Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Recording to Apple: Garage Band

I've finally had enough of Microsoft and Vista in particular, having encountered no end of problems attempting to record my sax to various software.

I'm currently reseaching Macs and am undecided whether to buy an iMac or a MacBook Pro.

One thing I've been wondering is how much RAM I will need to make Garage Band run quickly and smoothly. Is 2GB enough or do I need to upgrade to 4GB?

Other than Garage Band I don't intend to use any memory hungry applications, just the standard office stuff, internet and e-mail.

Advice from Garage Band users would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Default Re: Recording to Apple: Garage Band

2gB will work fine for garageband, unless you're planning on recording several track simultaneously, or with a lot of effects. I recorded several things on a 2002 800 Mhz powerbook with only 1 gB of RAM. There was only a slight latency if I recorded while using effects.

Tricking out your mac with plenty of RAM is a good idea, though. The secret is to not order RAM from Apple. Order extra RAM from a good third party vendor like Other World Computing. It's much, much cheaper.
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2011

2 gigs of RAM is plenty. I record in Garageband using my 1.33 GHz PowerPC G4 with the 512 MB of RAM that came with it. I also use Cubase on the same machine. Granted I don't record a lot of tracks at the same time or do effects-heavy stuff as hak said, but it's all I need to get the job done.
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 2, bunch of other instruments
    Wall Of Blues, youtube video, P-Town All-Stars, get Rich, Cannons (my band in the 60's) and Cannons record

Thanks.

I guess I've been unduly worried owing to my experiences with the power-sapping Vista!....

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMusicMan View Post
    2 gigs of RAM is plenty. I record in Garageband using my 1.33 GHz PowerPC G4 with the 512 MB of RAM that came with it. I also use Cubase on the same machine. Granted I don't record a lot of tracks at the same time or do effects-heavy stuff as hak said, but it's all I need to get the job done.

OWC has RAM for less than 50 bucks for your machine...
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

Forum Contributor 2007 fballatore's Avatar

I disagree. You can never have too much RAM, and RAM is CHEAP these days. An extra 2GB RAM should run you about $25-30 (Kingston). Just about any app will run better on a Mac with more RAM, but especially memory intensive apps like Garage Band.
    "You can play a shoestring if you're sincere." - John Coltrane

"If you can't play in time and in tune the rest doesn't matter." - Keith Ridenhour

I agree: RAM and hard-drive space is TOO CHEAP to worry about these days.

Max it out and you wont have to worry about it.

Thanks.

At the moment my plan is to max the RAM and to upgrade to a faster hard drive (7200).

However I intend to keep the hard drive at 250GB to encourage good storage habits. I've experienced the horror of a crashed hard drive which contained all the family photo's so now I try to back everything up regularly to disc or a second hard drive

Good going.

After you've mastered garageband, take a look at Logic. It's amazing.

Distinguished SOTW Member ratracer's Avatar

I like to use http://www.crucial.com/. I've upgraded the memory for a PC and my iMac using their memory. Just upgraded the iMac from 512MB to 2GB. It was $12/GB for two 1GB cards, plus shipping, of course. Much cheaper than buying from Apple and it's very easy to install. Just make sure you're grounded or otherwise static free!

Quote Originally Posted by ratracer View Post
    I like to use http://www.crucial.com/. I've upgraded the memory for a PC and my iMac using their memory. Just upgraded the iMac from 512MB to 2GB. It was $12/GB for two 1GB cards, plus shipping, of course. Much cheaper than buying from Apple and it's very easy to install. Just make sure you're grounded or otherwise static free!
    Yeah, either crucial or OWC. I added 4 Gb to my Mac Pro from OWC.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007 Peterogping's Avatar

I just ordered from crucial. They have a European site: http://www.crucial.com/eu/index.aspx
    The coolest is that they can scan your computer and tell you how much and what kind of memory you can install.
    And cost was around 40 € for 1 plus 2 GB including shipping with UPS and Danish VAT included.
    Soprano: Martin Handcraft, ARB HR 5* mpc, Charles Bay lig.
    Alto: King Marigaux, MC Gregory Master 5A 18M mpc., Charles Bay ligature / Pierret Super Artiste, Otto Link "Master Link" #3 mpc, Charles Bay soprano lig.
    Tenor: King Zephyr Military 265xxx, Dukoff Fluted Chamber 5* HR, Charles Bay ligature / Brilhart Streamline Tonalin (Great Neck) #4, Charles Bay lig.

Distinguished SOTW Member crazydaisydoo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hakukani View Post
    Good going.

After you've mastered garageband, take a look at Logic. It's amazing.
    Great advice, Garageband is good, and easy to use. One thing it lacks is very high quality reverb and compression.

You don't need to buy the full version of Logic, tucked away deep within the bowels of the apple store you will find Logic Express, which is a STEAL. It has nearly all the functionality, and you can upgrade to full Logic for the same total price later on.

Please use Garageband first though, the interface is similar and it is a good way of making the learning curve a little gentler....

Good luck.

Distinguished SOTW Member crazydaisydoo's Avatar

Just noticed you are in the UK Dave C, so look out for grey imports of Logic Express for around £75 on ebay, all fully legal. That is where I got mine from. Don't pay the Apple store price of £126. There is a credit crunch on you know......

TK Melody Endorser/
    Forum Contributor 2013

Thank you guys for posting all this helpful Mac recording knowledge here.

I am about to purchase a 2009 24" iMac,4GB,320GB,2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. What else do I need to start recording sax, voice and piano on Garage Band?

B
    “We are what we repeatedly do.
    Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.”
    ~Aristotle

You'll need a firewire or USB interface, and some microphones.

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

Or just a USB microphone maybe. Never tried one, it was just a thought.

TK Melody Endorser/
    Forum Contributor 2013

What is firewire? I know what a USB interface is, and I think I understand how it works from watching Crazydaisydoo videos. B
    “We are what we repeatedly do.
    Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.”
    ~Aristotle

Official Spender of Too Much Time on SOTW/P. Mauriat Fanatic jmoen3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by modman View Post
    What is firewire? I know what a USB interface is, and I think I understand how it works from watching Crazydaisydoo videos. B
    Firewire is a port that is high speed, generally used for digital audio and video devices. It is like a usb port, but designed for firewire devices.

I don't recall what microphone you have for gigs and things, but you can get a preamp to change it to USB, as Hak usually suggests.
    Alto: P. Mauriat 67R w/ Solid Nickel Silver Neck/Drake Custom Ceramic .085/Van. Java 2.5 Reeds and Hahn Synthetic 2.5
    Tenor: CE Winds Brushed Vintage Gold Alpha Tenor/Jody Jazz ESP .120/RJS 2M Unfiled
    Soprano: CE Winds Silver Plated Alpha Saxello/Yanagisawa 7 HR/ Van Java 2.5 Reeds
    My Playing: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=954022
    -Jared

TK Melody Endorser/
    Forum Contributor 2013

I thought it might have to do with video. Thank you for clarifying that. I have an SM57 for vocals, a sennheiser clip-on condensor instrument mic for my saxes, and am going to run the piano direct.

I bought a USB 4 port pre-amp and it was not compatible with my PC nor with Sony Acid Pro 7 so I will see if it works with iMac.

This iMac is a freaking trip!

B

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast