P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Otto Link problems

Default Otto Link problems

It seems to me that my otto link has too small of a chamber. This dawned on me when i was watching some jazz videos on youtube, and all of the otto links chambers looked much larger compared to mine. I know otto links are famous for their large chambers, but is it mossible that mine may be a medium?
    I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.
    -- Miles Davis

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Default Re: Otto Link problems

There are no medium chambers but there are a lot of structural differences between the modern machined links and the vintage link.
    Phil-Tone Custom Woodwinds
    Custom Mouthpiece Design

www.Phil-Tone.com

Distinguished SOTW Member SaxPlayer1004's Avatar

Welcome to the forum. Were the videos of the actual inside of the mouthpiece or just the exterior? The walls on links aren't incredibly thick, and your link may be a "dud". The modern links seem to be hit and miss on quality since they aren't hand finished anymore. If the piece is playing fine, and you are getting the sound you want, then you're all set. If you are having problems, you may want to try different tip openings, or sending it out and getting it refaced. This will fix any inconsistencies in the metal and can help get the modern links to sound similar to the vintage ones. There are a couple of great mouthpiece guru's all over the forum, mojobari etc.

Haha thanks for the welcome saxplayer1004. And no it was not from the inside and it could very well be that the walls were thicker than mine. But when i look inside my mouthpiece it does not seem to get any smaller at the bore. And i know mine is modern link and not of the best quality, can't get any seal on it. I actually play on a Kessler mouthpiece but i've always wondered about my link (it's what i started on)
    I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.
    -- Miles Davis

Modern New York model links have a large chamber.

Distinguished Mouthpiece Designer/Maker/Forum Contributor 2014 Phil Barone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Landalin View Post
    It seems to me that my otto link has too small of a chamber. This dawned on me when i was watching some jazz videos on youtube, and all of the otto links chambers looked much larger compared to mine. I know otto links are famous for their large chambers, but is it mossible that mine may be a medium?
    I'll do you a freebie if you send it to me. Just pay for shipping. Phil