Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Re: Wayne Shorter and Sidney Bechet's Soprano Set up.

The general consensus around here on Bechet is that he played (mostly) a Buescher soprano of a relatively early vintage (round pearl G# key). No one has been able to come to any conclusions on his mouthpiece, unless some new info has been found recently.

Wayne Shorter uses a hard rubber Otto Link mouthpiece with a very open tip (#10, I believe).

Thanks Saxydude. What kind of horn does Wayne play?

Jaleel - Last I heard Wayne was playing a Yamaha Custom soprano in silver.

Distinguished SOTW Member HeavyWeather77's Avatar

I'd be curious to hear what you're playing on, Jaleel.

Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011

Wayne is using an old Slant Signature Otto Link for soprano (word is that its a 10*, but it could realistically measure anything), and he is a Yamaha artist - so his soprano changes depending on what he's helping them develop.

According to the Yamaha guys up here in Canada, Wayne is playing one of the prototypes for the Custom-Z soprano, which up until recently was based off the 875 scale. From what I was told, they were 90% going to release it like that, and Branford Marsalis had borrowed a 62RS (Bent neck, and silver plated) in Europe and came back to them saying - "This is what I want". Seeing as how Yamaha destroyed the tooling for the 62R, they have been working hard to reverse engineer it with some subtle changes (that's why we haven't seen the Z soprano).

Jaleel, contact Yamaha. If you try and buy a used 62RS, it will probably run you the better part of $3500 (and you won't be able to try before you buy if you buy online) when you can probably either A). get an endorsement from Yamaha, or B). wait for the new Z soprano to come out and it will be cheaper. Word on the street is that they are going to be pricing it low compared to the Yanagisawa and Selmer sopranos.

YOU sound great man!

Quote Originally Posted by unbalancedaction View Post
    wait for the new Z soprano to come out and it will be cheaper. Word on the street is that they are going to be pricing it low compared to the Yanagisawa and Selmer sopranos.
    Hmmm... production NOT in Japan?

Default FYI--Mr. Shorter's COMPLETE Setup--from a few years back

FYI--

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthr...complete+setup

To my understanding this was found on a very early bulletin board that is now defunct, and may have been posted by Wayne himself (or someone very close to him). I tend to believe it, too, given the "Pompano" references; (sounds like language Wayne or another eccentric pro would use ).

Shorter plays on a Silver Selmer Series III Soprano.No idea about the mouthpiece or the reed.
    But Jaleel, for sure you have been closer to Shorter than anyone of us.
    Great job in the Mingus Big Band, i saw you guys many times.Just one time i saw you in the Opera House in Cork City (Ireland) and the Band just played three songs.The public was really annoyed.
    Now i've got to get deeper in your solo work.
    Best regards.

i hold wayne`s soprano in my hands 2 years ago and it was heavy and very old,i think it was an old yamaha,it had a leather`"coat "on the thumphook(sorry for my bad english)
    grooove,feel,and flooooow

You'll probably pay a lot more than USD 3,500 for a YSS-62RS!!!!!
    David Boyles
    Currently playing Yamaha YSS-62R, Conn F Mezzo, Martin Skyline Handcraft Alto, Lyon & Healy C Melody, Buescher "Big B" tenor, Yani B901 Baritone

Ooops... Sorry for the delayed response... I haven't been here in a while.. Thanks for your answers. Does anyone know what kind of reeds they play/played?
    Heavyweather77 - I play a Keilthwerth SX90. I've had it for yeaaars now.. I'm thinking about switching soon though. I've been checking out Yamaha's Sopranos and I hear they have a new one coming out very soon.
    Thanks Joe Bananas! I'm sorry to hear the crowd didn't dig that Mingus Band Performance... Was it really just 3 songs? lol! I've been there since with Roy Haynes... I guess that was actually over 3 yrs ago now...
    Well, hope you're all well and thanks again...

Bechet bought a new Lafleur inLondon in 1919 he then used a TT and in later years aConn Selmer made an exact replica of his mouthpiece in 1960 approx anybody ever seen one

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Quote Originally Posted by jaleelshaw View Post
    Ooops... Sorry for the delayed response... I haven't been here in a while.. Thanks for your answers. Does anyone know what kind of reeds they play/played?
    Heavyweather77 - I play a Keilthwerth SX90. I've had it for yeaaars now.. I'm thinking about switching soon though. I've been checking out Yamaha's Sopranos and I hear they have a new one coming out very soon.
    Thanks Joe Bananas! I'm sorry to hear the crowd didn't dig that Mingus Band Performance... Was it really just 3 songs? lol! I've been there since with Roy Haynes... I guess that was actually over 3 yrs ago now...
    Well, hope you're all well and thanks again...
    I just read this post. Jaleel, I don't think the comment meant the crowd didn't dig the Mingus band, rather that it was annoyed because they ONLY played three songs.
    "Zoot" would a good name for a kid...

Wayne Shorter is now playing a Yanigasawa 991 bronze model as of 8 months ago. I just met him and he said he really liked it.

I would like to know his tenor setup though

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonixer89 View Post
    Wayne Shorter is now playing a Yanigasawa 991 bronze model as of 8 months ago.
    Aha! That explains the underslung neck octave key on the soprano he's playing in this VIDEO

Distinguished SOTW Member and Columnist
    Forum Contributor 2014

Yani bronze line ends in 2 so that would make it a S992 which is a very nice instrument.
    "I played the wrong, wrong notes." - Thelonious Monk
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Quinn the Eskimo Vintage Horns ~ Woodwind Forums ~ The Bis Key Chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonixer89 View Post
    Wayne Shorter is now playing a Yanigasawa 991 bronze model as of 8 months ago. I just met him and he said he really liked it.
    I guess he finally saw the light ; ) Presume you mean Yanagisawa . . .

Regardless what Wayne uses now, I much prefer his Weather Report-era sound, with the slant sig. Link and the Mark VI. I like the oboe/English horn quality of the large-chamber Link he used. His sound seemed to fit his less-is-more playing style.
    web.me.com/bbarner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast