Sax on the Web Forum banner

What Yanagisawa do you own?

Yanagisawa owners club

275K views 675 replies 391 participants last post by  Yanilover26 
#1 ·
Welcome to the Yanagisawa owners club. Which Yanagisawa do you own, what mpc and reeds do you use with it, and what kind of playing do you enjoy?

T991 tenor
Yanagisawa 6 HR mpc or JJ HR* 6*
Rico Select Jazz 2M filed
demonstrating things in beginner and intermediate band classes, playing along with Aebersold CDs

#151 ·
I just joined the ranks of the Yanagisawa fans. After trying one a few months ago, I couldn't get the sound out of my head (esp low Bb - smooooth)
so I bought a new 992 Alto. Looks and plays great. Thanks to all who posted on this site to help me make my decision. My wife thanks you too. :TGNCHK::twisted::D:shock::cool:

#153 ·
I have the S880 Elimona, the A992, and the T991.

Use Selmer super session, morgan, and otto link bell tone pieces on the sop.
dukoff and morgan on the alto and tenor.

Reeds: V16, ZZ and plasticover.

Tried a lot of horns and these have the greatest feel and tone for me.

#154 ·
Pick up my new Yani on Thursday. Went for the T9932J. I'm buying this to replace my stolen Selmer SA 80 Ser II Black Lacquered tenor, which was Stolen from my house near Glasgow, Scotland. ( why do I live here? ). Along with it went my Gary Sugal m/p and 3 others. The Selmer has travelled the world with me since buying it in 1995. Totally gutted to have it nicked.

The T9932J is an awesome piece of workmanship. Quite different to play than the Selmer. I just loved the sound from my Selmer and hopefully I will become attached to the Yani like I did the Selmer. I have also ordered a Theo Wanne - Ambika m/p to replace the Gary Sugal m/p. I like the sound of this with the Yani.

Still hoping that one day soon my Selmer will be returned to me.

Ritch

#155 ·
Pick up my new Yani on Thursday. Went for the T9932J. I'm buying this to replace my stolen Selmer SA 80 Ser II Black Lacquered tenor, which was Stolen from my house near Glasgow, Scotland. ( why do I live here? ). Along with it went my Gary Sugal m/p and 3 others. The Selmer has travelled the world with me since buying it in 1995. Totally gutted to have it nicked.

The T9932J is an awesome piece of workmanship. Quite different to play than the Selmer. I just loved the sound from my Selmer and hopefully I will become attached to the Yani like I did the Selmer. I have also ordered a Theo Wanne - Ambika m/p to replace the Gary Sugal m/p. I like the sound of this with the Yani.

Still hoping that one day soon my Selmer will be returned to me.

Ritch
The T9932J is a great tenor ..you're going to love that one !

#156 ·
I have just purchased a Yani T992U/L Bronze Tenor and I absolutley love it!!! I had a later (1972) MK6 which I sold recently. My plan was to buy a Mauriet 66R U/L or the Yamaha 82Z U/L. My main horn was a Yamaha 82Z in Gold Lacquer which I loved and I had no plans to switch.Then the guy in the music shop suggested I try the Yani. I was totally blown away. It's got everything for me, lovely tone dark tone, great ergs & superb action.I thought I might regret selling the MK6 but I don't.
I am a Yani convert through and through and the Yani will now be my main horn.

#159 ·
I bought my T902 used on eBay from a pawnshop 3 years ago.

Had some lacquer missing in a few spots, a bent bell lip and the 8va key
guide on the neck has a broken/missing tab on one side .

Probably belonged to a careless high school kid who's parents bought it
for him .

Sounded incredible, and relegated my T880 to backup status which is
saying something as that was also a great tenor and was in excellent
shape(sold it,reluctantly..)

Got the bell lip straightened out, but not right away as it played too well
to take right to the shop, and it wasn't affecting the sound at all.

Aside from a few cosmetic flaws there is no other structural damages, dents
or dings anywhere and . . it really has an excellent sound.

I planned on picking up a 902 Alto by now, but it hasn't happened, yet.

