhaus Walstein Bronze AI (straight); Mantovanelli (an Orsi stencil, straight).
    as: King Super 20 SilverSonic; Yanagisawa A-6; Selmer SuperAction 80 II; Lyrist "Briard"; Yamaha YAS-25; Jupiter JAS-769-767.
    ts: Yanagisawa T-500; Cannonball T5; Conn 10M.
    bs: Conn 12M; Yanagisawa B-6; Keilwerth The New King.
    => Support Free Software! <=

Forum Contributor 2012 Joe Giardullo's Avatar

I've got a late 70's S800 soprano that I love. Beautiful scale, earthy sound and great response bottom to top.

I had one about 2 years ago, decided I liked something else more and sold it. Then I heard a recording I did with the Yanagisawa and realized I'd made a mistake.

Lucky for me, I found another one in impeccable condition. Whew!
    Info@Sopranoplanet.com
    world class mouthpieces for soprano saxophone
    New: ALMA for alto sax !

I have a stencil S-6 soprano similar to Joe's above. It took me some time to get accustomed to the Mk VI style palm keys but it is worth it. They are very warm-sounding horns.

To the Maggielou, I suggest a Morgan Vintage 4 which is about a Selmer C** to D. The 5 is like a Selmer G and the 6 is like an H or I. So even a 5 is pretty open for classical! You may want to go with a 3C but I dunno if that is still available in the vintage line.

Forum Contributor 2009 Maggielou's Avatar

Glad you found a replacement Joe and thanks MM. I will certainly consider the Morgan 3c in my search.
    Maggielou

My Yani A990B, she's held up remarkably well over the years...great focused darker tone with some edge when pushed a bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Will be joining the club in a few days.Been hunting for a good back up tenor for some while and just found a Yani 991 tenor that comes with a Bronze underslung yani neck,ten years old and just been set up so hurry up postman,i want it now.[Impnt]
    Wedding Solo Saxophone Player For Hire www.smoothsaxsounds.com
    www.youtube.com/saxdaveboy www.soundcloud.com/daveysax1 Tenor Yamaha YTS82Z UL WOF# Yamaha VI Silver plated neck Sakshama B Marsalis G mp, Soprano Elkhart Deluxe, Alto Elkhart Deluxe , www.facebook.com/thedandbjazzproject?www.dbjazz.co.uk

Got my 991 Tenor,about 10 years old.Plays superb and it's very MK6ish in sound to me.Very compact.Make a great jazz horn.Well happy with it.Of the 3 or 4 991 horns i played this is by far the best.Very blown in it feels.I played a mates 992 UL tenor that felt like this.Forgot to say mine came with a new 992 bronze neck so join me in the club.
    Wedding Solo Saxophone Player For Hire www.smoothsaxsounds.com
    www.youtube.com/saxdaveboy www.soundcloud.com/daveysax1 Tenor Yamaha YTS82Z UL WOF# Yamaha VI Silver plated neck Sakshama B Marsalis G mp, Soprano Elkhart Deluxe, Alto Elkhart Deluxe , www.facebook.com/thedandbjazzproject?www.dbjazz.co.uk

Distinguished SOTW Member shmuelyosef's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shmuelyosef View Post
    S990, A880, A990, T880, T992, B991
    Since a year has passed, I thought I would update...no change in Yani ownership!! I play all of them regularly except the A990.
    "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading" --- Henny Youngman

Distinguished SOTW Member

I own a single Yani, an SN 981 'nino. Great fun to play, almost never called for in a score.
    Back on US soil--for a while at least!

Reposting this because the upgrade can't open the pics in my previous post.
    My Yani A990B that I use a Morgan Excalibur 6EL with

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast