P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Custom 82Z Club??

Default Re: Custom 82Z Club??

Left the club to join the Borgani club but when cash is right i will getting another z to add to the borg,1 of each would be niceeeeeeee
    Wedding Solo Saxophone Player For Hire www.smoothsaxsounds.com
    www.youtube.com/saxdaveboy www.soundcloud.com/daveysax1 Tenor Yamaha YTS82Z UL WOF# Yamaha VI Silver plated neck Sakshama B Marsalis G mp, Soprano Elkhart Deluxe, Alto Elkhart Deluxe , www.facebook.com/thedandbjazzproject?www.dbjazz.co.uk

I'll be joining the club once my transaction goes through with another SOTWer. Can't wait to play on my Z!
    Alto: YAS-82Z with Vandoren Optimum mouthpiece and ligature
    Soprano: Yanagisawa S6/S800 (Martin stencil) with Vandoren V5

Dropped a Selmer SA80 II for an YTS-82z - it' s a whole new world!

YTS-82z Laquered
    Vandoren Optimum TL4 (for classical)/JodyJazz DV (for jazz and rock)
    Soprano: Yanagisawa S901. Alto:Yamaha YAS-875EX. Tenor: Yamaha YTS-82z. Baritone: Yamaha YBS-62.
    Mouthpieces: Vandoren(SAT), Meyer (SAB), Phil-Tone(A), JodyJazz(TB), Yanagisawa(S).

Forum Contributor 2013
    Distinguished SOTW Member

Quote Originally Posted by Borganiboy View Post
    Left the club to join the Borgani club but when cash is right i will getting another z to add to the borg,1 of each would be niceeeeeeee
    Just got my Silver plated 82Z tenor last month and LOVED it. Roo pads, brass resonators, tight and right. Then I saw a good deal on a gold plated Borgani...Now, I'm out of the club too...

The Silver 82Z will be posted FS soon.

Come on guys, this G.A.S. Is contagious....

Quote Originally Posted by Woosax View Post
    Just got my Silver plated 82Z tenor last month and LOVED it. Roo pads, brass resonators, tight and right. Then I saw a good deal on a gold plated Borgani...Now, I'm out of the club too...

The Silver 82Z will be posted FS soon.
    Good choice of both,there both monster horns.Hows the gold borg,the borg are growing in strength,the more the better.
    www.youtube.com/saxdaveboy www.soundcloud.com/daveysax1 Tenor Yamaha YTS82Z UL WOF# Yamaha VI Silver plated neck Sakshama B Marsalis G mp, Soprano Elkhart Deluxe, Alto Elkhart Deluxe , www.facebook.com/thedandbjazzproject?www.dbjazz.co.uk

My YAS-82z will arrive on Monday. I'm so excited to join the club!

Quote Originally Posted by altobarisax View Post
    My YAS-82z will arrive on Monday. I'm so excited to join the club!
    Your in for a treat,so easy to play.Theres slick then theres the Z

Quote Originally Posted by Borganiboy View Post
    Your in for a treat,so easy to play.Theres slick then theres the Z
    So it'll be a noticeable difference from my YAS-475 from the beginning?

Quote Originally Posted by altobarisax View Post
    So it'll be a noticeable difference from my YAS-475 from the beginning?
    For me its yes.The Z flys,sings and the response is lighting fast,very flexible indeed.Great bottom end also.

Forum Contributor 2010 DukeCity's Avatar

Just picked up two Z's yesterday. Had the chance to visit the Atelier in California and play several altos and tenors. Ended up choosing a lacquered alto and tenor, both with high F#. Added a gold-plated F1 neck on the tenor and a gold-plated V1 neck on the alto. The horns played great as is, but the other necks really opened them up. Both of these horns are fantastic! Free-blowing, huge sound, but still focused.

I've had my z for a few months and I love it! I've been looking into to buying a V1 neck and I was wondering is the V1 really worth it? I have the G1 now and I was wondering if switching would be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by ZSax82 View Post
    I've had my z for a few months and I love it! I've been looking into to buying a V1 neck and I was wondering is the V1 really worth it? I have the G1 now and I was wondering if switching would be a good idea.
    On tenor I like the g3 more than the g1 it came with. It's worth checking out, but its hard to know if you'll like the difference or think its worth the money until you try it. If I had an 82z alto, I'd probably be considering that v1 neck as well....

Thanks I think I will check it out. If I don't like the V1 I'll just send it back and maybe try the G3. Who knows maybe in the end I'll end up sticking with the G1.

Dumb question: is the lacquer on the lacquered version of the 82z and darker than the 52 or 62 models? I have been thinking of and 82 myself but have yet to see on in the flesh.

I now have a Vandoren T35 for my tenor, and I use it with Legere Signature #2. I have gone throught his entire thread, and i find that this combination is rather on the "tame" side. Be that as it may, I rather like this mouthpiece.

I play a Custom Z tenor in gold lacquer w/ a G1 neck. I've had it for about 7 years and really love the horn. Thanks to Yamaha's wonderful keywork, I've become a much better player and practicing is more enjoyable than when I was playing on my vintage Conn.

Currently I'm playing a JodyJazz HR* 7 mouthpiece with a Rico H-lig and Vandoren ZZ reeds. I like the setup, but I've ordered a G3 neck based on comments here on the forum. I'm looking forward to A/B'ing the G1 and G3 necks to see which I like better.

I would say the 82Z has a rich tone and good core sound. Non-sax playing listeners have all complimented the sound, and some even prefer my sound on the 82Z to my tone on the Conn 10M. I would say that the Conn "screams" more and urges me to really play out, while the 82Z is more introspective. I just want to stand next to a wall in my room and play it for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by flatcarwillie View Post
    Dumb question: is the lacquer on the lacquered version of the 82z and darker than the 52 or 62 models? I have been thinking of and 82 myself but have yet to see on in the flesh.
    Much darker on the Z,it looks and sounds fantastic but when you see a silver plated Z,now thats sexy.

I received my G3 Yamaha neck and I've had a few days to test it out. Obviously, this is my subjective judgment so YMMV.

My impression is that the G3 neck makes the tone "smoother" and slightly richer. It is slightly more resistive than the G1, but that is a good thing because I feel now like the 82Z is "singing" rather than "screaming." The G1 neck, especially on the notes around the palm keys, really screams and offers almost no resistance at all. I suppose it would be great for doing rock or RnB where you really need to cut through a mix.

However, for jazz, to me it's hands down the G3 neck. It just makes my 82Z a better horn. It's slightly darker, more centered, and more complex of a sound. The intonation of the palm key notes is dead on and they come out in a lovely rounded, singing quality.

The G1 is brighter, more raucous, and less focused. My girlfriend described my sound with the G1 neck as "happy" (I think meaning bright) and with the G3 as more reserved (I think meaning "dark"). The G1 also offers less to push against, and therefore gives me less feedback as I'm playing. I can't believe I waited so long to get the G3 neck, because I'm really loving it and it steps the 82Z up another notch. It's definitely worth the $$ considering that you can eBay the G1 for a couple hundred bucks.

I think your description of the G3 & G1 are perfecto! IntJazz...I didn't like the G3 at first because of the resistance, although it's not too much, as I was so used to the free-blowing G1-but now that I have the G3 I really like the sound of it alot more so than the G1. I also have a GP G3 along with the silver G3, and I think that the GP G3 offers a little more to the sound than the silver...the lower register sounds a little bit fatter and overhaul the tone to me sounds richer, also the altissimo sounds slightly thicker. The downside is the GP G3 cost $540 now at musiciansfriend.com. When I first bought it, it was only like $440.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast