Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smile Altissimo G on Tenor

I recently got out the altissimo G on alto, and now I need to do it on tenor.
    My school's jazz band is playing Channel One Suite, and I'd like to get to a high G as the last note of my solo. I also want it to be easily heard without much of a subtone.

I'm using a Selmer tenor sax with a C star mouthpiece. I've played sax for more than seven years now.

Thanks in advance =)

Default Re: Altissimo G on Tenor

Front F key and side Bb works for G on tenor.
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

Do you have a high F# key? If you do: left hand -octave key and B key, right hand - side Bb and high F#.

I tried the front F and B flat before, and it isn't very consistent on my tenor. Sometimes it comes out but usually it doesn't.

And yes, I have a high F#. I've tried that fingering as well, and that one seems to work the best out of the ones I've tried, but it comes out with a slight subtone. Are there any others worth trying?

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by darksarcasm View Post
    And yes, I have a high F#. I've tried that fingering as well, and that one seems to work the best out of the ones I've tried, but it comes out with a slight subtone. Are there any others worth trying?
    That fingering has been clear as a bell on any F# tenor I've ever tried. Keep working on it for a while and see if it clears up. If the tone still has a subtone, you may want to have your horn checked for leaks.

Forum Contributor 2013

You can also check the way the front F opens up the high F key. I've found alt is easiest if it just opens a crack...
    Disclaimer: My opinions are not based in any way on research, knowledge, experience, talent, insight, facts, or in some cases reality. Take any advice I offer at your own risk.

A few of Pete's recordings: Check it Out!

Über Geek
    Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SOTW Member

Quote Originally Posted by hakukani View Post
    That's how I get it. You might try fingering F (using the front F + RH2) first, then F# (using the side Bb + RH1), and then see if you can "pop" it out by lifting LH2 and RH1 as you speed up the air.

Also, overtones make all the difference if you're not already doing them.
    "Nothing is worse for a musician than getting an opportunity you aren't prepared for." - Quincy Jones

I also use Front F and side Bb on my tenor(82Z). Maybe try slurring from the altissimo F# fingering to it and see if you can get it more steady.
    Stop bombarding me with your facts and sciences!

Quote Originally Posted by asaxman View Post
    Do you have a high F# key? If you do: left hand -octave key and B key, right hand - side Bb and high F#.
    I think this one speaks better and is in better tune than front F + side Bb. I use front F + side Bb because the fingering flows better for me from other fingerings and I'm used to making it work well.

Insert cutesy caption du jour here TommyD69's Avatar

On my YTS-62II I use the Octave key + Front F + side Bb + G# (left hand pinky)

That takes out the sub-tone noise for me...
    Musical Theory of Relativity: E=Fb

Forum Contributor 2008-2013

I tried the front F and B flat before, and it isn't very consistent on my tenor. Sometimes it comes out but usually it doesn't.
    Now is not the time to tack it on as the last note of a solo.
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

Just try to make your throat feel like youre singing really high and squeeze the keys. I use front F and side Bb + register key. If at first you dont succeed, play overtones, work on other high notes (f, f#), and just keep trying until it finally blasts out. Also, try playing with your bottom lip out, not really covering your teeth as much, more like a whistle embochure

Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008 martysax's Avatar
    Boston (pronounced: Bahsten), Massachusetts

My Mark VI is nice and clear using just the front F and octave key.

My Super 20 is totally different.
    Just two questions: Where's the Bar located relative to the stage, and does the band get a discount?

Songs I recorded with The Cyclones

Check out my new informative site!

Distinguished SOTW Member Carl H.'s Avatar

Not all tenors do this note well. I thought I was going insane for years because I couldn't come up with a decent G on my tenor. In college it was a piece of cake on the horns I used there - The Martin, MK VI. I thought in review I must have really sucked at those notes back then because now I couldn't get them without some very odd fingerings and serious note bending..

Different tenor now and altissimo is a piece of cake, I just think it and out it pops. Life is so good again. I'd suggest trying a few different horns and seeing if it works better for you on a different tenor. Sometimes you just have to give up, and it isn't always your fault either, but I suspect you'll just keep on trying til you find it. (I did)

Good luck.
    So far, this is the oldest I've been.

Something I noticed, maybe others as well, I can get a nice full G3 with: fork F+4+side Bb+ Eb (optional), and NO octave key. F3 and F#3 (fork and altiss. fingering respectively) also pop out nice and clear without the octave key. I wonder how many others find this to be true? Or if not, will it aid in these notes for them? I often play D2 and above without the octave key to get more overtone exercises in my practicing, work on controlling my throat, embouchure, etc. I know many on this forum have advocated playing these notes without the octave key for just such practice. I find it works pretty well.

FYI: I'm playing a SA80 (I), NY Link 8* and LaVoz medium reeds (or RSJ 3 soft).

IMO- hardest note on any saxophone.
    Maybe its your Reed/Mouthpiece setup? Maybe strengthen your reed and/or switch to a more jazz friendly mpc...

Side Note-Steve Marcus played a Link (Buddy Rich 1st tenor)

NB

Forum Contributor 2013

If you've just started work on tenor altissimo G you may need to be a little patient. The octave, front F with or without side Bb has worked for me on every tenor I've ever played, (I don't know of a major brand that I haven't owned ), so this should work, but there is a chance that it won't work for you on your horn. Time will tell.

Distinguished SOTW Member jazzcat58's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hakukani View Post
    interesting! most agree this works for high G for me that gives F#! and G would be LH 1,3 RH 1,3 with the side C key added for G#
    bs gunning

On my Martin G is the hardest altissimo note. I've just come from 15 years on a Selmer SA80 with a high F# key where LH1 with side Bb and high F# was the easiest G3 imaginable. Now I'm trying to adjust to it being much harder - I can get it with front F plus side Bb and octave key, but it does a Brecker split very easily (12 years ago I would have been the happiest teenager in the world, screeching away...) the note doesn't go, just splits. So I've been trying WITHOUT the octave key which gives a fuller and more reliable loud G3, but there is a low overtone that is more noticable at low volume and octave on works better for that. It would be ridiculous to have to choose a fingering to match the volume I want to play the note! Just going to have to work on it...

SOTW Columnist

Are there any others worth trying?
    You could try: octave key LH 1,3 RH 3

But this is a note that requires careful voicing. Use good breath support, but back off a bit on the air flow.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast