Antigua Winds

Default Gene Ammons transcription

Hi All,

I thought I'd start off the New Year by adding a transcription of a Gene Ammons solo on Autumn Leaves to my website ( www.scooby-sax.com ).

I'll add Sonny Stitt's solo from the same recording next week.

Enjoy!

-- Scooby
    "... trying to play clean and looking for the pretty notes." -- Charlie Parker
    www.scooby-sax.com

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Default Re: Gene Ammons transcription

Great album! I heard Jug had one of the biggest live sounds ever. Those Stitt solos are meticulous...

Distinguished SOTW Member Jazz Is All's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Otto View Post
    Great album! I heard Jug had one of the biggest live sounds ever. Those Stitt solos are meticulous...
    Jeff, many thanks! It's greatly appreciated.
    "We don't determine music, the music determines us; We only follow it to the end of our life: then it goes on without us." -- Steve Lacy

Thanks Scooby! I've been working on this solo for the past month or so. This is a great recording!

I've been transcribing solos like this one and memorizing them until I can play with the recording "without looking."

I enjoy working with recorded solos like these but I could use some practical advise on how to use transcriptions to improve my improvisation skills. I fear that my efforts are in vain... ...but I have fun transcribing.

Sonnyside,

First, have a look at :

http://scooby-sax.com/transcription_method.aspx

That page has my thoughts on the transcription process and what to do with the solos when you're done.

Next have a look at:

http://scooby-sax.com/online_lessons.aspx

There are two lessons that start with a solo by Sonny Stitt and Wardell Gray and give some suggestions on how to incorporate and extend the vocabulary found in the solos.

- Scooby
    www.scooby-sax.com

Thanks Scooby-
    You have a very well organized website. I guess I typically skip your "step 6: isolating patterns and transposing." By skipping this step I don't gain the facility to use what I've learned in a playing situation. I am left seeing the entire solo as one "big idea." I jump right on to the next solo to transcribe.

I suppose one could save time by transcribing and transposing an isolated phrase instead of the entire solo?

Distinguished SOTW Member DanPerezSax's Avatar

Thanks man! I'll have fun with these tomorrow, and then some, probably (haven't looked yet).

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Thanks, I love Ammons's playing and tone, This record is one of my favourites.
    I have been working on the one of the other tracks " The one before that"
    It's a funny one note theme with a bridge.
    I try to learn the solo without actually transcribing but getting it to stick in my memory. It's hard but once it's in there it lastst forever. So I didn't write it down yet, when I do I'll post it.

Sonnyside,

Thanks for the comments on the website.

As far as transcribing, I don't have any hard and fast rules. Certainly for those solos that I post on the website, I learn the whole solo and write it down fairly carefully. In other cases, I'll just hear a cool phrase in the middle of someone's solo and grab that.

In all cases, I follow the method I listed on my website. I listen to it until I can sing it, learn it on my horn, and then as the last step, write it down.

It's funny what you hear when you listen so closely for so long. For example, on this Gene Ammons recording, the drummer's high-hat drives me crazy! It sounds like the pedal needs a squirt of WD-40. Just before the click of high-hat there's an annoying squeak. Not that bad if you're just listening casually to the CD, but man, it makes my teeth hurt when I listen to the solos over and over again.

- Scooby
    www.scooby-sax.com