Sax on the Web Forum banner

Custom 82Z Club??

177K views 465 replies 205 participants last post by  EdEarle 
#1 ·
Anyone up for starting The Custom 82Z Club?

#345 ·
Just had my Z tenor overhauled by Jack Finucane (purchased new only 2 1/2 years ago and needing an overhaul, but that story has already been posted) - and what an amazing job he did, and what an amazing sax. Now I finally know what a Z is supposed to play like when it is set up properly and with a good set of pads. It's like I just got a new Z. My VI is about to go back into hibernation.

#346 ·
Jack's the man! He did my Z a couple of months ago and it's amazing now.

#349 ·
I already have played an 82Z tenor for a few years now but just added an alto 82Z. Picked it up used and it needs a quick trip to my tech to fix a few leaks but even as-is I love the way it plays! I have a Barone neck I'm trying with it but so far I like the crisp sound of the G1.

#352 ·
Just a update, I just recently had my Custom Z Worked on by Andy Schlinder almost a month ago and man, what a difference the work he did on my horn made! I ended up getting Music Medic Roo Pads and Oversized Domed Resonators put in my Z along with key swedging and other adjustments done to the horn. My horn has never played this great nor sounded this resonant. I am very happy with the work and very happy about how the horn sounds and responds now!

#353 ·
I just had a chance to play the new custom z11 tenor .its an amazing horn .Ive played mark 6s for years and I think I like it a little more. now Im scrambling to sell some stuff to get the money together .Ill hang on to my selmers but would love to own one. I had tried the zs before and liked them(great horns) but the new z in my opinion is a incredibly smoking tenor!

#354 ·
The ZII are fantastic as is the original Z horns. I tested a few ZII's along side some original Z's and about 6 MKVI tenors. I found its really just the new Yam V1 neck that's the difference, that's why I just got a new silver plated V1 neck for my original Z. This combo gives me 10% more of everthing I want/like.

#355 ·
I bought YSS Custom 82Z yesterday. Absolutely love it. Tested 5 times and compared 4 brands such as Selmer, Yanagisawa, Keilwerth and Yamaha. Found comfort and easy blowing. I am pretty happy. This is my last dream comes truth. 6 years ago Buffet Crampon R 13. 3 years ago Selmer Alto 80 Super Action series II Jubilee and now YAMAHA. To be honest I was sceptical about Yamaha BUT after testing and comparison I prefer for soprano this brand and model - YAMAHA CUSTOM 82Z FOREVER. Use only Jody Jazz DV 7 or 7# for soprano and reeds ONLY Legere Signature 2 1/4 or 2 2/4. For me this is the best combination.

#360 ·
So happy to be the newest member of this club. Picked up an 82z lacquered tenor off eBay last week and I have to say of all the 20+ saxes I have owned to date this is by far and away the best, blow your socks off brilliant sax of them all. (the list would include Mark VI, Keilwerth Selmer Yani etc). I cannot comprehend that from the very start of playing it I have not failed to hit an altissimo note whereas before I would be 50-50. It is as if I was just playing a note within the normal range it is that easy. Perhaps the lovely Durga mouthpiece I am using helps!
Went to band practice last night and every member of the band came up to me after and said "the brass sounded great tonight" and the only change was my 82z. It is definately a keeper!
(bythe way I read every page of this thread before chosing to buy a z so thanks to all previous posters and I hope my comments persuade another to join our club!!!)

#366 ·
I'm leaving the club, sorry...I bought a Mark VI last month, than several days after purchasing it, I bought a Keilwerth SX-90R black-nickel in like brand new condition, on here that was too cheap, pricewise, to pass up so I bought it as well. I love both of my 2 tenors, I don't need 3, so looks like my silver Z's gonna get the boot!...Z's are o.k. horns though...adios amigos!...Joe.

#367 ·
After 30+ years of playing a Selmer Balanced Action as my main alto, I've been playing on a new 82ZII alto for the last 10 days and has really made me look at a totally new way of expressing myself. I think I've been in a rut for a long time and I didn't even know it. The 82Z has made it possible for me to "flex and blend" the music and allow me to do what I feel like doing. This thing just opened up my whole sound and the best thing about it is that I have so much more control without working hard. The trade off is that the tone isn't as "sweet" as the SBA but it is very easy to adjust without thinking too much about it. The more I play it, the more I wonder about an 82Z tenor.

#372 ·
I'm on a YAS-82Z, un-lacquered and a V1 neck...changed pads to domed metal resonators and the thing cooks. I've had for sometime a Phil-Tone Aurora....the dark mouthpiece and the smoking horn is a really incredible pairing but I'm now looking to change mouthpieces...either a Phil-Tone Rift (maybe too bright), a Ted Klum Tonamax or a NY....still thinking on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.