#163 ·
New member Yanagisawa owners club
Just acquired Minty VSP VITO Yani bari 900 #002012XX (year?).
Played it in 7 piece jazz band rehearsal with metal brilhart mouthpiece 9, then 1 community band concert & then switched to the stock Yani rubber 5. Really like the Yani
piece, probably will check out larger openings in Yani rubber & metal. VSP ergos, response, tone amazing. Yani stock neck has a little bend in it, anyone have a neck or info on how to get one? Thanks, Joe
tone

#164 ·
I just got my beautiful A9930 which I won on eBay. What an amazing horn!!! The sound is so sweet and resonant, it plays so easy with Jody Jazz DV and Vandoren Java, especially the high notes.
The low notes are not as meaty as my Selmer SAII, because of the higher upper harmonics with silver body, but are very well articulated.
The best thing I like about Yani is intonation, it almost always is in green on my tuner, where Selmer needs a bit of adjusting.
The mechanics are the best I ever saw - no loose actions, no sloppy keys, just like Lexus. Well-thought and proper metal thickness everywhere.
I only wish they installed the non-sticky G# extra arm, just like Keilwerth does on their horns, but Keilwerth sterling silver does not have the same beautiful sound as Yani.
Also, some concerns regarding the lacquer, the horn is a bit more than a year old, but some wear spots start to show up. I think the lacquer they use is too soft which will wear off pretty fast. Anyone has the same issues?
When inserting the neck, it just stops there, where Selmer has a distinct metal to metal kind of sound, and I can feel when it stops, which I like better.
Otherwise, very nice horn!!!

#169 ·
New member here :)
I am now the proud owner of an Elimona soprano sax which I bought for a fantastic price on ebay a couple of weeks ago. it does not have the number 800 etc on it. It has a dual neck and serial number dates it to 1990/1991. Absolute pristine condition although I am going to get it checked and serviced beginning of January as it has been through the postal system. I love the salmon pink tinge of colour on the pearly keys.. The whole horn is beautifully made and feels and plays great. It came with a Selmer 80 E mouthpiece.

I am hoping to purchase a Morgan vintage sop mouthpiece from Junkdude but not sure of what size to get. I thought a 6. I play mainly classical. Any advice here much appreciated.
:)
All the best
Maggie

#171 · (Edited)
I recently acquired a T-500 (and most definitely not a T-800) in very good condition; at the moment, I use a Brancher ebony mouthpiece L29 with Alexander Superial D.C. reeds (2.5) I normally use for my Cannonball. The stock hard rubber Yani 5 that came with the sax is much too narrow for me, alas. I might have to find some tougher reeds to try it out for real, though.

Even if this may be said to be an intermediate or "step-up" sax, I really enjoy playing it! It may not have the power and responsiveness of my Cannonball, but the sound's really satisfying.

M.

#172 ·
I've got a late 70's S800 soprano that I love. Beautiful scale, earthy sound and great response bottom to top.

I had one about 2 years ago, decided I liked something else more and sold it. Then I heard a recording I did with the Yanagisawa and realized I'd made a mistake.

Lucky for me, I found another one in impeccable condition. Whew! :D

#173 ·
I have a stencil S-6 soprano similar to Joe's above. It took me some time to get accustomed to the Mk VI style palm keys but it is worth it. They are very warm-sounding horns.

To the Maggielou, I suggest a Morgan Vintage 4 which is about a Selmer C** to D. The 5 is like a Selmer G and the 6 is like an H or I. So even a 5 is pretty open for classical! You may want to go with a 3C but I dunno if that is still available in the vintage line.

#176 ·
Will be joining the club in a few days.Been hunting for a good back up tenor for some while and just found a Yani 991 tenor that comes with a Bronze underslung yani neck,ten years old and just been set up so hurry up postman,i want it now.[Impnt]

#177 ·
Got my 991 Tenor,about 10 years old.Plays superb and it's very MK6ish in sound to me.Very compact.Make a great jazz horn.Well happy with it.Of the 3 or 4 991 horns i played this is by far the best.Very blown in it feels.I played a mates 992 UL tenor that felt like this.Forgot to say mine came with a new 992 bronze neck so join me in the club.

#189 ·
thanks for the compliment, man! truth be told, the good looks of this horn were an added plus because, when I committed to buying it, wasn't the deciding factor. Between several Selmer Serie II, Yamahas and and a Yani 880, this horn came out on top. I had a Guardala silver plate New York and a gold lacquer just before that and, for years before that, a really sweet H. Couf Superba I Keilwerth.

The A990B had the dark core that I was looking for and it also has the clarity and focus to cut through like a good VI. It did take a while to set it up properly though but it is definitely worth it. To my ears it has the vintage Mk VI tone without the honk and tightness in the lower register.