P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Custom 82Z Club??

Default Re: Custom 82Z Club??

I have an auction on Ebay at the moment for a G3 gold lacquered neck if anyone is interested. Thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-G3-Ne...item3f0d5caf6c

Quote Originally Posted by HeyJoe View Post
    I think your description of the G3 & G1 are perfecto! IntJazz...I didn't like the G3 at first because of the resistance, although it's not too much, as I was so used to the free-blowing G1-but now that I have the G3 I really like the sound of it alot more so than the G1. I also have a GP G3 along with the silver G3, and I think that the GP G3 offers a little more to the sound than the silver...the lower register sounds a little bit fatter and overhaul the tone to me sounds richer, also the altissimo sounds slightly thicker. The downside is the GP G3 cost $540 now at musiciansfriend.com. When I first bought it, it was only like $440.
    Thanks, HeyJoe! I like the sound of the G3 better than the G1 as well. I have the gold lacquered G3, but I'm thinking maybe the silver plated would be even better? The gold-plate is out of my price range now, lol!

Anyway, I think the consensus from reading all I can about the G1 vs. G3 issue is that the G3 is darker, more resistant, and more suited to jazz. If only I'd had one years ago when I bought 82Z! Oh well...

82 Z Goldlack is coming tomorrow . I'm excited about having it on my hands!!!! I'll let you know my impressions .

I've already received it but it has a problem with low D that makes it sound horrible.
    I dont know if sending it back or trying to fix it.
    Is that usual with saxes sent by mail?

If it's only a neck, sometimes it might have to be adjusted slightly as the receiver sizes differ. It usually involves a slight bending of the octave key. Unless you know exactly what you are doing, I would leave it in the hands of a qualified tech. It is a pretty simple and quick adjustment. It is probably hanging open slightly, thus causing problems with your low d

Quote Originally Posted by ZOAVJ View Post
    I've already received it but it has a problem with low D that makes it sound horrible.
    I dont know if sending it back or trying to fix it.
    Is that usual with saxes sent by mail?
    You should take it to a repair tech to check it out. He can verify the whole horn is in good shape, and adjust the little things that are normal from a new horn via the mail. Also, a new horn will have settling, where corks, felts and pads may need a slight adjustment. It should be quick and cheap.

Solved!!!! I took it to my teacher and adjusted some screws and sounds great!!.
    The only thing I miss is a fat sound in the low registers.

Don't want to give you GAS, but maybe see if trying a G3 neck makes a difference....

I had 4 Z tenors and they all had a huge fat bottom end to them,much bigger than any of my MK6 horns or other selmers i had.Sounds like you need more tweaking done on your Z.
    Wedding Solo Saxophone Player For Hire www.smoothsaxsounds.com
    www.youtube.com/saxdaveboy www.soundcloud.com/daveysax1 Tenor Yamaha YTS82Z UL WOF# Yamaha VI Silver plated neck Sakshama B Marsalis G mp, Soprano Elkhart Deluxe, Alto Elkhart Deluxe , www.facebook.com/thedandbjazzproject?www.dbjazz.co.uk

Let your teacher play the horn. If he can get the fat sound, all you have to do is practice!

If not, you might want to have it checked for leaks.

My teacher played the horn and got the same feeiling. Related to G3, GAS is a temptation but I'll try first to get more from G1

Thanks all for your comments and I'm really happy of being a new Custom Z club member

YAS-82ZS
    Yamaha V1S Neck
    Vandoren Optimum AL3
    Charles Bay "Baroque" Ligature
    Rico Reserve Classic 3+
    YAS-82ZS / Selmer S90 - 180 / 2-Screw Gold Baroque Bay Ligature / Traditional Vandoren 3.5

Forum Contributor 2011 Call Me Rockstar's Avatar

Just became a 2nd term member!

YAS-82Z Black Lacquer
    Yamaha G3 Neck
    Theo Wanne Durga 9 Vintified Piece
    Legere Signature Series 2.75 Reeds
    "It is good that war is so terrible, else we would grown too fond of it."
    Gen. Robert E. Lee at the Battle of Fredericksburg, VA. 1862.

I recently bought a slightly (very slightly) used Custom 82Z alto (G 1 neck) and had it professionally set up by one of the best technicians in the Portland, Oregon area. I have the standard Yamaha 4C mouthpiece, a Vandoren AL3 mouthpiece, and a Berg Larsen metal 80/1M mouthpiece. My problem is that open C sharp and the C just below it play quite flat with the Yamaha and Vandoren mouthpieces while the rest of the horn plays in tune. It is slightly better with the Berg Larsen mouthpiece. Has anyone one out there had a similar problem and, if so, what was the fix. Thanks !

I'm not a fan of the G series necks. I use a Phil Barone neck and it has been a great match for my 82Z. Beside the great tone it has, the neck helps with the intonation problems and opens up the horn more.
    YAS 82z-ul Acoustimax Woodstone Lig.
    P. Mauriat 66R Saxscape

Thanks Vandlay, I will check out the neck you recommended. Since I posted last, a fellow member of the community band I play in tried my horn with an older Selmer S80 C * mouthpiece. It played in tune for him. I think I might try a similar mouthpiece first before spending the money on a new neck. Does anybody out there have any other recommendations? Thanks, laldridg

Über Geek
    Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SOTW Member

I had the same problem with a Z alto I had (that's a flat note on a lot of altos, but this was WAY flat), and used the same solution as Vandlay. Phil's neck evened up the scale nicely, and gave the horn a lot more presence. If it helps, I bought the neck used here in the forum marketplace, but I bet you could also get a decent deal by contacting Phil directly.
    "Nothing is worse for a musician than getting an opportunity you aren't prepared for." - Quincy Jones

Quote Originally Posted by laldridg View Post
    I recently bought a slightly (very slightly) used Custom 82Z alto (G 1 neck) and had it professionally set up by one of the best technicians in the Portland, Oregon area. I have the standard Yamaha 4C mouthpiece, a Vandoren AL3 mouthpiece, and a Berg Larsen metal 80/1M mouthpiece. My problem is that open C sharp and the C just below it play quite flat with the Yamaha and Vandoren mouthpieces while the rest of the horn plays in tune. It is slightly better with the Berg Larsen mouthpiece. Has anyone one out there had a similar problem and, if so, what was the fix. Thanks !
    Did the tech know about the flat notes, because if it is only C# & C, maybe he can adjust the height of the relevant key/pad?

I'm in...
    A proper introduction of the beauty queen can be found here http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthr...81#post1751381

Uber Geek, Thanks for seconding Vandlay's recommendation. Did you buy a brass laquered neck to match the horn (I am assuming you have a laquered horn like mine). Also, what mouthpiece/(s) did you use when the intonation evened out with the Phil Barone neck? Thanks for the help. This is a great forum. laldridg

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast